Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 Murano two weeks ago and was wondering, does anyone know if I could buy an intelligent key for it? I don't know if there is an after market one out there. Any info would help. Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
andrewdillon said:
I just bought an 04 Murano two weeks ago and was wondering, does anyone know if I could buy an intelligent key for it? I don't know if there is an after market one out there. Any info would help. Thanks
AD-

Are you looking to install the Intelligent Key system in a non-equipped MO, or are you simply looking to get an additional Intelligent key for your MO? The former option is virtually impossible; the latter simply requires a trip to your dealer's parts counter. They should be able to cut the hidden key and program the Intelligent Key fob.

-njjoe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for a key fob that has the remote entry and key all in one. Is there something like that, that will work with an 04 model?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
andrewdillon said:
I am looking for a key fob that has the remote entry and key all in one. Is there something like that, that will work with an 04 model?
AD-

If your MO does not have the factory-installed Intelligent Key it is virtually impossible to retrofit it, unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars to have the ignition changed, antennae installed, modules changed, etc.

There is no after-market product that mimics the Intelligent Key system that I am aware of.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
AD-

Sorry about that. Your opening post mentioned you were looking for an "intelligent key". I incorrectly assumed you were inquiring about Nissan's Intelligent Key system.

-njjoe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the confusion. you know how some of the new model cars have the key and remote all built in one? well, i'm looking for one that will lock/unlock my doors and with or with out the panic button. that way i don't have to carry both with me.

if the newer mo models' key is like that, then could i just purchase a blank key and have it cut?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
AD-

Ahhh. Now I understand.

I do not think that is feasible. The Murano's key has a chip built into it. This chip is read by the ignition switch. Without the chip your car will not run.

Your keys are "registered" to your MO. That is what makes them so damn expensive to replace. The days of going to the local hardware store to have a set of car keys cut for $5 are fading fast.

In order for your all-in-one key to work, it would have to contain the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System chip. I do not know if Nissan is sharing the chips with after-market key makers.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes you are talking about the intelligent key on the 05's and 06's, the 04's don't have that. The 03's and 04's have the old style key fob and key. The new intellignet key has a key tucked in the fob that can be used if the battery in the intelligent key fob dies. The intelligent key feature allows you to keep the fob in your pocket while you unlock the car and start it up, you never have to insert a key. It's not as simple as just the new fob and new key. There are several devices that will need to be installed for an intelligent key and fob to work. Some things are price prohibitive to install after the fact, this may or may not be one of them. As I said, check with the dealer.

Note: both the old style and new style keys still have the immobilizer chip built into them.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Enforcer-

After several back and forth posts, we were able to determine andrewdillon is not looking for the Nissan Intelligent Key, but rather a "smart" key that incorporates the key fob into the handle of the key. It looks like a standard key with an enlarged handle. The handle contains the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons.

-njjoe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, i am looking for a "smart key" for my mo. so the pic above is the "intelligent key"? that one will start the car via the fob, right?

now could i not buy that key fob above have the fob programmed to lock & unlock the doors, and then get key cut?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
andrewdillon said:
yes, i am looking for a "smart key" for my mo. so the pic above is the "intelligent key"? that one will start the car via the fob, right?

now could i not buy that key fob above have the fob programmed to lock & unlock the doors, and then get key cut?
On an intelligent key equipped car from the factory 05-06 MO yes. On your car no it won't start the car without a lot of modifications. The 05 and 06 intelligent key vehicles have a totally different ignition switch and the electronics to enable it. But you may get it to work if all the proper stuff is installed. Like I said, its not that simple, check with the dealer we don't have that answer here.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Here's a pic of the intelligent key ignition switch. You just keep the fob in your pocket and twist the ignition switch. There are electronics in the 05s and 06's to detect the presence of the intelligent fob. If the battery in the fob dies then you can stick the key in and start the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Here's a closeup of the intelligent key itself where the NVIS chip is installed. The older keys had NVIS, just not the intelligent function. NVIS is the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System. In other words, you can't just go get a blank key and have it made, the keys have a chip built into the handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
andrewdillon-

Is this what you are referring to?

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Just for a minute lets assume your just looking for a handy fob that holds a key but doesn't have the intelligent functions. You may be able to use an intelligent fob and key.

Assuming the NVIS chip in the new intelligent keys are the same as the old ones then the dealer could register an intelligent key with your 04 NVIS.

Assuming the intelligent fob uses the same keyless entry as the 03 and 04 then the dealer could register the intelligent fob with your 04. If that worked, then you could use the buttons on the intelligent fob for locking and unlocking the doors.

If the above assumptions are correct this would be cheaper then installing the intelligent key system. But, you will still have to take the key out of the fob to start your engine. Basically, it won't have any the benefits of the intelligent key system, the functionality would be just like your existing key and fob only the key gets stored in the handle.

But again, check with your dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so if they both use the same type of chip in the key, then it might be possible? when i talk to the people at the dealership, they don't seem to know any more than what's on their pamphlets in front of them. is there a "technical support" number where i could talk to someone with nissan who may actually know?

ya'll have been a great help and wanted to say thanks to all who've replied.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey njjoe, that's exactly what i'm looking for! and all i want it to do is lock/unlock the doors and if the panic alarm works, then great! if it didn't no big deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts