Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MUTH Signal Mirrors arrived today.

I purchased the unheated version - p/n: 220-0186-0. It cost $219 plus $13 for shipping. MUTH sells both heated and unheated versions, and also has a kit to add heated mirrors if your MO did not come with them.

Although the box was damaged by UPS the contents (2 mirrors, wiring harnesses, and instructions) were intact. The packaging appears pretty robust.

The sixteen-page instruction pamphlet is specifically tailored to the Murano. The photos are all of a 1st-gen MO being modified. That's a nice touch. A lot better than the more common generic instructions usually found with some automotive accessories.

Weather permitting I will install the mirrors this weekend. I'll post pics of the project once I am done.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The njjoe-MO now has signal mirrors! :29:

The installation process was relatively easy. The whole process took about three hours, but if I had to do it again I could probably shave an hour off that.

Removing the door interiors is a piece of cake, especially considering it is the second time I have done it (last year I upgraded the speakers). The mirrors are fastened to the door with three nuts. They are easily removed so you can work on them off the car. The OEM mirror glass pops right off. Installing the new glass was even simpler. Routing the wires through the doors, under the dash and over to the fuse block took some time but it was pretty easy.

The time consuming part was locating the turn signal wires to power the mirrors. I spent close to an hour trying to find the two wires that I needed to tap into. Locating a green wire with a black stripe and a green wire with a yellow stripe in one of five bundles of wires in a small, confined space in 90-degree heat was no easy task (as evidenced by the blood-stained instruction sheet :eek: ). However, now that I know where they are I could find and tap into them in about 5 minutes.

The results look good! The LEDS are very bright and can be seen from within the car, which is exactly what I was looking for.

The mirrors are LED and they come on and go off just a fraction of a second quicker than the incandescent turn signal lamps. It is very eye-catching.

It looks like it is time to upgrade my signature again. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
354 Posts
joe: Sounds like a really nice addition to your car as well as your signature block....good show. I'd be tempted myself....but would probably pick your brain to see if I could shorten the time involved in the search and destroy mission in the wire loom.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are considering adding Muth Signal Mirrors to your MO you might want to take a look at this link: http://www.muthco.com/epapers/21001060.pdf . It is a full-color, step-by-step brochure that shows a MO being outfitted with the mirrors.

Although very clear, I would expand upon one item. In step #2 in the "Mirror Replacement" section they say to remove the three screws under the mirror. The screws they are referring to are hidden under a piece of vinyl tape. I recommend carefully removing this tape because it needs to be reused. I may be wrong, but I think it's purpose may be to reduce whistling.

-njjoe

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just took a look at that link....and decided I like the car the way it is. I cant' find my degree certification for electrical engineering. Must have filed it under trainwreck!! More power and kudos to you folks who can fiddle with wiring....to me it all falls under the technical category of FM....F'ing Magic. IMO....This is where the VISA comes in handy. :29:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
chuck jones
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing