Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Murano SE. It did not come with factory roof rails. I have searched the forum for a while, but am looking for someone that knows for sure if these vehicles do in fact have the holes and bolts predrilled and mounted for the addition of the rails, or if the headliner has to come off to add the rails.

I know that aftermarkets could be added for a lot cheaper, but I am really interested in staying with the factory rails. The cost is high, but if I'm going to add them I want them to be stock. I don't have a specific purpose for them, except that I like the way they look on the vehicle.

Any information on this matter before I purchase the rails would be appreciated

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
dkk7995-

After looking at the service manual it looks like the roof rails are secured to the roof at the same points as the roof side molding.

I would suggest your remove the molding to verify the mounting holes are threaded.

With few exceptions, all MOs are basically pre-assembled in a similar fashion which makes the after-sale upgrades that much easier for us.

-njjoe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Can you tell from looking at the manual how the roof side molding is removed? I would rather not try to pry on it at the wrong place and end up messing with the look of the molding.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
dkk7995-

This diagram is from page EI-28 of the 2005 Service Manual. I hope it helps.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
dkk7995-

This is page EI-29 depicting the roof rail assembly. Do you think it is feasible?

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is perfect. Thank you. As far as feasibility, I will let you know. I am going to take your suggestion and try to remove the molding to see if there are predrilled holes in the roof of my car. If not, I am going to take another direction. If there are in fact predrilled mounting holes, I am going to probably buy the railings and all related pieces and put them on. I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
From everything I have observed about the MO it looks like the body structure and wiring harness is identical across all levels (S, SL and SE) and accessory groups.

I am willing to bet that the existing holes are threaded and will readily accept the roof rails.

Let me know.

-njjoe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to remove the existing molding last night. However, it sounded like the clips might have broken. I did not continue to pry on them. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for removing this molding without damaging the clips? Are they plastic...How are they actually attached to the body of the car and to the molding?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
dkk7995-

I wish I could offer you more information but all I know is what I have seen in the Service Manual.

The SM made it look straight-forward and simple. I am trying to determine exactly what they mean in step 1.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Looks like in Step 1 to remove it you would just gently pry off the cover. You have nothing to loose, the cap is not used once the rails are installed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
true dat gonzo. if you decide on putting on the factory rails you'l probably need a different trim cap anyways. and you says your was an SE. so it initally should have had the roof rails on it. have you owned this car from new??

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
nissanlove said:
and you says your was an SE. so it initally should have had the roof rails on it.
Not necessarily true... I have a Rack-Free SE.

I bought it like that. I think it's a much sleeker look.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmm.. i guess it's the canadian mo's that can't be rack-less only.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was thinking.....

If the holes aren't there, what the heck is that molding there for?

Another question (since there aren't that many rack free Mo's)

My MO is black, my molding (where the roof rack would be) is also black.

Do the other rack free MO's have body colored molding, or is it black?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My molding is black. But has anyone ever removed the molding to see if there are predrilled holes for a rack? I called my local dealer and he indicated that he would put on aftermarket racks, not factory type (which are not made by Nissan, by the way).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have not removed the covers but I would be willing to bet that the after market rails would NOT use the existing screw holes if they exist already. I could be wrong. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the aftermarket rails do not use the rails. I am assuming that they are mounted to the roof on the inside on the molding. I can't imagine that it is a good look.

I still want to find out if the holes are predrilled before I try to remove the exisitng molding. If they are not here and I break clips or the molding removing it, then I am screwed. If I break the molding, but know that the holes are there, it is not a problem, because I have to replace the molding anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Roof Rails

We bought cross rails about 2 years ago after a wait of a year after buying our MO in Dec. 02. Tried to install them myself but could not get the screw covers off, so took it to dealer and they installed them. Works great and we haul stuff home from hardware store. Much more useful than before installation. Looks are not that big a deal since practicality is nice.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the MO to the dealership today to check on adding roof rails. They took off the molding and said that there are not holes predrilled for the rails........crap!! On the other hand, they did indicate that they are able to drill the holes and mount the rails without taking down the headliner.

Anyone have any experiences with adding these rails?

·
Registered
53 Posts
dkk7995

I'm also contemplating aftermarket roof rails.

Did you get yours installed? If so, how much did it cost?

Also, if you did can you post some pics?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts