Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...

I'm no stranger to audio work, I've put speakers/amps/subs etc. in 3 previous cars that I have owned.

I have a 2005 Murano S; WITHOUT Bose.

I have already added the tweeters, and had no problem doing so; they sound great.

I purchased an infinity basslink sub, which I am trying to install.

I ran a 10 gauge power wire from the battery to the rear, on a 30 amp fuse. Ground is 10 guage, to a bolt behind the rear seat. Voltmeter says 12 volts at all points from the battery to the terminals on the sub; it has power.

I also purchased a PAC trunk-loc. I ran RCA cables and a remote turn-on lead to the basslink. Continuity OK.

I pulled the head unit, and have spliced into the rear speaker leads to give signal to the trunk-loc. Power and ground check out OK. I followed the directions to the letter; quadruple checed all the splices. Everything is good here.

I tried to fire everything up, only to find that the amp wouldn't turn on. Initially thought the trunk-loc might be bad, so I tried running the spliced-in speaker wires from the back of the head unit directly to the speaker-level input on the sub, instead of on the trunk-loc. Still nothing.

Finally, I break out the multimeter on the speaker leads, while the radio is playing. It reads 0.05 volts. All speakers are working, radio sounds find. But... 0.05 volts?

So I check the service manual (blowing 20 bucks in the process). Low and behold, it says the voltage should be at 1-1.5 volts.

What!?

The -trunk-loc (and I assume the basslink as well) requires a minimum of .8 volts just to trigger it...

So, am I not going to be able to use the basslink at all?

I've spent the whole day on this, and am incredibly aggravated and dissapointed. Please, someone guide me in the right direction...

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... Puzzling. But the multimeter may not be reading high enough because it's frequency range is not high enough to capture all the audio information.

Do you have it set to AC volts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, DC.

Has anyone successfully used speaker-level inputs on any device in a non bose murano? You're probably right about the frequency range, its just a cheap craftsman digital multimeter.

Update: I just looked over the technical service manual in more detail, and apparently speaker-level output voltage is the same on bose and non-bose systems. Since people here have successfully connected a bassslink to the speaker-level output from the bose amp that normally drives the bose sub, and since that voltage spec is the same as what comes from my head unit, I am assuming that this *should* work.

*sigh*

Back out to the garage....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update:

BAD F'ING GROUND. How one bolt into the chassis is a bad ground, and one 6" away is good, I don't know. Both were behind/under the rear seat/cargo area.

I've got the sub working w/ speaker-level inputs which is fine :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the sub working w/ speaker-level inputs which is fine :p [/B]
great! How does it sound?

Can you take pics of how/where you installed it? I have a 12" sub box in mine now and I'd like to see how much space the basslink takes up and where you decided to mount it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts