Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Murano!! My question is, can I put a rear facing carseat in the middle back seat using the seat latch anchors? This would mean using one latch from the left and one from the right seat. Can some one please help me? Thank you!
MenasMo

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
As a former Air Bag engineer I would be

hesitant to advise you to do anything not specifically stated as the stated by the Manufacturer. Oft times what seams reasonable on the surface is not so safe. From a side impact point of view it would seem advantageous to be seated away from the sides as far as possible to avoid intrusion into the vehicle and to be away from the side curtain deployment, however The action of the restraint latches may be different under crash load from both on and off axis collision, This could result in their failure to hold or allow the child seat to rotate and subject your child to potential injury.

We are all in a very litigious society. If anything ever happened ( God forbid) The insurance company could be all over you to avoid liability.

I would suggest calling the Nissan corp and or the manufacturer of the car seat for advice. Maybe even the NHTSA hot line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MenasMo said:
I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Murano!! My question is, can I put a rear facing carseat in the middle back seat using the seat latch anchors? This would mean using one latch from the left and one from the right seat. Can some one please help me? Thank you!
MenasMo
The base of your carseat should have the Latch anchors with an adjustable strap. You need to connect these anchors to the latch bars in the seat crease right by the seatbelt hooks on either side of the middle seat. Once they are attached use the adjustment to cinch it tight. If you have any questions on if you are doing it right, then go to your local baby store, such as babies-r-us and ask if they have someone certified to inspect your seat. Also, once the rear facing seat is installed in the base unit you need to make sure the angle of the install is correct. For my MO I needed to adjust the foot of the base unit to the middle setting for this to be correct.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any recommendations?

I'm having my first kid in a few months. Anyone have any recommendations are car seats that fit well in the MO? One other question... Are the side impact airbags any worse than the front airbags? What I mean is should the carseat be in the middle seat in the back?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am having my first child any day now. I too looked for car seats and my recommendation is to look on the web for most recommended car seats. For me, I selected the Graco Snugride because it was rated as one of the best infant car seats.

Other things to consider when looking for a car seat - look at onces that can latch into a base easily. The Graco has a car seat base that stays in the car. That way you can take the baby out of the car in the baby carrier and not wake-up the baby if he/she is sleeping. Also, the Graco has a "system" so you can latch the baby carrier into a stroller as well and, when the baby is older, you can remove the baby carrier and put the baby directly into the stroller. The Graco bases also has a level-gauge to help ensure that your infant seat is properly level.

As for mounting the infant seat - the center of the back seat is the safest place. But as others have found, the latch anchors are in either outboard seating position, and the latch for the center position in way back in the hatch. After a bit of thought, I mounted my child seat behind the driver's seat using the latch anchors. I believe the side impact air bags will not be an issue if they should deploy. My only concern is intrusion on the passenger compartment, but after being T-Boned by a landscaping truck moving at 45 mph in my first MO (2003 SE AWD) and not experiencing any side intrusion in the passenger compartment, I don't feel as bad putting the child seat toward one side of the MO. But that's just my own decision. You'll have to do what makes you feel best.

Bob

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i have put the car seat in the centre with the latch under the back seats... i.e i didnt have to run the latch all the way to the back... there ARE hidden latches to place the car seat either at the back of passenger seat or at the centre... but one thing i noticed having the seat in the centre was that my clothes would get dirty in winter by rubbing on the MO.... its not that i am short (6'2") but i had to bend to get in MO.... and my wify (5'7") had got her clothes dirty as well ...dont know how though but somehow it was blamed on me for putting the seat so DEEP...... so i moved it behind the passengar seat... im using the Graco Snugride with the stroller and as mentioned by rtking, it is way better option since you can leave the base in the car and move the seat alone, also, you can buy another base for your second car from Graco. one thing i have done is bought a blanket to put under the whole system and made couple of cuts in the blanket to enable proper latching.... that way whenever the baby decides to throw her milk or any food it wouldnt reach my leather but gets on the blanket and i can wash it later..... there is however no solution for milk stains on the door !!

good luck with your new one !!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
That makes me feel better.

"there ARE hidden latches to place the car seat either at the back of passenger seat or at the centre."

In light of the posts added after this It makes think my eariler post was better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No, you can not/should not install the rear facing car seat in the middle. No rear facing car seat should ever be installed, in any vehicle, where there is a fold down arm-rest.

Lose the arm rest, and it would be okay, although the latch anchors n the MO are designed to be used for car seats in the outboard positions. A serious design oversight, IMO, as the middle position is always the safest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recall reading in the owner manual (2004) that the latch anchors should NOT be used if the car seat is placed in the center position. I check later on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Re: Installing a carseat

NatasG said:

The base of your carseat should have the Latch anchors with an adjustable strap. You need to connect these anchors to the latch bars in the seat crease right by the seatbelt hooks on either side of the middle seat. Once they are attached use the adjustment to cinch it tight. If you have any questions on if you are doing it right, then go to your local baby store, such as babies-r-us and ask if they have someone certified to inspect your seat. Also, once the rear facing seat is installed in the base unit you need to make sure the angle of the install is correct. For my MO I needed to adjust the foot of the base unit to the middle setting for this to be correct.
No, no, no! This advice is 100% wrong. Neither Nissan, nor any car seat manufacturer, will advise you to place the carseat in the middle location and use the inside latch points for the outside mounting locations. I had a certified car seat installer here in NY read me the riot act on this very topic.

This move will serve to compromise the integrity of the seat and saftey of your child in the event of a crash.

The only suitable rigging for a middle carseat application is to use the center seatbelt and running the teather to the back of the car (for rear facing apps, as stated, for the rear, it doesn't really work because of the armrest, which poses a safety hazard). However, as I'm sure most of you have noticed, the lap/shoulder belt combo doesn't get the seat nearly as tight as the latch belts on a rear-right or rear-left mounting.

I went with a rear-passenger side application. Someone else said they went behind the driver. But consider the fact that rear-passenger side not only allows you to see the child better, but also enables you to take a child out of the car and NOT be on the street side when doing so, with traffic to your back.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Installing a carseat

KOZ said:

I went with a rear-passenger side application. Someone else said they went behind the driver. But consider the fact that rear-passenger side not only allows you to see the child better, but also enables you to take a child out of the car and NOT be on the street side when doing so, with traffic to your back.
Good point. I went behind the driver's seat because my wife will be sitting in the back with the baby and this will allow her to enter from the passenger side and move up the passenger seat to gain all sorts of leg room. (My wife is 5'10") Admittedly, it also allows me to make use of the 60/40 split too by placing the child seat on the 40% split side of the seat. I think either outboard location is ultimately OK, but if you're going to be driving without your spouse in the car, then the passenger-side location is best as KOZ indicated. It allows the driver the ability to look and check on the baby.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life as it has great car seat advice.

My son just turned 1 this weekend and we turned his car seat around. It's on the driver side. Someone said to worry about traffic at my back while I take the child out... well in NJ, we pull into parking spaces, never really parking in the street and for the few rare times I do, I can get in the passenger side and sit in the car while I take him out. I like having the 70\30 split access to the 70% as I'm always using it layed down for something.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
TheGymKid said:
I'm bringing this thread back to life as it has great car seat advice.

My son just turned 1 this weekend and we turned his car seat around. It's on the driver side. Someone said to worry about traffic at my back while I take the child out... well in NJ, we pull into parking spaces, never really parking in the street and for the few rare times I do, I can get in the passenger side and sit in the car while I take him out. I like having the 70\30 split access to the 70% as I'm always using it layed down for something.
Wow, GymKid, it seems like just yesterday you were posting about your newborn. Time flies, huh?

We just had our first, Calvin, born Feb 25th. Like you, I have the carseat (Graco Snugride) behind the driver. Couldn't get it to fit right in the middle (you CANNOT use the latch anchors for the middle seat, they are only designed for the outboards) but it fit quite well on the outboards.

I did the driver side for 3 reasons:

1) Don't have to walk around to the other side of the car to get him in/out.

2) 70% of the seat can fold down (same reason you mentioned)

3) If someone is in the front passenger seat, it's easier for them to see/deal with the baby if he's on the opposite side.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Corin said:

Wow, GymKid, it seems like just yesterday you were posting about your newborn. Time flies, huh?
I know... it's been a whole dam year since the little guy was born... I have to find that other thread where I posted about having a baby.

SO CONGRATS your little one, Feb 25th huh... good thing it wasn't the 29th this year. :eek: How are those nights working out for you? :D My kid can sleep for 11 hours 2 weeks in a row at night, or get up every 2 hours for 2 weeks in a row... mostly while he is teething. Sucks when both parents work. Besides from that one complaint... I'm extremly happy. He took his first steps this week... so he walks from coffee table to couch to chair to me... but crawls when it's a long distance. So the baby gates just went up this week now. Okay, I can go on and on as I'm an excited proud father but I'll stop right here. :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Congrats to the new daddy !!:1:

Im expecting our bundle of joy at the end of June. I just finished a Car Seat Safety Class offered by the ministry of transportation. There are a lot of valid safety points already said by previous posts.
This is the main points as from the course:
1) LATCH System - ONLY attach the car seat(base) in the designated LATCH points (either left or right side of backseat) -> crash test were only performed and approved in those locations by the car seat manufacturers, and no one knows what happens in a crash if they are used inpropperly. **All cars manufactured after 2002 have LATCH system for car seats.
2) DO NOT install car seat in the center position with the ARMREST. Armrest could open rapidly or dislodge and injure the baby or other occupants in the vehicle during a crash.
3) Use ONLY ONE method of installing the car seat - LATCH system OR seat belts, NEVER BOTH.(again, they were only crash tested using one, not both)
4) ALWAYS, ALWAYS follow BOTH CAR SEAT AND VEHICLES manual when installing a car seat. Most car seats have a level - make sure you are within the recommendations for the angle at which it is installed(car seat should be at 45 Angle).
5) PRATICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - make sure you are confortable when installing the seat and that it is installed correctly - ITS YOUR BABY
6) Even if the car seat is EMPTY, make sure it is installed properly as it could become a projectile in an event of a collision.

This is just the major points that everyone installing a infant car seat should know AND follow.

If there is any other specific questions, please ask.

It varies from state to state and in Canada, but in Canada when you get caught with an inpropperly installed seat(even if its empty or just the base), its 2 demerit points and $500 fine.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
There are also a lot of places that have people certified in car seat installs that will check your install free of charge. Some fire departments do it, some hospitals.

Googling your area should work to find a place, or you could call the child-birth center at pretty much any hospital and they should know who you can call.

Definitely worthwhile just to have someone look and make sure you did it correctly. They can also give you tips on how to install your specific seat in your specific car, not only to make sure it's in there properly but also tips on easy ways to do it (like using your knee to push down the base while you tighten the straps with your hands).

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
By the way, thanks for the congrats you guys! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts