Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Wow, I hope you got checked out by a doctor... Sometimes things happen internally that you need to keep an eye on.

Ow, Ow ow ow... It hurts just looking at that, especially knowing how long you've had it.

Enforcer, I'm just happy you're OK...:eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some things I learned:

The seatbelt release will release even though you are upside down being held by your seatbelt gagging and coughing trying to see the headliner but you cant because of all the noxious fumes and smoke from the airbags having deployed.

Alabama is a "no-fault" state which means basically the police do not determine fault, they report what they see at the scene and let it up to the insurance agencies and the victim figure it out.

Alabama requires you to fill out a form with your information to give to the other guy and another form with your and the other guys information that you have to send in within 30 days or your license is revoked. The trooper will take the first form to the other guy if he was hauled off in an ambulance to the hospital.

There is another form that you have to send in with a money order for $15.00 to get a copy of the accident report.

Alabama is a mandatory liability insurance state but it only requires you to have $10,000 of liability insurance.

The good news:

I'm sore but ok so far.

The other driver did admit fault of going left of center and losing control to me, the first officer on the scene (a local police officer) and to his insurance agent which called me that afternoon and confirmed they are "at fault".

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
OK, call be strange, but I had to look... Yup, you even still have the transmission cooling scoop still on and in good condition.

What a shame...:(

·
4,601 Posts
Phew, last thing you need is a battle for settlement in your favour.

Man, this sucks. Reminds me of Tman's crash. (Off topic, but FYI, he's driving an FX35 these days...)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm ok Jaak and I am keeping an eye on it as they didnt find anything "obvious".

Man looks like ya'll been busy out here holy smokes 10,000 new posts to read. Already looked at your 06 thread at this point I'll settle for an 05 unless I want to order one. I've searched the dealer inventory on the east coast and cant quite find an exact dupe of my 03.

edit: An FX huh, ya know I thought about that but I really like the CVT.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Damn!!!

Just when you thought you saw everything on this forum, Enforcer gives us an "up close and personal" report on the MOs crash-worthiness, with pictures and everything!! This is one hell of a forum!!

Seriously, I am glad you are OK.

How did the other driver/occupants fare?

-njjoe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. A couple of interesting things.

First, I am going to assume you did not have VSA (stability control). I think if you did, the rollover would have been avoided at the VSA system would have intervened to prevent the violent maneuver that caused the imbalanced situation. That is the reason I won't get a vehicle without this important safety feature.

Second, glad to see the Mo's roof structure held up well under its own weight. The Ford Explorer is under fire for having a roof that will pancake if the vehicle overturns the way your Mo did. Score one big one for Murano safety and structure!

·
Registered
629 Posts
shappy0869 said:
First, I am going to assume you did not have VSA (stability control). I think if you did, the rollover would have been avoided at the VSA system would have intervened to prevent the violent maneuver that caused the imbalanced situation. That is the reason I won't get a vehicle without this important safety feature.
Well I'm no expert here, but it would seem the rollover was due to the impact sending the vehicle off-axis rather than an abrupt maneuver.

I would not drive a vehicle that "prevented" me from swerving to avoid something in my path.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
special-k said:

Well I'm no expert here, but it would seem the rollover was due to the impact sending the vehicle off-axis rather than an abrupt maneuver.

I would not drive a vehicle that "prevented" me from swerving to avoid something in my path.
I have to agree with Special-K on this one. VDC would have had no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of this event.

This wasn't a "roll-over". This was a vehicle that was forced over by the violent impact of another car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Other guy had broken nose, right arm basically crushed (but not broken), several cuts, lots of bruizes and contusions.

LOL, yes I did have VDC, kind of hard for it to do much when the car is on its side or on its top. The passenger (right) side of the MO went up and over as the impact ripped the front wheel off and the rotational motion carried it on over. Keep in mind this all happened in milliseconds and the forces are phenominal even at 40mph. In fact it happened so fast I remember...for lack of better words...three near simultaneous events, pulling left, the hit and being upside down. Between the hit and upside down it slid on the driver side a tiny ways you can see the linear gouges in one of the pictures. But yes VDC is good which is why I specd it for both the MO and the Z. You can search for some of our original posts on that topic which at that time I thought we hashed that topic to death but I'll bet there are zillions more posts on that topic by now so I'm not going to add to it any more. I'll simply say VDC is good and I highly recommend it but it had no bearing here at all.

Edit: ok I'll say one more thing LOL, I posted this before but I know how hard the search function is to use. For those thinking VDC will save you from anything it won't. VDC as in all things, has its limits. In fact it tells you that in the manual, its not a save all device. Its not neutronium armor or inertial dampening. But thats ok everything has limits, thats why we have so many of them, modular construction, protected cab, reinforced pillars, seatbelts, airbags etc. All those limited safety devices help and you want them all working in your favor. Now if we could just get the crash foam they had in Demolition Man...:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
I didn't realize that it was the force of the collision that caused the rollover, that will teach me to read more carefully!

Still I would rather have VDC than not any day of the week. It may not be able to change the laws of physics, but it can sure help bend things in your favor, under the right circumstances.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Enforcer

I am glad you are okay. Sorry man, I really did not think this was your own car or I would not have used your picture to show a tranny cooler in the other thread! Although I must say you posted the pictures just in time, and as soon as he asked to see some other pictures of the scoop....:D

Again, I am glad you are okay. I have been in accidents like this and they are not fun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dayamn!

Some crash. Well, cars and other toys are replaceable. You are not. And you are intact:) That's good.

Are you considering any other vehicles as replacement?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Glad you made it alright. Well, practically alright.

Too bad about the MO.
Interesting to see if you can locate an 05 the way you like them.
I would guess that you have a better than even chance since the 06s are just starting to roll out.

Glad that you are AOK.

Homer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts