Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Piedmont, we get a LITTLE snow from time to time. Half an inch pretty much shuts everything down. We get lots of ice, though. Usually starts as sleet then freezing rain or just plain freezing rain.
The snow and sleet, the Boss Lady and I can handle. We both grew up in the mountains. The freezing rain, though is another subject altogether.
On top of that, most people around here have no clue how to drive in any kind of frozen precip. In fact, I noticed several years ago that in Charlotte (about 25 miles away) a simple change in the weather (clear to rain OR rain to clear) brings about a rash of wrecks.

Anyhoo, we had a couple of inches of snow, followed by about a quarter inch of sleet (so far no prob), followed by freezing rain. I took the Boss Lady to work (she's a nurse) this morning and figured we'd be in for an adventure. She took the MO to the mountains week before last to be with her mom and said that the AWD was really nice in the snow. So I figured "Let's see how it does with the ice on top."

No problems at all. Our driveway is almost a mile long with a big hill close to the end (at the ponds) and a steep incline back up to the road. The snow and ice were so hard by this morning that the MO left hardly a track in the driveway and I was very pleasantly surprised by the surefootedness on that stuff. Even when we had to stop the pull up onto the road.

The drive in was pretty uneventful except for a couple of yahoos sliding sideways at us at stoplights. And later a bunch of kids in their ricers, complete with cheering sections on the sidewalks, were actually trying to cause accidents. The MO was able to pull into and out of the median to avoid being hit and to avoid the left-turning moron offspring.

Tonight I went down to get the (non-existant) mail and, even though just staying upright on the additional glare ice was difficult, the MO made it up and down the hills with ease.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The MO has proven to perform well up here in NJ with snow/ice, but the windshield is another matter. The nozzles freeze and the wipers collect ice, leaving me with an icy, unwiped windshield that is hard to see out of. On top of that, the parts that ARE wiped then cloud up with dried salt and turn white... can't wash them with the washer fluid because the nozzles are frozen...

:(

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the wipers, or rather the windshield itself, was the only gripe I had. The last two trips yesterday were while freezing rain was falling. If at a stop or, say, under 30, the wipers had no problem keeping the windshield clear. But just a minute or two at around 40 or above and the outside air chilled the glass faster than the defroster could warm it. After about 15 miles, I was doing the gangsta lean so I could see out the dwindling crescent that was still clear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Doombringer said:
The MO has proven to perform well up here in NJ with snow/ice, but the windshield is another matter. The nozzles freeze and the wipers collect ice, leaving me with an icy, unwiped windshield that is hard to see out of. On top of that, the parts that ARE wiped then cloud up with dried salt and turn white... can't wash them with the washer fluid because the nozzles are frozen...

:(

Old School Solution....if you have a moonroof...carry a jug of washer fluid inside your car...at stops just open the roof, reach out and pour some fluid down on the windshield.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just picked up my Murano last Wednesday :2: and had an appointment to put on the winter tires Thurday aft. Nice snowstorm going on Wednesday night and drove to my appointment in it. I questioned myself as to why I was putting snow tires on the MO because it did very well on the way there. After putting on the snows, it was like night and day, truly amazing difference. The road which leads to my house is ice covered and the tires work also work wonders on this surface. Very happy with the Dunlop Grand Treks, plus they are just as quite as the stockers on the autoroute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts