Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked my 2006 SL Murano and it was totally my fault! This is what happened. Tuesday May 30th at about 6:00 pm I was driving on a one lane ramp on the highway. This ramp is really high off the ground and curves to the right (west) at its highest point. So right as the ramp curves the sun hits me directly in my eyes. I move my visor and at the same time I reach over to shuffle through the contents of my purse to find my sunglasses. When I glance back on the road I notice that I'm really close to the wall on my left side. To avoid hitting the wall I swerved but over compensated. I kept swerving right then left then right then left again to regain control. My car drove right into the barrier/wall head on. The impact was so hard that I hit wall then did a 180 and hit the rear.

I remember seeing the wall I was about to hit and thinking that I was going to go over the ramp. I don't remember much else. When the car came to a halt there was a lot of smoke and the radio was really loud. Luckily the person driving behind me was able to stop as did others. Everyone was so helpful. Three cars back was a gentleman who was dressed in normal clothes but was wearing a badge. He immediately rushed towards me to tell me he'd already radio'd the police.

I got out of the car. I was alright. My neck burned from the seat belt. My belly was sore from the seat belt as well. My toe/foot hurt a lot. I still don't know what happened with my foot but I speculate that I might have rammed my foot into one of the pedals. Later on I realized that I had two broken finger nails! They broke when the air bag deployed.

When I got out of the car I looked at the back and saw not a lot of damage. I told one of the guys, "Wow that wasn't so bad". He replied, "No, mam you hit head on, go look". I had forgotten that I hit head on. From where I was standing I could see that the hood was pretty messed up, but I refused to see the front of the vehicle.

Fire department arrived within minutes. Then the ambulance then the Police. I was asked how fast I was driving. I admitted that I was driving over the speed limit (45) but I still have no idea how fast I was going. 50-55 maybe?

I declined ambulance service. I was more shaken than hurt. I would go later on my own. My main two reasons for not going on the ambulance. Number one, my mom was on her way and if she arrived at the scene and not see me, she would surely loose it and have and anxiety attack. Secondly, the car was gonna be taken and dropped of a wrecker yard. I know that they are not responsible for the items in your car. I needed to take out all the stuff. CD's, iPod and other stuff. The contents of my purse (which was open) and some loose items were all over the floor!

My mom picked me up and took me to the hospital where I work. I had x-rays of my foot taken. The doc said I had no fractures just bruising to my toe. Almost a month later and my toe still hurts! I think it might have been broken but since there's not much one can do for a broken toe I didn't seek a second opinion. She gave me some meds and an excuse for work as I was scheduled to work that night. I was out of the ER in an hour!

The next day I was quite sore. My neck hurt as did my chest. I had minor bruises on my chest and abdomen. My big toe and part of my foot was black and blue. I went to work that next night.

Getting a rental car was a huge hassle. It's a long story but I eventually got one two days after the accident.

A few days later I heard from the body shop. The estimate was at $15,000. That was only for the more apparent stuff. A day later the adjuster called me and said I had damaged the transmission the estimate was now over $20,000.

A couple of days later they claimed it a total loss. NMAC had been paid what I owed on the car and I received my check yesterday.

Now, I'm in search for another Murano. I don't know what I want though. I want another color to keep the Blue Beaver sacred. But I'm not convinced by the other color options. One of the dealerships has located a Murano in Midnight Blue in Dallas. 12 hours from here. They'll bring it down, but require that I sign first. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I told them when they had one in stock I'd by it.

I'll shut up now. :D

Check out the pics. I took these at the body shop.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
WOW!!! :eek:

That was one hell of an accident. It is good to see that you were able to walk (limp?) away from that one. Not many people can say that after hitting a wall head-on at 50 MPH.

The MO has proved time and again to be a very crash-worthy vehicle. That is a very desirable feature in my opinion. It is very good to know the car you are driving has proved to be safe and protective.

Your MO has some massive front-end damage. The Blue Beaver's front-end appears to have collapsed just as it was designed to. Kudos to the Nissan structural engineers.

Thanx for posting your story and pics.

-njjoe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident! :eek: It just goes to show how things can change in the blink of an eye....and I think we've all been there!

Good luck on your search for another MO. After having had an 03 Midnight Blue MO, I traded it in on an 06 Merlot with Cafe Latte leather interior. What a beautiful color combination! I've had it only about a month, but I'm getting almost as many comments about this color as I did when I first got a Murano. Give it a look! The Sunset Red also is quite an eye catcher!

·
Registered
184 Posts
princymisy, sorry about your new car. but, I'm glad you're ok, and able to walk away from the accident. Good luck on your search for you new murano!
one question though, your location is south texas, and you mentioned that dallas is 12 hours from you? i didn't think texas was that big...:confused: (just kidding)
anyways, i'm in dallas area. holler if you need any help within the dallas area.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Holy moly - that front end is shifter over quite a bit. But the front end looks intact and it appears to have crumpled in the intended places. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt and thanks for sharing your photos.

As Njjoe stated, the Murano has proven itself time and time again. I have my own accident stories in the MO and I also bought another because of how safe it is. I hope you'll be in another MO soon!

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out alright.

Did your old MO have VDC? If not, you might want to check out that option. Drive carefully out there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I absolutely agree. My MO fell apart so that I wouldn't. I'm proud to show off my pics and say that I had no injuries. Truely a testament of how good the car was designed. I loved my "Blue Beaver" and I know i'll love my next MO.

I'm thinking of waiting for an '07. I'm not too sure yet though.

06murano - I think it might be more like 10 hours but the last time I went to Dallas was in high school on a bus and it took 12 + to get there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric L. said:
Glad to hear you made it out alright.

Did your old MO have VDC? If not, you might want to check out that option. Drive carefully out there!
I'm not sure but I will check. I'm at work and I don't that information on hand. My next MO will definately have that option.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Glad you are okay. Looks like your MO did what it was supposed to do. That is a big plus...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
In this order.........I'm very glad

1- you were not hurt
2- you didn't hurt any one else.

Homer

Oh yeah, 3 - too bad about the MO. But it was just a car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hfelknor said:
In this order.........I'm very glad

1- you were not hurt
2- you didn't hurt any one else.

Homer

Oh yeah, 3 - too bad about the MO. But it was just a car.
Exactly! I was so glad that nobody else was involved. I'd rather that I get banged up than some innocent stranger. The car can and will be replaced.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The latest statistics on causes of auto accidents show that driver distraction is becoming more and more frequent. With all the gadgets and techno accessories built into cars these days, we must stay focused on the road - glad to hear you escaped major injury. Also, it is good to see the MO crumpled like it did to save you, however if you were in another vehicle or hit some other motorist things could have been different. Let's keep our eyes glued to the road!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enforcer said:
Ok I just gotta ask...how did you come up with the name "Blue Beaver" for your MO?

Post pics of you new ride when you get it.
My boyfriend at the time named it "Blue Beaver". I never came up with another name for it and by that time "Blue Beaver" had already stuck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blue beaver have nav?

can u take out the nav part of beav and sell it to me? i have a regular black beave and i want nav.. u can probably take the pc out and the isnuranse company wouldent know. email me [email protected] i can tell u what to do

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: blue beaver have nav?

soundz999 said:
can u take out the nav part of beav and sell it to me? i have a regular black beave and i want nav.. u can probably take the pc out and the isnuranse company wouldent know. email me [email protected] i can tell u what to do
I already turned over the car to Allstate. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: blue beaver have nav?

soundz999 said:
*Legal disclaimer*

Mod: Sorry I have to chime in here, but what you are suggesting is insurance fraud and we cannot support that here on Nissanmurano.org. Please edit/remove that post.

Update: eh, never mind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts