Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been dealing with a vibration at idle for quite some time now. With warmer weather it's better but not 100% gone.

Can you let me know if you feel a very light vibration on your centre console and steering wheel when stopped and idling? It's something you have to focus on to feel It. I find I feel it when I place my palm down onto the centre console lid in between the elbow rest padding. As for the steering wheel it's most felt when I put my palm onto the portion where the Nissan logo is affixed.

Its a minor issue, but while its under warranty I want to nip this in the butt with Nissan if it in fact is an issue with my car. They keep telling me a very light vibration is normal because it's an older style engine and the mounts are not as beefy as something you would find in a luxury brand car. I would rather have this minor issue fixed now then have it cause expensive repairs in the future.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You have to watch messing with the idle on this car. The idle set by the ECU never changes. What changes the idle on mine is the CVT. I’m not sure what it’s doing but sometimes it’s higher and sometimes lower.

Try putting the parking brake on in gear and watch what happens. It’s the CVT, not the engine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You have to watch messing with the idle on this car. The idle set by the ECU never changes. What changes the idle on mine is the CVT.

Nissan dealerships change the idle all the time with their consult devices and some aftermarket programs can do it also ... it's easy-peasy no issue at all. and once re-set higher, it stays that way.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey all, I've been dealing with a vibration at idle for quite some time now. With warmer weather it's better but not 100% gone.

Can you let me know if you feel a very light vibration on your centre console and steering wheel when stopped and idling? .
There are a few threads in this forum dealing with vibration at idle/in drive with the brakes on and various combinations of these conditions. Look at 'Need your expert opinion-clarification' and 'General Questions'.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oops! Sorry Vortex. I see that you posted on both of those threads I mentioned

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nissan dealerships change the idle all the time with their consult devices and some aftermarket programs can do it also ... it's easy-peasy no issue at all. and once re-set higher, it stays that way.
You're not understanding my point. I understand well that an idle can be modified by a dealer manipulating the ECU. What I'm saying is that the CVT engagement scheme has more to do with the idle that you see than the ECU setting. Obviously if you raise it using the ECU you will see different behavior, but the idle settling in different ranges all the time is a function of CVT behavior, not ECU settings.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're not understanding my point. I understand well that an idle can be modified by a dealer manipulating the ECU. What I'm saying is that the CVT engagement scheme has more to do with the idle that you see than the ECU setting. Obviously if you raise it using the ECU you will see different behavior, but the idle settling in different ranges all the time is a function of CVT behavior, not ECU settings.
the op has vibration at idle. per numerous threads, sop to deal with this is bump up the idle. what else is there to say??

·
Registered
872 Posts
the op has vibration at idle. per numerous threads, sop to deal with this is bump up the idle. what else is there to say??
That there are calibrations for the CVT that are likely to directly address the problem instead of masking it with ECU idle bumps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply guys.

The previous threads I had participated in was regarding my idle RPM dropping to about 550 and then an vibration throughout the whole car appearing.

I've resolved that matter by replacing my positive battery terminal as it was an issue with the voltage in the car.

This threat is just in general asking if you feel a vibration on those two spots as mentioned? Like I said it's minor but I want to know if I have an issue with a mount of some sort on my car or if this is normal?

Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reviving this thread.

Thought I would share how I've resolved my idle vibration issue.

Essentially I was having a low idle rpm vibration coming into the cabin through the steering wheel, seats and centre console. At times it was so bad that my passengers were able to feel it.

I ended up switching out my battery since I thought it was problematic from the beginning. It was corroding the terminals like I've never seen before.

Changed the battery to a Costco Kirkland battery and for the last 2 months noticed a massive drop in idle vibrations. RPM idles at a steady 700 and not the 500ish I was getting. No more RPM drop below 500 when moving wheel left and right during idle.

Seems like I had an electrical issue that was caused by a faulty battery.

Just a thought for others experiencing the idle vibrations.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Wow...we all know these cars are strongly influenced by variations in voltage or battery behavior. This is a new level of strangeness. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I wonder if it was due to the severe OEM battery terminal corrosion causing the connection to be so marginal the alternator was working overtime to overcome the resistance and keep the battery charged. This in turn would leave little extra current to keep the idle normal/steady, especially when turning the wheel which would further reduce the alternator's output due to the increased load to drive the power steering pump...

Keep those battery terminals corrosion free!

I haven't had a battery that had battery terminal corrosion in decades. From what I have learned/read, battery terminal corrosion is due to a marginal/defective seal around the battery terminal post...

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread and sharing your experience. Have noticed the vibration while stopped in line at drive through recently. 70k miles. Popped the hood and sure enough the battery terminal corrosion is the worst I've ever seen in twenty years of car ownership. OEM so I suppose it owes me nothing at this point? New battery and new terminal connectors sounds will be my next call I guess.

Reviving this thread.

Thought I would share how I've resolved my idle vibration issue.

Essentially I was having a low idle rpm vibration coming into the cabin through the steering wheel, seats and centre console. At times it was so bad that my passengers were able to feel it.

I ended up switching out my battery since I thought it was problematic from the beginning. It was corroding the terminals like I've never seen before.

Changed the battery to a Costco Kirkland battery and for the last 2 months noticed a massive drop in idle vibrations. RPM idles at a steady 700 and not the 500ish I was getting. No more RPM drop below 500 when moving wheel left and right during idle.

Seems like I had an electrical issue that was caused by a faulty battery.

Just a thought for others experiencing the idle vibrations.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread and sharing your experience. Have noticed the vibration while stopped in line at drive through recently. 70k miles. Popped the hood and sure enough the battery terminal corrosion is the worst I've ever seen in twenty years of car ownership. OEM so I suppose it owes me nothing at this point? New battery and new terminal connectors sounds will be my next call I guess.
Cleaning the connections at the cable ends and applying a thin film of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to clean battery posts usually helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Just don't get Vaseline or other petroleum-based product in between the post and the terminal clamp. That stuff does not conduct electricity. (And BTW, neither does dielectric grease, but it's silicone-based, not petroleum-based.)

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
1 - 16 of 16 Posts