Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The last four gas fill-ups, I've used 89 octane and STP High Mileage additive, and today I finally got the P0420 code (that I typically get twice a year) when I tried to accelerate too fast for too long up a hill going 60 MPH. MO started shaking, engine was sputtering and I had loss of power. I backed off, coasted down the hill at 55 MPH, then pulled over. Stopped, restarted and was on my way and MO was running fine. About 15 miles later the SES light came out and I took my scanner and read it. Reset the light while driving, and it never came on during the last hour of my journey. First time I've gotten that code this year. Looks like it's back to 93 octane and another can of lacquer thinner... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
While driving 55MPH under cruise, it felt like MO was being nudged around by gusts of wind, and then it felt like MO was gliding on a layer of ice or almost floating on air, and then the engine started feeling like it was sputtering and the tach needle started having some wacky movement from 1000-2000RPMs

When engaging cruise at 40MPH, those series of sensations happened again slightly.
If the engine is hot and feels like it dies for a split second on the highway, your cam position sensors might be going out. Mine did that at ~285K. It would lose power on the interstate for a split second and then be fine. Then it started stalling when I was at a stop light too, but it would restart after cranking for a few seconds.

Finally threw a rear cam position sensor code, so I lumbered over to a Advance Auto, got the sensor and replaced it. Its been fine since! The other one was replaced with a lower-mileage junkyard sensor for now.

I'm currently at 287,400ish miles. You gonna catch me or what? Haha. Its a 2006, original engine and trans. Replaced a lot of other parts but she's never let down, costs me maybe a grand a year including tires to keep her on the road, not bad!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If the engine is hot and feels like it dies for a split second on the highway, your cam position sensors might be going out. Mine did that at ~285K. It would lose power on the interstate for a split second and then be fine. Then it started stalling when I was at a stop light too, but it would restart after cranking for a few seconds.

I'm currently at 287,400ish miles. You gonna catch me or what? Haha. Its a 2006, original engine and trans. Replaced a lot of other parts but she's never let down, costs me maybe a grand a year including tires to keep her on the road, not bad!
I don't have quite the same symptoms that your MO had. Many people have very similar problems, but many times there are nuances of issues that point to something else. But thanks for the info.

I'm at 282,000 right now...catching up fast. :) I've been averaging about 35K per year for the last few years, which is one of the reasons I change my plugs and coils every 12 months, despite them being able to last 100K miles. MO runs better and smoother with these new parts.

Pretty impressive with the original tranny and engine and 287K+ miles.... I really think my problem was driving in Ds mode too often. Or maybe dropping from D to Ds a lot. I've only been driving in D since installing this used tranny, and things have been fine. Of course, if was from a 2006 Murano, so who's to say... My heads were replaced at 57K under warranty, so I don't have quite the mileage on the entire engine that you have. I'm still using the original water pump and thermostat, though.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts