Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,660 Posts
Jaguar announced in the last day or so that they will go electric in 2030, and GM has announced that they will be all electric in 2035.

That isn't to say that there won't be gas available, as it will take a very long time to eliminate gas-powered vehicles, and there will be collector cars for a along time.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
12 Posts
Better upgrade the grid. The thing can hardly handle the demand today. Oh better get started on charging stations especially ones that work fast like our gas pumps do today.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Better upgrade the grid. The thing can hardly handle the demand today. Oh better get started on charging stations especially ones that work fast like our gas pumps do today.
They better build up mass people mover systems. Can't imagine wanting to drive cross country with an EV. Now may not be that much of an issue, but when 90% of cars are electric, I can't see massive charging parking lots along side major interstate highways. But with today's tech, that's what's going to happen unless a full charge can be brought down to less then 1 hour, with a 500 mile range per charge.

On top of that, our interstate road infrastructure is in major need of repairs and upgrades, not even mentioning the ratings of bridges that carry 10's of thousands cars per day in major cities.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Murano5

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL, Pearl White Midnight Edition
60 Posts
As others have mentioned, driving across the country with an EV will be a nightmare. Can you imagine waiting in line for a charging station then waiting 3 hours for a recharge! Another aspect we never hear about is the load of home chargers and the inability of city electrical infrastructure to handle the additional electrical demand. If everyone comes home, cranks up their heat or cranks down their a/c, does a couple of loads of laundry, runs their dishwasher, and plugs in their E/V the city's electric grid can not handle the additional demand. This will be a problem in normal weather, not to mention the cold we are currently experiencing.

·
Super Moderator
8,660 Posts
I expect both that EV charging stations will be added in many locations, and part of making EVs work in the longer run is more range. I share reservations about charging availability today, and have no interest in an EV at this time. However, I do expect more coverage , including development of chargers that are like the wireless chargers for phones - park over them and charge wirelessly. (Obviously that needs a lot of work...)

Great point from Murano5; the power grid will need to be able to handle a lot more load, which means we not only need more wind and solar, but more nuclear power plants.

Reactions: DrDurst

·
Super Moderator
8,660 Posts
I would expect that the recent developments in Texas will be "a learning experience," likely leading to some changes.

As the gent in the video points out, infrastructure is critical. I expect that it will be developed. I think the biggest pill for many people to swallow is that we will need a number of new nuclear power plants, as well as some significant developments in storage capability for wind and solar.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
1 - 8 of 8 Posts