Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know this is difficult to even think about but, if the Murano didn't exist, what could you see yourself driving now?

Kocioblue MO

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Probably the Dodge Magnum with Hemi.

I drive this SUV because it is not, in my mind, an SUV. ;)

But I won't trade.

Gonna keep the Gold Rush for another 5 or 6 years.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Since I purchased my Murano in June 2003, I think the alternative may have been a Toyota 4Runner or Highlander/RX330 since they were some of the few SUV's that offered stability control, EBD, and side/curtain airbags.

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
I'd be rollin in a Fx35 or G35X........but before the murano..I was very close to getting a Mitsu Evo8....but as fun as they are... i've read about way too many issues with that car...

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
b0xdesigns said:
I'd be rollin in a Fx35 or G35X........but before the murano..I was very close to getting a Mitsu Evo8....but as fun as they are... i've read about way too many issues with that car...
Ditto...basically.

·
Registered
747 Posts
No Murano

I probably would have found a way to get into an RX330. I love the FX35 but I think it's a little tight for a family of four.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I test drove an Acura MDX not long ago.

I liked the interior, exterior and horsepower, but not the monthly payments.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Whoa I feel the same as the others. I really wanted the G35 and actually wanted the FX45 just to get something with some balls but alas a V8 meant a steep increase in price so probably would have went for the Acura MDX.

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... I was looking at a Highblander, but I shudder when I look at them now.

I love the G35, but not enough room for stuff I have to carry. I'd also love a loaded Altima, as it's a really nice car at a bargain price. (Shhh.... We're driving Altimas, if you ask Nissan...)

Tough question...

I might even look at an MDX... That's probably the closest I can think of, if the Murano didn't exist. And it's built in my "backyard". Even the ones in Japan, are built here and shipped there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was 10th on the local waiting list for the hybrid version of the Lexus RX. I'd probably still be waiting if an older fellow hadn't crushed my other car.

Was drawn to the Murano by the gas mileage/cvt. Seemed to have the best mileage of anything that could tow 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
at the time of purchase...the 4Runner V-8, 2wd. A little more pricey but still very nice. If I were buying today it would be Caddy SRX, V-6

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak said:
Hmmm... I was looking at a Highblander, but I shudder when I look at them now.
Boy you took the words right out of my mouth. I was looking at Highlander, Pilot, RX330, FX35, and MDX. Wife did not like Highlander or Pilot and I was not really a fan of RX330. So I would have probably bought either an FX or MDX.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hemi Magnum - it wasn't out when we bought the Murano - but it'll be the next car. With AWD of course.

Lexus IS300
G35 Coupe
Maybe an FX45
BMW 4.6i if I could afford it :)
Another Typhoon

There are others I'm sure - we are really leaning towards the Dodge though :(

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Well, what I really want is a CAR that can tow 3000lbs. There are only 3 that do this, and each of them had "issues" that made us look at the MO. I hate SUVs, but it is a good compromise. So if the MO wasn't there, I would be driving one of these (no SUV besides the MO would be acceptable), in order of my preference (wife's preference would be a little different)

Volvo V70 R (300hp, handles like a sports car, very fun to drive, but expensive and wife felt claustrophobic in the wrap-around seats)

Dodge Magnum RT (340hp, fun to drive, but VERY long, large blind spots, poor visibility overall, and slides too much around corners, even worse than the MO)

Audi Allroad 4.2 (300hp if I remember correctly, quite nice, but handling was awkward. Felt like a VERY heavy car (which it is) and cornering was good but would take some getting used to. Poor gas mileage and reliability record.)

My guess is that we would probably settle on the Allroad. Wife felt very unsafe in the Volvo (imagine that) so that's a big item. Dodge hasn't had the best record with their vehicles as of late, and the '05 is the first year of the Magnum, which makes me cringe (especially since they're messing with the Hemi a LOT, adding features that cut out half the cylinders and everything).

While I'm babbling, I suppose another option (and the ONLY other SUV option) would be a Saturn VUE. They are a relatively crappy car, but they do tow and are small (similar to MO). I'd be really nervous getting one, after hearing all the problems they have had, but it MIGHT come onto the radar.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Hemi Magnum - it wasn't out when we bought the Murano - but it'll be the next car. With AWD of course.
There are others I'm sure - we are really leaning towards the Dodge though :(
FYI, the AWD version won't be out until later. The only ones out right now are the RWD versions.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Amusing seeing all the Evo comments, as that is exactly the other car I was looking at :eek: . Basically it was a question of a fun car to drive or a car I could drive to go do something fun, and the latter won out, especially since the Mo *is* pretty darn fun to drive all things considered.

A G35 was also in the running but it was too much in the middle of things, not fun enough to drive and not enough room to to haul my kids and I and associated gear to do some serious fun.

Realistically I would have probably looked at the new VW Passat TDI or a Tuareg. The former especially, considering what gas prices have been like since I sold my Golf TDI and bought the Mo :3: .

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I wasn't even really looking when I picked mine up. I was furious with my 2WD Xterra for not being able to get out of 20" of snow a few days earlier, when my aunt needed to get to the hospital.

Also, oddly enough, I had been making numerous trips to my customer's corporate hq, and I was getting sick of wiping my left calf on the door sill as I got out of the X, thereby wiping road grime up the back of my nice suit pants right before key meetings. Yes, I did say "hmmm" at the Murano website where they pointed out how the door sills were remodeled specifically so that you won't rub dirt and road grime on the back of your pants. I swear they were talking right TO me!

Once I saw (and loved) the Murano and its sleek new design, I compared it to an MDX, an RX, a Santa Fe, and even the Caddy CTS (thank GOD I didn't pursue THAT one!) The BMW 5-series was out of my range for the goodies I wanted. So it came down either a loaded Murano or a stripped FX, and I was already driving a stripped XTerra -- I wanted the goodies and got every last one of them in the Murano. If I had originally bought a 4WD Xterra, I probably would still be driving it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really wanted the Lexus RX300 a couple of years ago but was waiting until my 95 Honda Accord was ready to die. Then one day I was on the freeway the this awesome SUV went flying by. I pushed my old Honda's petal to the floor and after about 2 miles caught up to the sporty SUV. At that point, I saw the name "Murano". Right then I made up my mind that I was buying it and forgetting the RX300. I test drove the Murano a few days later and then bought it when the old Honda gave up. Best purchase I ever made:2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really had my heart set on the FX - loaded. I still love the look of the FX, but realize now that the FX has has less rear leg room and cargo space than the Murano. It was also about $8K more. I came really close to one, but backed off when I thought about what else I could spend my money on.

Second choice was the Pilot. Only 2 things really bothered me about the vehicle: the column shifter had a really goofy feel to it, and it's overall lack of personality. I really hated the dealer - bastard wouldn't let me test drive it past 30MPH - Whudda jerk!

The Wife and I also test drove the Pacifica. The power seemed sufficient. We even drove up steep hills with it, and it seemed fine. I didn't like that the NAV was stuck in the driver's console, as it didn't allow interaction with the passenger. My other main concern was paying that much for a Chrysler.

I also looked at the 4Runner, but it wasn't available with the V6 and NAV in the same package. I saw no reason for the V8. I also got that "running board on the leg" problem that my friend EasternPA complained about with his X-Terra. Finally, I saw no need to buy a vehicle designed for off-road "adventuring" when I knew the furthest off-road I would go is the grass parking lot at the pumpkin patch at Holloween!

So anyway, who knows. After I got sucked into MuranoMania, no other vehicle mattered!

:12:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts