Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on integrating an Alpine VehicleHub Pro with the Bose system in my 06 Murano without navigation. Basically, this component is designed to allow you to build an Alpine system around an OEM system that basically doesn't allow you to remove the head unit. Basically, it is a head unit, but without the in-dash part...just the "guts." It would sit under a seat, and the inputs to the unit are the speaker-level signals coming from the Bose amp. The system is controlled using their "Orb" controller, and you view the vehiclehub menus, etc. on the vehicle's LCD screen (which is interfaced using an aftermarket adapter such as nav-tv, etc.--I will be using the Peripherals PNVI unit because it will auto-sense which output needs to be displayed based on whether or not it has a signal from the vehiclehub, and won't require an extra switch, remote, etc. other than the Alpine one).

The first thing I'm going to use this unit for is to add Alpine's full-speed ipod interface. I would expect this to be a better solution than Nissan's interface, which last time I checked wasn't fully functional for 06's anyway. After that (after I save up a few more pennies) I'm going to add an Alpine navigation system. Bluetooth, other amps, USB interfaces, sound processors etc. are all other things you can add directly to the VehicleHub Pro.

I do see a couple potential issues here, and I wanted to get the feedback of the users on this site who appear to have a pretty good handle on the workings of the Bose system.

1. I realize that I'm basically "wasting" the Bose amp (well except for the sub, which will eventually get replaced), but I would bet the 18 W RMS from the VehicleHub Pro isn't that much less powerful in practice. BUT....it seems the consensus is that the Bose speakers are 2 Ohms at most, with the front speakers wired in parallel with the tweeters and possibly presenting a 1-Ohm load. I have a good feeling this may be quite harmful to the Alpine unit, correct? If so, I'll want to go ahead and replace all the speakers in the vehicle with the exception of the "sub".

2. As far as the Bose sub goes, I'm going to eventually replace it. I am wondering if the full range of frequency spectrum is sent to the front/rear speakers. I realize there are caps on the tweeters, and coils on at least the front woofers to filter out the lows from the tweeters and the highs from the woofers. What I haven't been able to determine from reading this site is whether the bass frequencies sent to the subwoofer are also sent to the woofers in the front and rear? This is important, because if so, I'll be able to manipulate bass and add a subwoofer directly to the VehicleHub Pro, and if not, I'll have to just grab the outputs from the Bose amp and connect to my new sub amp speaker-level inputs as others have done here. Not that that is a bad solution, but it would take away from the "seamless" integration of the Alpine unit by not allowing me to control bass via the Alpine (which has subwoofer outputs, crossovers, etc. built-in).

Sorry about the long first post...thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On second thought, as far as my second question goes, I think I NEED to send the vehiclehub a speaker-level signal that contains the whole frequency spectrum. Since volume is adjusted using the vehiclehub unit (after the factory system volume is set to an appropriate level and left there), it would be very obnoxious to not have the sub volume tied to the volume of the rest of the system.

So....is there a speaker-level input available that hasn't been high-pass or low-pass filtered?

Unfortunately, I don't think the unit is meant to take a low-level signal, otherwise I'd just use a PAC adapter from the OEM head unit. The only inputs I see on the vehiclehub are speaker-level though (and I don't imagine it would work to feed those a low-level signal?).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure I have anything helpful to add, but I'm curious to see how this turns out. I've seen this thing, but descriptions of just HOW it's meant to integrate with an OEM system are pretty tough to come by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right....I think that although they advertise that it can interface with "virtually any" OEM system, the way it interfaces is going to have to be very specific depending on the vehicle. I think I've got the video part figured out, but I still am not sure about the best way to feed it a speaker-level input that hasn't had any high-pass or low-pass filters applied.

Unless I hear otherwise, I do think I'll probably need to replace the door speakers so as not to risk damaging the VehicleHub (although I guess I could call Alpine and ask them if it can handle the lower impedance).

·
Registered
21 Posts
The unit didn't come with a spec sheet, i take it.

Where did you get the VehicleHub, by the way? I haven't really been able to locate them for sale, even online. I almost wondered if they weren't shipping yet.

What is your concept for how the unit will operate with respect to your existing system? How are things controlled, is anything displayed on the OEM screen, etc.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ToBeAnnounced said:
The unit didn't come with a spec sheet, i take it.

Where did you get the VehicleHub, by the way? I haven't really been able to locate them for sale, even online. I almost wondered if they weren't shipping yet.

What is your concept for how the unit will operate with respect to your existing system? How are things controlled, is anything displayed on the OEM screen, etc.?
I actually haven't ordered it yet, although I have seen new unopened ones on ebay for about $400. I imagine any authorized Alpine dealer can get you one, and I am planning on going through one in my area (Tampa, FL) and having it professionally installed. The UI for the unit will display on the OEM screen in my Murano. It's an 06 (without nav) with the full color screen so this should work just fine. I'm going to use this unit to interface the video output of the VehicleHub with the screen:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=817

If all works as advertised, that adapter unit will automatically display the VehicleHub output on the screen when the unit is activated. Otherwise, the normal vehicle display will show. As a side note, I've been told the plug-and-play vehicle-specific harness for that unit is incompatible with the 06 Murano, so the installer will have to alter the existing harness and splice the vehicle's wires.

So, in short, the wired "orb" controller will be used to control everything, and the menus, etc. will display on the vehicle's screen. Pushing a button on the controller will get back the OEM display.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
How many speaker level inputs are there?

The Bose amp outputs 6 signals:
1 pair front (left and right)
1 pair rear (left and right)
1 pair subwoofer (left and right)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tyler_Canada said:
How many speaker level inputs are there?

The Bose amp outputs 6 signals:
1 pair front (left and right)
1 pair rear (left and right)
1 pair subwoofer (left and right)
There are only 2 (left and right) speaker-level inputs on the VehicleHub. It then takes those inputs and outputs front and rear left and right (4 channels), in addition to a sub channel (this may be stereo, I'd have to double check, but it's not important here anyway). So, the potential problem is that there is no dedicated low frequency input, and I'll need to input a full-range speaker-level signal which the unit takes and filters as specified. I'm hoping that all the frequencies are sent to the front or rear speakers and I can grab one of these pairs as the speaker level inputs, but this is what I need confirmation on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ToBeAnnounced said:
Just FYI, I thought I would point out this eBay auction for one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-VPA-B211...ryZ60208QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like a decent price.
Thanks...I'm not exactly sure of all the differences, but keep in mind that's the old standard VehicleHub and not the newer VehicleHub Pro. I know the Pro is compatible with the newer full-speed ipod cable, among other differences, so I'm definitely going to go with the Pro model when I do get one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts