Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the second round of snow during the work week most everyone in the parking lot has their windschield wipers up to keep them from freezing to to the windschield... I can't do that with the MO. :(

So sad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Same here.. I've already been chipping a small 1" part of the edge of the hood where I pull up the driver's side arm to clean underneath. The only way to remove all the ice buildup is to open the hood, access uderneath the wipers.

What Nissan could have done was put in electrical elements into the windshield where the wipers rest, so when you run the rear defroster, they can melt any ice there...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's how I do it...

I keep the wipers on when I'm turning off my MO...

With the wipers in their top swipe position, I turn off the car...

Presto! Now I can flip up me wipers and they don't freeze to the windshield!

Now...if I could just keep the darn washer jets from clogging with ice and snow.....

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
rbsmo04 said:
Here's how I do it...

I keep the wipers on when I'm turning off my MO...

With the wipers in their top swipe position, I turn off the car...

Presto! Now I can flip up me wipers and they don't freeze to the windshield!

Now...if I could just keep the darn washer jets from clogging with ice and snow.....
Or remember to put the wiper arms down before you start the car...:2:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Why couldn't Nissan simply put the bend in the wiper arm a few inches up so that it would clear the hood?

Seems like a easy fix.

·
Registered
126 Posts
rbsmo04,

If you shut the car off with the wipers @ the top position, then you can't start your MO until you've completely cleaned the windshield right? Unless you want to ruin them on the ice...

ugh... I'd want to climb into a warm seat :D

One thing I also notice is the the glass area where the wipers rest is under the vents of the front defroster - so they will never get the warmth needed to melt snow/ice....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I think that everybody with this problem should immediately sell their MO. :2:

And quickly before it's Spring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How about we all just move to Phoenix/Scottsdale with Grip then we won't have this problem.:D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Personally I don't mind pulling up my wipers when its really really cold out before I start the car to get them unstuck. In trade, I get a sleek hidden wiper look, which I sort of like.

Now I just wish there was a replacement rear wiper blade I don't have to go to the dealer for! :3:

My rear wiper worked well for about 3 months, and now it just smears the rear window, despite the fact I keep the blade very clean and maintained (wipe with an alcohol pad every so often).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo said:
Won't the alcohol dry out the rubber?

I noticed new wipers come with an alcohol pad, so I assumed it helps to condition the rubber. I might be wrong though.

·
5,100 Posts
I think the alcohol is to remove the preservative that is put on the rubber blade to protect it until use. I thing a water wipe might be safer.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GripperDon said:
I think the alcohol is to remove the preservative that is put on the rubber blade to protect it until use. I thing a water wipe might be safer.
I guess I will use a water wipe as Grip suggests. You learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
rbsmo04,

If you shut the car off with the wipers @ the top position, then you can't start your MO until you've completely cleaned the windshield right? Unless you want to ruin them on the ice...

True...but if you want to get the wipers out of that hideaway abyss....it's the only way I've seen. :-(

The defroster is also really kinda crappy in the MO...

I like the "move to Scottsdale" idea! :)

Sure hope that damn Groundhog doesn't see his shadow in a few weeks.....

·
5,100 Posts
Now you know why we are near the top of the fastest growing city list, and low real estate prices and house taxes. :D

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
rbsmo04 said:
True...but if you want to get the wipers out of that hideaway abyss....it's the only way I've seen. :-(
How about removing the hood and covering the engine with a tarp? Now should be able to start the engine with the wiper arms up! :2:

Sorry, I know this is a serious problem for those who live in cold and snowy areas. Wonder if MO designers even considered that.

Edit: I wonder if removing the fuse for the wipers is an option. That will keep the wipers from operating untill it is safe to put the wipers down

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
In my experience, if it is so freezing cold the wipers are frozen, you'll need to use the ice scraper on the windows anyways. Why not lift up each wiper to free them from the ice while you are doing this?

·
5,100 Posts
zebelkhan thanks for your post, we needed that. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been llifting the wipers to scrape under them, but they don't move much at all. The driver side rubs against the edge of the hood, and it's already worn off the paint. The passenger side barely lifts an inch, so there is little room to scrape the ice... just a bad design...

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
GripperDon said:
zebelkhan thanks for your post, we needed that. :D
I was very serious about removing the fuse. If you anticipate ice and snow, operate the wipers to up position before turning the engine off. Then remove the fuse and pull the wipers up off the windsheild.

When you come back in the morning you can lower the wipers and start the car without risk of damage to the wipers until the ice has melted. Then just plug the fuse back in and you are good to go. You can also install a little switch (simply wire it in place of the fuse but use another inline fuse too). Just flip the switch off when you don't want the wipers to operate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts