Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked at the speakers the come with the Bose system yet? I assume the doors have 6 1/2 inch speakers. Does anyone know if they're cheap paper speakers? The Acura RSX Type S comes with a Bose system and subwoofer but the 6 1/2 inch speakers are all cheap paper cones.

Perhaps this weekend I'll take the door trim off and look if no one doesn't already know the answer. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I believe that the front and rear door speakers for the Bose System are 6 1/2" and most likely paper cones. The system sounds good at low levels but anything higher, it doesn't sound good at all. I want to keep the head unit (for obvious reasons), but would like to add aftermarket amps, speakers and subs. Does anyone know on where I should tap into to get the signal from? From looking at it, there are two amps for the stock system: one for the mids/highs, and one for the sub, which is in the sub enclosure itself.

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Bose System

From what I've seen, the side doors are using oversized 6 3/4 speakers. You can get adapters so you can use 6 1/2's, which will give you a much wider variety of speakers to choose from.

..The second you change those speakers, you will need a new head unit/amp combo. From what I've read either there is an external amp, or there is an amplifier for each speaker which is typical for all Nissan/Bose systems. The amp runs a 1 ohm load which makes it virtually incompatable with any other aftermarket speaker out there.

I too am looking to ditch the Bose system, but there are some roadblocks:

1. No aftermarket headunit install kit yet available from Metra, Scosche, or American International.

2. The only Sat Radio option is aftermarket.. Not necessarily a bad thing.. Since nobody knows what the display would have looked like.. You will find with Sat Radio, the display becomes very important when trying to read Artist & Title info.. etc.. I have a Delphi Sky-Fi and it's a perfect match with the amber dash illumiations. Just waiting for a VSM Mount from Pro-Fit to become available for the Murano. Until then I am using their Ultimount. Once a dash kit is available I will rewire the Sky-Fi to use my Pioneer head unit's IP-BUS input, using it as an auxillary input.

3. Hopefully a company such as MTX or JL Audio will come out with a "ThunderForm" or "StealthBox" solution to get better BOOM without losing any space... There's a lot of room underneath the center console.. Could put a 10" there.. Can't wait!! The sub on top of the spare seems to be a lost cause.

·
Registered
466 Posts
From talking with Crutchfield, they say there is no seperate amp for each speaker, and that the impedance is 4 ohms as well. I can believe this because this was the case in my RSX as well, which had the Bose system in it. Crutchfield said that Bose is going away from amplifying each speaker seperately to cut down on costs among other things. If you look up the MO on Crutchfield, they have a list of drop in speakers that fit right in the factory openings. How they sound is a total different story. Since, the stock HU is so incorporated with the dash, the screen above, and the steering wheel mounted controls, it looks like a major pain in the ass to replace it, and yet have it look decent without losing all the controls that the stock one had. I'm tempted to replace the stock speakers with some Polk Audio's, then adding an aftermarket sub. I wonder how this would sound...???

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
This is the reply I got from Ralph Turner at AI:

--------------------------------------------------------
You cannot remove the factory radio from any Nissan Murano, therefore there will never be a kit built, as the Climate controls and radio controls are all on the same pc facia board in the dash.We could build a kit but you would lose all the climate controls. This is not acceptable to most buyers of vehicles.

Ralph Turner
Technical Support Mgr.
American International
------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Not a good sign... If the speaker impedance is 4 Ohm...Then there MAY be some hope.. :)

Ryan

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good research Ryan. Like I said earlier, I wasn't really looking into replacing the stock HU, even though an aftermarket one will give a much better and cleaner signal. I'm thinking I could just use high level inputs from the HU to run into my aftermarket amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts