Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just released from injen::

RD Series Race Division Intake Systems: Murano 3.5L
he RD series is a cold air intake system for the enthusiast craving mid-range power. The intake tube is strategically placed behind the front bumper to acquire colder, denser air. Although most of the RD series is a one-piece design, several are two-piece designs due to the mass air flow meters. Every RD system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board and backed by Injen Technology's limited lifetime warranty.

A. 6061 Aluminum Alloy
B. Rubber vibra-mount used to relieve stress due to engine torque.
C. Injen silicon straight hose connections with stainless steel clamps.
D. Injen's specialty purpose silicone hose
E. Tig welded bracketry and rubber vibra-mount for extra support.
F. Tig welded vacuum ports.
G. Injen's urethane Air Filter with built in velocity stack

Attachments

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THESE make an AWESOME sound on the G coupe, and are VERY well made... i have no experience with them personally (nor will i, since i decided to go F/I instead), but know several that really like these intakes....

found this item HERE while ordering my new clutch.....

happy Mo'ing!

eS

·
Registered
834 Posts
What is F/I?

esemes said:
THESE make an AWESOME sound on the G coupe, and are VERY well made... i have no experience with them personally (nor will i, since i decided to go F/I instead), but know several that really like these intakes....

found this item HERE while ordering my new clutch.....

happy Mo'ing!

eS

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ah thanks.

I emailed Injen and asked for dyno results for a Murano as they seemed to have other cars they have a product for.

We'll see what happens.

·
4,664 Posts
I remember from years ago, that longer intakes gave better low end torque but at the expense of high rpm power.

Anyone hear of this or noted the difference on a dyno when installing one of these things? (I don't consider your behind and the sound to your ears a dyno, although they're often fun measures...):D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The intakes that involve a pipe as well as a filter are sometimes tuned. A wave is created in the intake when the intake valves close, and the air bounces off the valves back out the intake. The wave travels to the filter, and then bounces back. At whatever RPM the intake is tuned for, the wave will be returning to the intake valves just as they are opening, allow a bit more air to be crammed into the cylinder.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Moisture is ok, it's actual water you have to worry about.

·
Registered
792 Posts
SMS - thanks for staying involved with us after your Murano's departure. :)

Do you have the SC installed on the G35 yet? What are your overall impressions? I gotta see if I need to be cautious of some of these G35s.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looking at image: http://g35driver.com/forums/attatchments/276281-Injen-01.jpg

I am wondering two things (for now)

1) does the CAI simply slide down there or do you have to start pulling things apart like say replacing the fog lamp bulbs.

I would like to put on and if I had to restore OEM equipment if need be in under an hour.

2) Water, any concern sitting that low?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is the dyno results of the Injen CAI on a Murano:

I'm no expert reading this but to me it looks like a nice power increase between 3.5 - 5K RPMS.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
They responded very quickly to my request asnd want to pop in on this discussion. I replied with the link.

I also asked for instalation instructions, and how they would answer the water getting intothe CAI as I know it will be asked.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dmako--

the water IS an issue, as the airbox is eliminated, and the filter relocated lower (and more frontal to avoid getting as much hot air/vapor as posible..)

i know (for the G) they have two versions, onc which locates the filter (as i showed before), and a shorter version, which transofrms the long one (easily) and puts the filter up higher (albeit less effective)

if you go offroad, id say avoid the long one altogether......

if you stay onroad, id think about the long version, as even a standing puddle shouldnt get sucked in and cause hydrolock.... you'd need to drive the car into several feet of water.....

my opinions only, of course (and assuming they offer the two versions for the MO)

-eS

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Am I reading this thing right?
about 171 HP at the FW stock?
And it is rated at ? 240?

69 HP drivetrain loss?

That's WAY too much.
That would be 40% loss?????

I must be looking at it wrong.

Help me here, sms.

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hfelknor said:
Am I reading this thing right?
about 171 HP at the FW stock?
And it is rated at ? 240?

69 HP drivetrain loss?

That's WAY too much.
That would be 40% loss?????

I must be looking at it wrong.

Help me here, sms.

Homer
for the fx CAI they developed, they used an awd model. actually, they searched out an awd model for some reason.....

im thinking the same must apply to this (its an awd version, and , sit down, like the fx, experiences nearly 28% loss)

somewhere i have a fx35awd dyno showing the identical drivetrain losses....

·
Registered
466 Posts
As far as water goes, the engine won't suck up water unless the filter is completely submerged in water. Even if it is half submerged it should suck air through the other half before it sucks water because air is lighter. Of course, if you stomp on the throttle during half submersion, then some water may get in there. I had one on my old car and it was lowered. Whenever I had a doubt, I would just coast through in neutral, or with the clutch pushed in to drop the RPM's. With the Murano being as high as it sits, you would have to drive through some serious water. Most likely, a splash shield will have to be cut to get the filter locates to the right spot. They usually run the filter to the corner of the bumper, just in front of the wheel splash shield.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Gotta be sceptical of that dyno plot injen posted. ~25 ft lb gain at 3500 RPM???

Anyways, don't sweat the drivetrain loss. Wheel dynos are a very inexact science and the inexactness is greatly amplified when you move the an AWD dyno. The usefulness of the plots is to compare the effects of modificiations an a particular car, not the absolute numbers relative to other people's claims (unless you want bragging right for internet forums I guess).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts