Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM Navi into a non-Navi Murano **UPDATES**

Posted this on the freshalloy.com forum so I'll try here also...

Hi everyone,

I just got the following parts:
LCD Color Display, Navigation Control Unit & Navigation Display Control Unit.

I will be ordering from the dealer:
GPS Antenna

Now I need help:
Are the wires pre-existing? Is it just plug & play, or do I need to get the wiring harness for the Navi.

Can anyone get the scematic for the Navigation System...Hopefully someone can point to the right direction on where to find it (hopefully with minimal $$$ spent).

Where exactly is the Antenna & Cont. Assy-AV installed (Navi Display Control Unit)...I know where the LCD & DVD rom goes, but need some help in putting the remainder parts in the right position.

AND...Is there anything else I need? I saw somewhere I may need the Navi Switches, but that's $336!?! That's more than what I paid for the 3 main parts. I'm assuming I can use the existing switches which are labled differently. I see on a previous post that the DVD is ~$500, but the guy said it's in the DVD Rom...

Please help me, I'd like to get this in the car ASAP...I'll also take photos of the install and let you guys know how it's coming...

Thanks again,
Wil

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
FActory service manual from nissan publication page...

is what you need. $20 for 24 hr download.
You need broadband connection to downloads all the PDFs
Good luck.

Can anyone get the scematic for the Navigation System...Hopefully someone can point to the right direction on where to find it (hopefully with minimal $$$ spent).
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/find.asp?mscssid=

·
4,601 Posts
The wiring harness is missing wires on the Non Nav Murano, so you've got more work than just plugging it in... Get the service manual and start checking!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

OK.

1. Downloaded the Manual...Not bad, got everything I needed, and then some (Engine, Electrical, Body, etc...)

2. Went to the Dealer & ordered the Navi Antenna ($68 :3: ). Found out that they can't sell just part of the dash harness...You have to buy the whole thing...Didn't ask how much, because I knew it would be expensive (& I didn't want to take the whole dash apart)

So It looks like I have to make my own harness...No big deal, I've done my own wiring harness on my 71 Corolla (engine harness, instrument harness, lights harness, etc...). I've been studing the manual over the weekend & I'll have to make up alot of them for the Navi, but there are 14 (I think) wires that go the the exisiting Display Unit which I can reroute them to the Navi. I also have to reroute the Audio wires to the Navi, & I know there's more, but I'll take my time in doing this.

So my wife has to drive the other car until this is done, or drive this car with the missing center console :)

Oh, it's a 2004 Murano SL.

I'll keep you guys posted

WiL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gripperdon...

"X-Box/DVD via NAV in process."

Did your SL come with NAV? I thought the SE had this option.

WiL

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
My SL has a NAV. A package i bought is called the "Technology Package" and the NAV is in it.

·
The Member
104 Posts
NAV

Here is what i have to say.
The $390 that you have spent on parts off ebay + $60 for antenna to me look like a waisted money. I'm going to explain why....
I too looked at those parts and talked to some people about this issue. What i was told was... Non-NAV MO's have completely different wire harness, NAV uses VDC(which i assume you don't have) when GPS signal is not available or to track small movements of the car. The console cover will run you about $300 shipped(totally not worth the $ for the piece of plastic).
A service manager at the dealership told me that this project is just not worth it and i totally agreee with him. $1000 investes in parts, not including wire harness, which as far as i understood runs through the whole car and dealers charges appr few grand to get that replaced(not that anybody ever done it).
Now correct me if i'm wrong, but as much as i would like to be on your place installing these parts that i could have had for $500 Buy It Now and a week earlier then you did :2: , isn't it easier to just do a trade in and get a NAV car or just buy something like this.....

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4211294#detailed

Btw, this price is not the one you usually see, it's about $100 off the usuall price on this unit, so if anybody is interested, jump on and thank me later :rolleyes:

·
4,994 Posts
I have NAV and don't have VDC.

·
The Member
104 Posts
VDC

Possible, but I still wasn't brave enough to take a chance :)

P.S. I do drive few hrs every day :eek:

·
4,994 Posts
I was not advocating the possibility of the installation, just that if NAV requires VDC, I don't have it.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
GripperDon said:
I was not advocating the possibility of the installation, just that if NAV requires VDC, I don't have it.
Hi Don,

Unless things changed in '05, you absolutely must have VDC since you got NAV. As was pointed out earlier, at least in '03 and '04 the two are inextricably linked.

Now for the poster trying this retrofit, please let me know if you are interested in selling the nav system controller if/when you decide this project is just not worth the time/effort/money. I would like to get my hands on it to look into replacing the OS and getting it into the hands of more highly skilled hardware guys around here like Jaak and Generator.

Thanks!

·
4,994 Posts
Well if I do there is no VDC button in the vehicle, It is not listed on the broadcast sheet. The place next to the headlight level adjuster was empty. How else can I tell? I would love to have it but :(

·
4,601 Posts
I haven't looked into it, but it's possible it uses elements of the VDC system, not all of it.

These days, so much is software switched on common hardware, you can't be sure.

I've got the wiring for VDC behind the panel on the left side. Or is it the HID's? I don't remember, but there's an empty connector there.

So you might both be right!

·
4,994 Posts

·
4,994 Posts
What I am saying is If you have VDC you get a switch and I don't have a switch so I strongly doubt I have VDC. The switch is shown as part of the package on the 05 service manual.

I do have a NAV without VDC. It was indicated in a previous post that was not possible, So I guess i have that really unique MO
1. NAV no VDC
2. NO problems of any kind.

I know just wait!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
What I am asking is this....Those who have VDC, why would they ever want to turn it off? What special circumestance would require that? Just want to know.

·
4,994 Posts
For throwing out the back end in the snow. :2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
GripperDon said:
What I am saying is If you have VDC you get a switch and I don't have a switch so I strongly doubt I have VDC. The switch is shown as part of the package on the 05 service manual.

I do have a NAV without VDC. It was indicated in a previous post that was not possible, So I guess i have that really unique MO
1. NAV no VDC
2. NO problems of any kind.

I know just wait!
Another Difference with the '05s...The Dynamic Control package is no longer required with NAV. That explains why you moved your after-market TPMS from the '04 to the '05.

(from Nissan site)
Dynamic Control Package (SL, SE)
• Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
• Traction Control System (TCS)
• Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
This package requires SL Touring Package or SE Touring Package.

Technology Package (SL, SE)
• Nissan Navigation System with GPS DVD-ROM atlas and 7-inch color LCD monitor.
• Rearview monitor (with hatch-mounted rear camera).
This package requires SL Touring Package or SE Touring Package.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts