Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading that the Europe's version of the mo has stiffer suspension (for hi-speeds) I would like some help from anyone that has or know about upgrading a USA mo suspension.

The mo is called a hybrid SUV & luxury car ... to me it feels like they left way to much luxury in the suspension ... just to damn soft... this is the only thing I dislike about the mo. Making a quick steering wheel movement and then needing to recover... got to be fixed.

My 95 Pathfinder had a switch to change the suspension "lose / stiff", this would be the dream mod ... but I'd be happy with all time stiff suspension.

Anyone interested in this mod or knowing anything involving this, please reply.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Margatenj-

Not to be sarcastic, but... You should have opted for the SE model. It has the "sport-tuned suspension (firmer springs, struts and shocks) for sportier handling and a firmer ride".

Firming up the suspension on the SL is going to be a costly proposition.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can do Eibach springs for about $230 plus shipping plus labor. "Could" be a DIY.
IMO a plus would be the lowering of the vehicle a little over an inch.
Shocks are a problem. Don't know anybody that makes aftermarket for Murano except KYB, and they are the OEM manufacturer.
As far as sway bars. I would think the ones from the SE would help..........junkyard?

Did you take a test ride?

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
I would advise - go to a dealer and test drive MO SE. If you like it you may get the SE springs. Or as Homer said, Eigach is another possibility.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Homer-

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read in this forum that the stabilizer bars are the same regardless of models. No?

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't know joe.
But there must be some differences......and I don't think it is the shocks as KYB does not differentiate between the SE or the SL. (Does anybody know if there are different Part #s for the struts/shock at Nissan?)
Since the springs carry the same Nissan part # for SE and SL, I assumed that the only real difference was the sway bars and maybe the bushings.........

Lets face it, the difference is minor.

And anyway, the concept is the same.
IF the sways are the same but the shocks are different, then buy the shocks.

The major thing is to put the Eiabchs in, IMO.

Homer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the problems I had when buying my mo ... I was there to buy an Xterra.

Did all my pre-buying reading involving the Xterra ... when there I didn't care for the Xterra at all - flat plastic seats butt slid side to side when making turns on the street, could not picture it fun off-road... but loved the mo ... I did test drive a few mos but they didn't have any of the SE version for sale used. (I just bought my mo about 4 or 5 weeks ago so its still new and I'm still learning).

So I f-ed up and should have read more about what I was buying and that there was a sport suspension model.

Never a small animal around to kick when you need one!

Who lives the closest to me? so I can come by at night crawl under your car and strip off the parts I need... you'll never miss them :2: then again... bullets hurt.

stabilizer bars and sway bars are the same thing right? yeah thats right, I know NOTHING about a cars suspension!

But I'm on another site reading about Eibach ...trying to find a write up (review) on anyone that put these on a SL MO ...don't know how I feel about lowering my mo ... can you even notice a lower 1.2 inch visual difference?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Again, Enforcer, I don't know.
I only know what I read.
And here are the part numbers for the Murano springs

. Front Suspension
. .
. . 6 - Coil Spring
. 54010CA102
. $102.43
Notes
. Rear Suspension
. .
. . 4 - Coil Spring
. 55020CA020
. $113.78
Notes

There seems to be no differentiation between the SE or the SL.

Margaten:
Yes Stabilizer bars are the same as sway bars and they are both the same as roll bars.

A 1.2 inch drop will be very noticeable to some and subtle to others.
Where it will be the most striking is that it will close up the obscene wheel wells on the Murano.

One of the things you have to watch out for here, or on any car forum.........people are defensive. Most are not "car guys". They are consumers, and will argue to the death that their choice was best.
The SL/SE thing is one of those points that most cannot agree on.

Homer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hfelknor said:

There seems to be no differentiation between the SE or the SL.

A 1.2 inch drop will be very noticeable to some and subtle to others.
Where it will be the most striking is that it will close up the obscene wheel wells on the Murano.
Could the springs and so on be mounted in a difference way between the two models to make the SE a sport-tuned suspension?

and I've looked at photos from here of people's mo that they dropped ... and the wheels don't rub in the well? if not I think the only problem I'd have is hitting my head get getting in, until I get use to the new lower height of the door.

and here is the really hard question, will this mess up my warranty?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Margatenj said:

Could the springs and so on be mounted in a difference way between the two models to make the SE a sport-tuned suspension?
Margatenj-

According to the Service Manual, the answer is no.

However, the height specs (see below) in the Service Manual seem to indicate there is something different with the components. While the height difference is very small, it was enough that they purposely referenced it.

The SE also has different alignment specs for the REAR wheels (the front specs are identicle to the S and SL).

The sales literature indicates the SE has firmer springs and shocks/struts, yet the part numbers do not support that. Something is not right.

Talk to the parts guy at a Nissan dealership. Maybe he can provide you with more specific information concerning the SE-specific components.

Good Luck.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I'll point it out since no one else is bring it up ... this thread name " If suspension is stiff for more then 4 hours seek out mechanical attention" ... this must be the best thread name ever for any car site... what do you think? :D

btw, I'm looking for the EIBACH Pro Kit Nissan 6370.140 springs, want them by this weekend in my hands so I can have them installed on Saturday.

I'm planning on going to the rally this May 5th in NJ and would like to have them before then... then again, might give me a chance to see a low mo and ask the owner about the mod, maybe a test drive might be to much to ask... as a passenger would answer all my questions.

hate messing with anything that might make it hard to sell down the line, lowering it must.

Also a lowered car screams "Yoh cops!!! look at me!!! am I doing anything wrong like speeding?" AND "Yoh Gang-bangers smash a window so you can pop the hood and see what else he as change on this car!"

·
Registered
781 Posts
Speaking of being stiff for longer than four hours - one inch isn't much. :)

Now, if you lower it, throw on some chrome rims, tint the windows and upgrade the stereo - you might get a bit more attention than you seek.

I think there will only be a few people that will notice a difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
njjoe said:

Margatenj-

According to the Service Manual, the answer is no.

However, the height specs (see below) in the Service Manual seem to indicate there is something different with the components. While the height difference is very small, it was enough that they purposely referenced it.

-njjoe
the mos they measured probably had difference amounts of gas in their tanks :2: or the weight of the "E" in SE made it heavier.

I'm just happy with all the help you guys gave me, and damn fast too!

I'm "seek out mechanical attention" to see how much and fast I can have these springs installed once I get them.

I know a mechanic that will most likely make me put them on myself (letting me use his shop) so I'll should have pictures to post of a step by step installation.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
how about the nismo or the impul srping and strut system?? that should improve overall dynamics and i think they are both adjustable.

here's a link to a site that has them-

sport springs and struts

performancenissanparts.com also has the nismo setup but there site is down b/c of a safety intrusion. you can still give them a call though(phone number provided on their site)

link:Performance nissan parts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nissanlove said:
how about the nismo or the impul spring and strut system?? that should improve overall dynamics and i think they are both adjustable.

here's a link to a site that has them-

sport springs and struts

performancenissanparts.com also has the nismo setup but there site is down b/c of a safety intrusion. you can still give them a call though(phone number provided on their site)

link:Performance nissan parts
You could have saved me some time by including the prices :eek: ... I'm kidding... but this is way more then I have in my suspension budget by a grand. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
haha just lending a helping hand. you wanted stiff so you got stiff in the wallet... it think they are a quite reasonable price, considering the exhaust systems are hovering around 2g's

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nissanlove said:
haha just lending a helping hand. you wanted stiff so you got stiff in the wallet... it think they are a quite reasonable price, considering the exhaust systems are hovering around 2g's
I'm going to go with the EIBACH Pro Kit Nissan 6370.140 springs and have a mechanic that will install them, about 100 dollars a spring. So my total as it looks now will be $650.00 installed.

ehhh.. I better like them!!! the mechanic can get the kit for the same price I can and I'm letting him order them, and its just a matter of when he gets them in and has the HOURS it takes to do this... I looked up a site with step by step photos of whats involved... taking the wheel off, the breaks off, the rotor out , compressing the old springs and removing them, adding the new springs, and then rebuilding the break system for the wheel and putting the tire back on... I'd guess over an hour worth of work for each spring... and having it all work afterwards, and done in a day, not two month (if I tried to do it).

Still going to try and get at lease one Spring replacement worth of photos ...from A to Z to post up here...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
If suspension is stiff for more then 4 hours seek out mechanical attention.

Margatenj-

Good luck! For $650 I hope it is stiff enough for you without being painful. We wouldn't want you to have to seek out medical attention. :2:

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts