Nissan Murano Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I did, in fact, I almost missed this one. These last posts by you guys didn't show up on my new posts link. By chance I saw you were the last poster to this thread and opened it. Geez, I've got to figure this problem out...

Anyways, back to the subject...looks good Murano_MDX and ALPAT! Can either of you two scan in the instructions for the wind deflector?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You need to get hold of the Moderator and just raise hell.

Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Falling off bug basher

I got one of the "falling off by itself" bug deflectors from Nissan that someone else wrote about.

It's held on by Allan (hex) screws with a plastic/nylon/rubbery thing between the screw and the hood.

One side is loose. It dropped and scraped the headlight housing (is that plastic or glass?).

Tomorrow they'll fix it (and finally give me my licence plate). Stupid Quebec government has delayed the transfer of the Pathfinder and the plating of the MO. Finally threw enough paper at them to make them happy.

Nissan cancelled my old plate (says they can't reuse a plate from a lease, but a woman I work with kept the plates from her leased Honda).

I say "plate" but I mean "tag". I say "plates" but in QC, we only get one.

Old habits. We used to get two (when I lived in Ontario).

·
Registered
278 Posts
...a handlebar moustache

I suppose.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Exploding Bug Deflector

I don't remember where the thread is about Nissan's exploding bug deflector vs. the 2nd edition of it.

Mine was loose. They tightened it. Then it flapped twice (one side) like gull wings, just before exploding into many pieces.

Somewhere in the gyrating, it did a lot of damage to the hood paint (right down to the primer).

I need to make sure that the replacement is version 2. They put a call in to Canada Head Office in Toronto.

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
Re: Exploding Bug Deflector

rainbowfarm said:
I don't remember where the thread is about Nissan's exploding bug deflector vs. the 2nd edition of it.

Mine was loose. They tightened it. Then it flapped twice (one side) like gull wings, just before exploding into many pieces.

Somewhere in the gyrating, it did a lot of damage to the hood paint (right down to the primer).

I need to make sure that the replacement is version 2. They put a call in to Canada Head Office in Toronto.

what happened, is the guard, or wing , began to vibrate at a very hi rate........ and then hit a 'resonance frequency' of sorts....aided by the onset of rushing wind.....

causing it to fail....... miserably......i wouldn't be so sure it wouldnt happen again..... (if the design of the guard is unchanged)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Resonance

Either here or on FA, there is a thread about a redesigned bug deflector from Nissan. I need to find out how to recognize the new one, and make sure I get it before they reinstall.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks, MM

The reason I got it all done by Nissan is:

okay, the reasons are:

It all became part of the vehicle cost and lease. Suppose the car is totalled or stolen. All that stuff is part of the replacement cost insurance (either from Nissan or from my insurer).

I really would not have had time to locate all of the accessories, and have them installed. This is not a task I would do myself (even if I had the time).

The dealer is now responsible for all of it. Had anything not come from Nissan and caused damage, that would be their "out".

They will be resolving the issue and repainting (there was already some paint damage when I picked it up and it's already got a reservation at the beauty parlour).

It will all work itself out. When they need to fix things, they come to the house, leave me a car, and leave with the MO, which is all I have time for these days.

Besides work, work, and work, we have added three rooms here, and a huge garden that's screaming to be harvested, canned, and frozen. Before winter, we have to get a backhoe, gravel, etc. in here, and the construction crews have to be cleared out (with all the materials) first.

Every day, besides making sure they all showed up, have coffee, and remember which end of the hammer is which (and a gentle reminder that the blue side of the roofing tiles goes up), I try to make sure that they are all still doing what the plan says. That does not always happen (door in the front please.

Good thing we have a long weekend (Canuck Thanksgiving). I can take a break from all of it.

Funny, two big chunks out of the hood of the nicest and most expensive car I've ever owned don't even really bother me. It will all get resolved. Compared to some of the mistakes they've made here since spring, this is a walk in the park.

To put it all into perspective, in less than a year, I turned bush into orchard and garden, with walks, roads, buildings, etc., and have resolved major ground water issues, almost on a daily basis.

It changes your attitude about what to sweat and what not to sweat (it all becomes small stuff after a while).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Then what diff does it make which version of the deflector you use?

I would assume the dealer is doing all this gratis anyway since he is in complete control of what goes on the car and how. Between him and Nissan the liabilities are rather concentrated.
Whcih of course is a major part of your reasoning as I see it.

Let him put on whatever version he thinks is best. He is the one who accepts the liability right?

Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, Homer

Yes, in the end, if they want to keep making the same mistake... but it becomes a nuisance to keep getting it changed and repainted.

I'm sure they'll figure it out soon enough. I would like to get the right thing on and staying on.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You know guys, I have to admit I'm just amazed at Nissan.

Now first of all, as you read the following, understand that I am NOT anti-Japanese cars.
For crying out loud, I owned Datsuns when some people around here were babys. And maybe before some were born! New - 1977 810, 1981 200SX, Used 1977 Z 2+2, 1985 510

I also bought a new 1999 Mazda Miata.

And I have just got done spending +30K on a Murano.
So, when it comes to being anti-japanese, I rest my case.

However.
I have driven "mostly" American cars for <> 45 years. Some good ones too like an new 57 Ford Convert, 1963 Sunbeam Alpine, 88 Corvette, and a new 92 Taurus SHO and an new 89 Mustang LX 5x5.
And it always seemed to me that Japanese car owners (JCOs for brevity) were a pain in the a$$. They were always touting how much better their cars were, etc. They were always talking about how dumb Ford and Chevy and Chryco were. And how they built real POS.

Well, I have seen the light.
I have bought New Japan again. I am a JCO.

What a crock!
It amazes me that Nissan stays in business!
They have got to be MUCH more screwed up than ANY American car company.
Can we spell SAT?
Well of course that was the 2003s.
ALL the 2003s.
For the whole year!

And they HAD a "fix' IN HOUSE! IN HOUSE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

AND GUESS WHAT???!!!!
It looks like this monkey drill is carrying over to the 2004s!!!!!

You want to buy some advertised extras like Chrome wheels?
No problem sir. We ship some every 4 or 5 months!

Rattles? Surely you are talking about a chevy, right? You CAN'T be talking about Japanese quality?!

You say there are many cases of squealing brakes?
(Did I tell you guys of my wasted trip to Nissan about my squealing brakes?)
That's probably Ford sir.

What happens if your alternator goes out? The fact that a part fails is not anything to be upset about, but.........you have to wait for weeks and weeks until they ship one from Japan? Just like early JCOs had to do, IN THE 60s!

As you can see, most "issues" surround manufacturing & QC, which is SUPPOSED to be where Japan holds an advantage, and company organization which is the most abysmal in the industry IMO.

Honest to goodness, after living with Ameriacn cars (mostly) for the last 20 years, and then watching this parade of incompetency I must say that either

A- Most JCOs are either very naive or maybe even liars about their cars/car companys, OR

B- Nissan is NOT a typical Japanese car company and the other Japanese car companys are ahead of Nissan for these very reasons.
In othere words, the reason that Nissan is #3 (I assume they are #3) is because that's all they deserve to be.

In any event, I am newly amazed about something every day it seems.
And yet I have been told by other JCOs that you buy a Japanese car and forget it.

That is simply not true.
I don't know about the other Japanese, but Nissan doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

Anyway,
Rant Off/

I am actually liking the actual car more, the longer I own it. Which is kinda normal for me as a I a real PITA about break in and therefore have not had any real fun yet.:cool:

Got almost 700 miles now, Another 500 and we'll see what this puppy will do. I'm up to driving it pretty well "normal" now, although I am still just throwing it in Ds, but not accellerating, just to vary the RPMs.

Yep, this is going to end up being a good car, providing the car company doesn't screw the pooch.

Homer :1:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You are the one who claimed Nissan was crazy.

I can't argue with that either.

Homer:1:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts