Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Murano in for a load noise under the hood on the pulley side. Had to leave it there all weekend, bummer. After I dropped it off they couldn't get it started and had to push it. Called monday and they hadn't done anything because the battery was dead, didn't even call me. Was told they couldn't do anything without replacing the battery first, for $150. Anyways the whole battery issue is solved, got an interstate for $50. The story I got initially was that the bolts on the alternator were too tight and had been stripped out, they could tell this just by looking at it, HOW??? Next is that the idler pulley is bad from age??? 1 year 3 months and 36,000 miles is old for a car? Anyways new story this morning is that idler pulley was replaced, alternator bolts are now not stripped, just were too tight ( this still baffles me). Asked if alternator was loose from stripped bolts and if that caused the battery problem. that was when told that the bolts were never stripped. Whole thing just seems fishy to me. To top it all off none of this is covered under warranty, just my extended warranty which has a $100 deductible.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Did the dealer replace your alternator under the recall at some time in the past?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ekaxel said:
Did the dealer replace your alternator under the recall at some time in the past?
Yes the dealer did replace the alternator back when the recall first came out.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Wait a minute. What do you mean the repairs are not covered under warranty? I thought you said the car is only 15 months old with 36,000 miles.

The idler pully should be covered under the powertrain warranty.

The battery is covered by it's own warranty. Since your car is between 12 and 24 months old, if you have less than 36,000 miles you would be responsible for 50% of the replacement cost.

How close were you to 36,000 miles when the car failed?

-njjoe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
njjoe said:
Wait a minute. What do you mean the repairs are not covered under warranty? I thought you said the car is only 15 months old with 36,000 miles.

The idler pully should be covered under the powertrain warranty.

The battery is covered by it's own warranty. Since your car is between 12 and 24 months old, if you have less than 36,000 miles you would be responsible for 50% of the replacement cost.

How close were you to 36,000 miles when the car failed?

-njjoe
Just over 36,000 miles. What powertrain warranty. May sound funny but never had one. Bought the car new and never got a Nissan warranty. The dealer sold a third party warranty. Come to find out the owner of the dealer owns the warranty company. So all I got was a 36,000 mile warranty and then the extended which has a $100 deductible.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
All new Nissan Muranos come with a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty supplied by Nissan North America. It has nothing to do with your dealer.

-njjoe

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am not sure but power train warranty 'may' cover engine block internals, and CVT but not bolt-on items such as pulleys.

njjoe said:
All new Nissan Muranos come with a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty supplied by Nissan North America. It has nothing to do with your dealer.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
rrodfa2 said:
CALL NISSAN AND REPORT THAT,AND A CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY.GOOD LUCK
I agree. Your dealer needs to be reported as they are very fishy.

All new Muranos have a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty AND a 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty. Your pully is not an accessory. It is part of the engine so it should be covered under the drive train warranty.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
patrickem-

I just re-read your initial post.

I didn't realize the battery was fine when you dropped off the car. Although it is possible, I doubt that it failed in just 15 months.

Something definitely does not sound right with your dealer.

I suggest you contact Nissan's Consumer Affairs Department @ 800-647-7261. Explain the situation to them. You have nothing to lose.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
This may help....

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
This what I meant:

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
• The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000
miles, whichever comes first.
• This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct
defects in materials or workmanship.
• Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below,
supplied by Nissan except for those items listed
under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.
ENGINE
Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker
covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain
and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel
injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and supercharger,
flywheel, seals, and gaskets.
TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE
Case and all internal parts, torque converter and converter
housing, automatic transmission control module, transfer
case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets, clutch cover.

i.e. engine large parts/internals and some major bolt-ons such as water pump.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
dmako-

That's a good point. You're right, it does not look like the idler pulley is part of the power train.

However, something is still very odd about this all.

If this were my car I would not hesitate to call the Nissan hotline.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Especially if THAT dealer was the one who replaced the altenator.
It seems to me either the bracket was broken or they really screwed up the pulley when they were doing the altenator....or both.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Especially if THAT dealer was the one who replaced the altenator.
It seems to me either the bracket was broken or they really screwed up the pulley when they were doing the altenator....or both.
Plus I find it highly suspicious that the 15 month-old battery was fine when patrickem brought the car in for a noise problem and then for some strange reason it was dead and needed to be replaced.

Something is definitely fishy in Phoenix....

-njjoe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked to Nissan

Got the car back last night and all is fine after putting in the new battery, which I did myself in the parking lot. Was told pulley was not covered under powertrain warranty, so payed the the $100 under my extended. Talked to Nissan today and they confirmed that pulley is not covered, when I brought up the warranty issues I am having, they said it is not thier problem. I was told each dealership is independently owned and that Nissan has nothing to do with what each dealership does or sells and that any issues I have I must deal with the dealership. I have gone that route and everyone at the dealership just laughs it off. I have found out that alot of people are in the same boat as I and that the dealership is actually being sued by a number of people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts