Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a co-worker of mine brought up a very good question with the intelligent key system that i've never thought of. and since i'm at work while my mo is parked in my garage at home, i can't verify it yet.
anyways, his question is that with the intelligent key, is it useless to lock your doors while you're inside the car? let's say someone wants to car jack your murano, can he just run to the doors and push the black button to get in even if you have to doors locked?

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can't unlock the door when the key is inside the vehicle. the interesting thing about intelligent key is if you were jacked i wonder if the car would turn off when the guy tried to drive away?

i know i've walked away from valets a few times and the car remains on... might have to experiment with this later.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Wouldn't it fall off the Jack ?

:p

·
Registered
193 Posts
If the MO's doors are locked, you will not be able to use the inteligent key to open the doors from outside. However, if you leave your car running, someone can just jump in and drive it away. They will have to leave the car running forever otherwise they won't be able to start the car again.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Ok, I am getting lost here. Either I am reading this wrong or it is a mistype:

Cruise and chimpanzee, what do you mean "you can't unlock the door when the key is inside the vehicle"? What is the difference between the key being inside and 6 inch further just on the outside? Are you saying that if someone (a child) locks the doors from inside the car there is no way to unlock the doors? I do not buy that....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
intelligent key explained

zebelkhan,
when you have the intelligent key, you don't need to take out the keys to open the door. all you need to do is push a little black button on the door handle (while the intelligent key is in the vicinity) to lock and unlock the doors.
what they mean is that the car can tell the difference when the intelligent key is inside or outside the car (although i need to verify this on my murano). so when the intelligent key is outside the car, the little black button will lock and unlock the doors for you. but when the intelligent key is inside the car, the little black button won't work.
they don't mean that when you push the lock unlock button from the inside of the car, it won't work. it's just that the little black button on the outside (on the door handle) won't work. you'll have to physically use a key to insert it into the door handle to unlock or push the unlock on the transmitter (i assume).

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
We are getting off track here. Let's summurize.

If you are inside the Mo with the engine running and you want to lock the doors all you have to do is press the power door lock switch on the arm rest. The doors can not be opened from the outside even if someone presses the Intelligent Key button on the exterior latch. This is a good deterent to car jacking, as questioned in the first post.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did not know the MO knew the difference between the key being inside or outside (or is it more like engine running or not running?). If that is the case I guess disabling the button on the outside makes sense....

·
4,994 Posts
Amazing isn't it?

The Phaeton is the same way there is a little guy that watchs whats going on and says "They are back" when you get inside. Then they hold their finger over the outside button and stop you from pushing it. :2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I still don't understand how the MO would know if the intelligent key is inside or outside the car, in order to "know" when to prevent the intelligent key button on the outside from working. Unless with the engine turned on, that's the signal that the key is inside the car.

The only other explaination I can think of is that there are two receivers in the car for the intelligent key, so that it can triangulate the location of the key from two signal strengths.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:
I still don't understand how the MO would know if the intelligent key is inside or outside the car, in order to "know" when to prevent the intelligent key button on the outside from working. Unless with the engine turned on, that's the signal that the key is inside the car.

The only other explaination I can think of is that there are two receivers in the car for the intelligent key, so that it can triangulate the location of the key from two signal strengths.
Eric-

It has nothing to do with the location of the Intelligent key. The outside Intelligent Key door latch button becomes disabled if you lock the door from the inside using the power door lock switch on the arm rest.

Would someone please try this at home to confirm it?

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can somebody tell me if I can install an aftermarket alarm, say a viper 2 way, with the intelligent key? I don’t want to lose the ‘walk up to car, open door, start car’ feature of the smart key but want to have the 2 way protection of a viper alarm. Anybody know if the two can integrate with each other?

Any ideas appreciated.

·
4,994 Posts
Depends if the "Little Guy is Awake or not"

maximus96 said:
Can somebody tell me if I can install an aftermarket alarm, say a viper 2 way, with the intelligent key? I don’t want to lose the ‘walk up to car, open door, start car’ feature of the smart key but want to have the 2 way protection of a viper alarm. Anybody know if the two can integrate with each other?

Any ideas appreciated.
:p

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok, let me try it now, ill be back in 5 mints.

·
Registered
146 Posts
when the car is running and you lock the door by the handle inside, that will dissable the black botton at the door, so nobody can open the door from outside, but if the door is unlock and you try to push the black botton by the door it will bip about 6 time to let you know. and you will be able to open the door.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
risaralda said:
when the car is running and you lock the door by the handle inside, that will dissable the black botton at the door, so nobody can open the door from outside, but if the door is unlock and you try to push the black botton by the door it will bip about 6 time to let you know. and you will be able to open the door.
risaralda-

Thank you for verifying the operation.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Neato!! Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i just did an experiment this morning

i had the mo parked in my driveway and had the driver window open. with the intelligent key outside the mo, the black button works fine. then i threw the key inside the car (with the engine off), then the black button doesn't work anymore. the mo just chirps at me when i push the black button when the key was inside. this means that the mo DOES know when the key is inside or outside the car!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
risaralda said:
if the door is already unlocked in the case you described, can't you just pulled the handle to open the door instead of pressing the black button? or am i misunderstanding something?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well yes, but i was just testing the functionallity of the black button to see if it'll lock the doors. you see with the key outside, the button locks and then unlocks the doors. but with the key inside, the button doesn't do a thing but just chirps at you. it doesn't lock or unlock. i am really surprise to know how smart my mo is :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts