Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an ideal tire pressure for a long highway trip?

I'm travelling from Georgia to Arizona over a 2 day period starting Friday and was wondering if I should slightly overinflate the tires for better gas mileage. They are currently at 32-33 . . . would I be better off higher?

Thanks!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Good luck on the trip. Is this the move to Scottsdale? I would leave the press alone but that's my opinion. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Grip,

Yes, i'm moving to Scottsdale! I'll probably just leave the pressure alone . . you being a real-life rocket scientist I trust your opinion!

I'm moving to a house pretty close to Thunderbird Park, do you live near that area?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I put our at 34 all the way around. I usually take what the manufacturer suggests and add 2-3 PSI to it. I like a little more turn in response and a little stiffer ride. My wife.....she wouldn't have a clue.:p

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I run 37F, 35R. No problems with uneven wear, and I prefer the sharper handling over a mushy ride.

·
4,994 Posts
Having given it some more thought, I assume you are loaded to the gills with stuff, therefor a couple of psi would probably be in order. Hope you will have Cox INTERNET service when you get here the 4mb download is great. If you combine it with phone and TV Cable they will give you a package price. Say hello when you arrive. I'll PM you my phone number.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Grip is correct. If you load the car full, you might want to run a couple psi above recommended.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
has anyone checked the accuracy of the tire pressure monitoring system? i checked my pressure this morning and my traditional guage was about 3 pounds more than the MO's.

I think the MO is correct, has anyone else calibrated the system?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think the MO's TPMS is more accurate than your normal tire guage. In fact, I find the small $20 digital tire guages to be extremely inaccurate. I prefer the large dial type. Just picked up a new one, and it matches the Murano's readings perfectly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know what route you're taking, but if you happen to cross the Texas-Louisiana border, don't get too discouraged by the sign informing (warning) you that the other side of Texas is a mear 770 miles away. At least you'll be driving a Murano! :1:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my trip

My MO MO MO went GO GO GO from the A-T-L to the P-H-O

(translation: my trip from Atlanta to Phoenix went just great!)

Just finished my 1800 mile journey without a single problem. The Murano was great, although now i'm sensing the "loose drivers seat" issue. Started the trip with 450 miles on my '04, now have 2250 or thereabouts. Gas mileage kept creeping up . . . showing 20.5 now. I'm hoping it improves even more.

I will say this . . . having Sirius makes all the difference on a long journey like this, especially when travelling solo.

·
4,994 Posts
NOW we can add you to the Phoenix area list. :2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
WELCOME to sunny PHX. And remember next July when the thermometer reaches 122 F,
IT'S A DRY HEAT.
Richie :22:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I was lucky yesterday. The temperature here in central illinois reached 12.2F! :D

Woohoo double digit temperatures!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally, I'm from N. Central Iowa, and I can remember temps of -30F this time of year. This week is forecasted to be mid to upper 70's. :2:
Richie

·
4,994 Posts
We go WooHoo! for double digits also, But like RichE said we go BooHoo! when it gets to Triple Digits

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
GripperDon said:
We go WooHoo! for double digits also, But like RichE said we go BooHoo! when it gets to Triple Digits

I also used to live in northern california, the Sacramento valley, where triple digits were not uncommon. I had a BLACK Maxima at the time, and man that was an adventure getting into the car and the five seconds it took to start the car and turn the AC to max, and get back outside so I could breathe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts