Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new '04 Nissan Murano in Feb of 2004.

To date it has less that 500 km on it.

The first time I took it through a touch-less car wash the sunroof started leaking in the wash.
I made sure the glass roof was fully closed, and just has the inside slide door opened purposely to check for leaks. To my surprise, it was dripping water from the roof.
I contacted my dealership the next day and had booked an appointment the for the following week.
I explained to them what happened and was told to leave the SUV for the day for inspection.
A few hours later I was told I can pick up my SUV. I was given 2 different answers from my dealership
service department and one resolution which was UNACCEPTABLE.
I was told explained by one person that the sunroof had these drainage holes to filter out water and that
if its not full drained out, it will drip water if I open the roof. (My roof was not opened when it was dripping.)
Secondly, I was told that Sunoco uses a high pressure system, with that said and my SUV being tall and close to the pressure valves it will lift the moulding around the roof and cause water to slip through. The resolution I was told was not to use Sunoco's washes. Which I feel is not acceptable. I tried another brand of touch-less car wash and it still leaked. I've had other cars and there was no problems with the high pressure washes.
I asked them how did they test for leaks on my SUV while I had left it there.
I was told that the has use a hose and prayed the roof and found no leaks.
Not very effective way to simulate a high pressure wash.
Now if its just the high pressure wash system is causing the problem, if i was driving down the highway at 100km/ hour in the rain with wind speeds of 40 km/ hour,
which is equivalent the high pressure if a car wash, my car will leak.
I've contacted the head office for customser service at Nissan Canada and was given about the same story
and resolution. My second appointment, I had offer them a ticket for the car wash so they can see the leak, but they refused my offer and said that they have their own testing prcedures. When i picked up my Mo, I was told that they had made some minor adjustments to it and it should be fixed. A week later, I asked the salesman who sold me the car to go thru the wash with me. After their adjustment its leaks even more. Now Nissan is saying they can't do anything else. Basically I am screwed. I tried another dealership, but they refuse to help stating that I should deal with my own dealership. I was also told that if they try to claim warrranty on the same issue again after the adjustments, I would have to pay out of product. This is the biggest BS I've ever heard.
I had other cars and there was no problems with the sunroof. I guess Nissan builds crappy cars and doesn;t stand behind their products.
I have a friend who has a Murano as well and there are no leaks in his sunroof.
Although the car is under warranty, Nissan is saying they can't do anything else about it. do I have any recourse?

Please Help.

·
5,244 Posts
Billy,

i used touchless washer number of times. With both the MO and the FX. Both are equiped with sunroofs. No leaks what so ever. I believe you have a case.

Good luck..........

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think u really need to insist that they FIX the problem NOW!
Go to the owner or manager of this place and explain the load of crap his people have been giving you......:3:
Or you can start making your case for a "Warranty Enforcement".
I think that is Canada's equivalent to our Lemon laws we have here
in the US.
Good luck, hang in there and I hope others on this forum who live
in Canada can help you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have sunroof in my MO and in two previous Maximas. No leaks ever. A leaky sunroof is unacceptable. Do whatever it takes to get it fixed.

Another avenue to pursue. Does your local television station have a consumer affairs department? Our stations in the New York tri-state area do and feature consumer conplaints on TV. You'd be amazed at just how quickly issues get resolved once the company name hits the airwaves.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When you say leak, do you mean dripping in substantially? I also tend to use the high pressure automated car washes and have on a few occasions felt a slight miniaiture water drolplet hit my arm when the machine passed over the sunroof. I would think this is kinda normal because of how close the nozzles are to the sunroof and the consiquent increased water pressure directly at the seal. Maybe the particular car wash you are using has a couple of nozzles placed just right to open the seal or maybe they are using a much higher pressure than the others. Try another car wash to see if it still happens. Comparing a direct spray straight at the seal cannot be compared to highway speeds which would have a 90 degree angle of attack and could never even come close to the pressures acheived by a pressure washer. I have yet to see a drop of water anywhere on my interior but like I said, I have felt it on my arm more than once when in the carwash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
muranosl,

A leaking sunroof is unacceptable on a brand new vehicle.

Call Nissan Canada and make your complaint again. Obtain the name of the CSR you speak with.
Now write a letter to Nissan Canada, stating the problem, the date and time you spoke with the CSR, and the responses you've got from the dealership so far.

In the letter, mention that if you are not contacted within a limited time frame (say 2 weeks) with a solution, you may be forced to seek some other form of intervention.....[like say Silverman of Citytv]. Okay, leave Silverman out of it for now. They usually get the message when you let them know you are willing to invite someone else to the round table discussion.

Let's see how quickly they wake up from their slumber.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back to the dealer ship today, for another adjustment.
They sugguested that I remove the sunroof deflector as that may be a factor to the leak. Suggesting that water might be trapped in that section of the roof and cause excess water to leak thru the roof.
I agreed, and the adjustments were made back to the default as it was adujusted last visit.
I went thru the Sunoco wash and it stopped leaking.
I guess i am somewhat satisfied.
The dealership recommended that I don't install the deflector again.
I have have the deflector sitting at home.
Maybe it was the adjustments that fixed it or maybe its was the deflector.
I beleive it might be both as the deflector was probably not installed right at the dealership.

does anyone have a sunroof deflector on their MO?
did u install yourself or at the dealership?

i really want to put mine back on, but don' trust the dealerships workmanship.

anyone from the toronto area?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They sugguested that I remove the sunroof deflector as that may be a factor to the leak. Suggesting that water might be trapped in that section of the roof and cause excess water to leak thru the roof.
I agreed, and the adjustments were made back to the default as it was adujusted last visit.
I beleive it might be both as the deflector was probably not installed right at the dealership.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
828 Posts
I installed myself.

2 clips that hook under the sheet metal and are pulled up by 2 small bolts that go through the deflector.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I had mine installed at the dealer. While I had no problems with the sunroof deflector, the dealer couldn't get my bug deflector attached properly even after 3 visits. At that point I took things into my own hands, and it worked properly from then on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got my sunroof deflector and hood deflector from nissan.
they installed it before i picked up my new MO.
the hood deflector is ok...but regarding my issue on the sunroof leak. my dealer ship adjusted the roof again for the second time and advised that i do not use/install the sunroof deflector as it contributed to the leak because water was trapped there.
my mo doesn't leak now in the car wash, however i have my hood deflector sitting at home, which is no use.
i paid 100.00 + tax CANADIAN for it.
i asked my dealer ship for a refund and to return the deflector, but they won;t take it back or give me my $ back cause it's considered used. what BS.
i am awaiting NISSAN CANADA to reply to me regarding this issue.
Nothing but hassel since i bought my car.

any thoughts?

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Muranosl - if you are fairly handy with tools, you may want to download the instructions from this website on sunroof deflector installation and try it yourself - especially if you don't have to "adjust" the sunroof. My experience is that a mechanic at a dealership is not going to be nearly as careful on the install as you would be on your own vehicle. If it doesn't work (i.e., if the sunroof starts to leak again after the install), you can always reverse the procedure (i.e., remove the deflector) and get back to where you were.

good luck.

ps: I grew up in Buffalo and spent a LOT of time in Toronto. My wife lived there for a number of years before we got married. GREAT city and my first choice in a place to live if I had my druthers - except that the taxes are a killer!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
04 Nissan Murano

Update

I have since written to the Wheels section of a Local Newspaper regarding my issue with Nissan.
I written the whole story form beginning till now.
They have contacted Nissan on my behalf.

In a nutshell:
I bought an 04 Nissan Murano SUV with a power sunroof from Nissan and a sunroof deflector from Nissan. The sunroof was built into the Murano by Nissan. The deflector is a Nissan product designed to use with the Nissan Murano. The Nissan dealer installed the Nissan deflector on the Nissan vehicle for which it was designed. I went to a Sunoco touch-less car wash and water was leaking through the sunroof.

My first visit to the dealership, I was told that Sunoco uses a high pressure system, with that said and my SUV being tall and close to the pressure valves it will lift the molding around the roof and cause water to slip through. The resolution I was told at that time was not to use Sunoco's washes. Which I feel is not acceptable. I tried another brand of touch-less car wash and it still leaked. I've had other cars and there were no leaking problems with the high pressure washes.

The second visit, Nissan tried to fix it, then it leaked even more. On the third visit, Nissan advised not to put on the deflector that it may contribute to the leak. Nissan took off the deflector, made some adjustments and it stopped leaking. (Well only one wash test so far, I have go through it a few more times to make sure it doesn't leak.) Now I have the deflector sitting at home, which is useless to me. Also there are these little marks on my roof where the deflector use to be.
I really want it installed back on because;

1. I like it
2. To cover those little marks on the near the sunroof left by Nissan after removing the deflector
3. Nissan won't let me return the deflector because they "consider" it being used

LOL. This sounds more funny and stupid every time I think about it.

I called Nissan Canada yesterday to complain about my dealership advising me not install it, and not refunding my deflector when now I have no use for it.
The representative at Nissan Canada acknowledged the situation and confirmed with me that Nissan has already received the letter from the Local newspaper and that they will look into this matter. I was told I will notified by them and/ or my dealership, and to read the newspaper wheels section for the reply from Nissan Canada.
That's a lot of hassle for a customer to have a problem fixed. Which is not the customers fault in the first place.

All I want is my sunroof on my Murano not to leak and have my sunroof deflector that I PURCHASED installed correctly.

Does anyone here think I went too far with writing to the Newspaper Wheels section?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Where are theses marks? Proper installations calls for placing protective clear tape onto the car before the ‘J’ hooks are installed which clamp the deflector down.

Perhaps the marks are do to someone not installing the tape which would be their fault.

·
Mo Betta
163 Posts
muranosl,

I don't think you went to far in contacting the wheels section of your local newspaper. What puzzles me is that Nissan Canada told you to read the wheels section for their response!

They should have contacted you and they should try to resolve the problem directly with you and report the resolution to the paper. They ought to be bending over backwards trying to fix this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts