Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when trying to start my MO, I notice the key won't turn. I always assumed the steering wheel was locking it (like in older cars when you turn the wheels after shutting off the engine), and so I jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and sure enough the key turns.

Well the other day I finally realized it's the immobilizer locking the key cylinder. When you insert the key, the red immobilizer icon will flash once on the dash, indicating it read the chip and the system is enabled to run. You can then turn the key and start the engine. Good news is it only takes literally 1 second for it to read the chip. I sometimes am in a rush and turn the key immediately after sticking it in.

Just thought I'd share!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Hey that's cool.
I thought the response time (to turn the key) was variable.
I guess it is me that is variable. :>)

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I actually tried this today, and try as I might, I could not put the key in fast enough and turn to find the ignition cylinder locked. Interesting...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad...

Did some more testing when I finally had the time... Turns out my original hypothesis was correct - it's the steering wheel locking the key cylinder. Without locking the steering wheel, you can in fact stick the key in and turn it right away. However, if you turn the wheel with the key out until you hear a click, it will lock the key cylinder. Guess some things never change.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I thought everybody automatically locked the steering wheel.
I always do.
Habit I guess.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: My bad...

BigRedNJ said:
Did some more testing when I finally had the time... Turns out my original hypothesis was correct - it's the steering wheel locking the key cylinder. Without locking the steering wheel, you can in fact stick the key in and turn it right away. However, if you turn the wheel with the key out until you hear a click, it will lock the key cylinder. Guess some things never change.

I like the "Airplane" reference in your sig.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: My bad...

Eric L. said:

I like the "Airplane" reference in your sig.
The fog is getting thicker...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My bad...

BigRedNJ said:

The fog is getting thicker...

And Leon is getting laaaaarrrrrger.

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts