Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News from Detroit:

Akron, Ohio, Jan 10, 2005

The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (NYSE: GT) and Siemens VDO Automotive have teamed to create "Tire IQ," the most advanced tire information system to be developed.
A fully functional Tire IQ prototype system was featured on the Ford Shelby GR-1, a high-performance concept coupe, unveiled yesterday at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Mich.
"For the past 100 years, a vehicle's performance was based solely on the mechanical properties of tires," said Joe Gingo, Goodyear's Chief Technical Officer. "By extending the vehicle electronics to the tire with a system such as Tire IQ, we can now add an advanced level of performance monitoring and control."
A Tire IQ system consists of a passive sensor tag and miniature antenna permanently attached to the inside of each tire. A corresponding transceiver is mounted in each wheel well of the vehicle. When data is accessed through the Ford Shelby GR-1's on-board computer, the transceiver sends an energy signal that powers and operates the sensors in the battery-less tag.
Tire IQ collects and displays tire pressure and tire temperature data on a readout for the driver. In addition, sensors placed on the car body measure "g-force," to quantify cornering and braking performance. While the Ford Shelby GR-1 at the Detroit auto show features a fully functioning prototype Tire IQ system, the timing for first application of this technology as original equipment is for new vehicle platforms slated to start production in 2008.
"With a Tire IQ system, the tire can talk back and forth to the vehicle," added Gingo. "It will both send and memorize detailed information and uniquely utilize its memory functions to send and record key tire performance data to advanced vehicle control systems."
The Tire IQ system will be designed to fulfill the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Tread Act requirement for tire pressure monitoring. Tire pressure monitoring systems will be required on all vehicles made in North America beginning with the 2006 model year.
While Tire IQ may now seem like an extreme application of technology, Gingo pointed out that many features that are now standard started out the same way. "Current antilock braking, vehicle stability and roll over control systems were once seen as radical ideas," said Gingo. "Now many are standard."
"We believe the Ford Shelby GR-1 has the most advanced tire monitoring system developed to date," said Siemens VDO Automotive Body Chassis Electronics Chief Executive Officer Helmut Matschi. "This innovative solution allows the driver to easily monitor tire temperature and pressure through an intuitive, color display helping to enable much greater level of vehicle performance."
Further information about Goodyear products can be found at www.goodyear.com .
Goodyear is the world's largest tire company. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, the company manufactures tires, engineered rubber products and chemicals in more than 80 facilities in 28 countries. It has marketing operations in almost every country around the world. Goodyear employs about 85,000 people worldwide.
Siemens VDO Automotive is a tier-one supplier of automotive electronic/electrical systems and components with applications covering gasoline and diesel powertrain technologies, safety and chassis systems, body electronics, plus interior products including infotainment systems. For more information, visit www.usa.siemensvdo.com.

Ed Markey
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
330-796-8801
[email protected]

·
Registered
717 Posts
Is this an automotive application of RFID? It almost sounds like it with the battery less transmitter.

Pretty cool and defintely more useful than our current TPMS.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it sounds like that. I will try to contact some people in VDO and get more technical information on this interesting subject.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Neat, However I forsee a bunch more things to go wrong, that will just serve to annoy a lot of us, eg. :

1. Why is the temp on the right front tire different from the left (followed by a lot of speculation.)

2. How come when I turn right the forces aren't the same as when I turn left, (followed by a lot of speculation)

3. Do I have to to take special precautions when I rotate the tires.

4. My tread has worn out and I can find the tire I want with sensors in it.

5. My tread is not worn out and my sensor are bad.

IMO sometimes I think we should leave well enough alone, tire pressure is one thing but how far do we need to go?, bearing wear on the crank throws?

Lord know I love the toys, but even for me their is a point of diminishing return.

(Be that said, I am installing my true sine wave inverter as I write)

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GripperDon said:
Neat, However I forsee a bunch more things to go wrong, that will just serve to annoy a lot of us, eg. :

1. Why is the temp on the right front tire different from the left (followed by a lot of speculation.)

2. How come when I turn right the forces aren't the same as when I turn left, (followed by a lot of speculation)

3. Do I have to to take special precautions when I rotate the tires.

4. My tread has worn out and I can find the tire I want with sensors in it.

5. My tread is not worn out and my sensor are bad.

IMO sometimes I think we should leave well enough alone, tire pressure is one thing but how far do we need to go?, bearing wear on the crank throws?

Lord know I love the toys, but even for me their is a point of diminishing return.

(Be that said, I am installing my true sine wave inverter as I write)
Yes, I am wondering as well. But then again I just spoke with a friend of mine. He told be about similar technoilogy being used by Walmart and other companies.

And yes, we are getting crazy, we want to monitor EVERYTHING! Question is WHY? I do treasure my privacy.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Funny that you two are so skeptical about something like this. Think of the VDC package. Think of the anti-lock break system. Think of all the other dozens and dozens of "little things that could go wrong" that are currently a necessity on your vehicle today compared to what we had just a couple decades ago.

I would think the techno-junkies like you two (and pretty much any MO owner, I think) would look at this as the next cool safety/stability feature. After all, one of the big problems these days for automobiles are the tires. We have managed to make everything else relatively idiot-proof, with service warning lights coming on for oil change intervals, computers controlling our handling, smart AWD systems that automatically transfer power, etc. The tires have been primarily ignored. The manufacturing of the tires has had some amazing improvements, but as far as helping drivers monitor and take care of their tires there isn't much out there. TPMS is really the only thing. Oh, and run-flat tires, I suppose, which actually have been proven to cause more problems than they have solved because people don't realize that they have a flat.

This opens the door for a lot of benefits. Think of how many sensors the VDC has in the MO. Packages like this used to have ONE sensor. Now they can have dozens. And what better location for additional sensor input than in the tire? My god, think of the data that could provide to help the computer correct problems with stability!

Now, that said, of course I certainly don't want to be the first guinnea pig to try it, but I'm very interested to see what kind of data they can get reliably and how they will use that. What all can it help with? Cornering? Traction Control? Maintenance Monitoring? Parking (how close to the curb the wheels are)? Maybe even things like improving the accuracy of the speedometer for different sizes of tires, so no mater what tire size you choose to replace your OEMs with your speedometer would be accurate?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Corin,

yes, I am a techno junky! And yes, technology has made wonders. What warries me though is the possibility to abuse it - tracking!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Kris said:
Hi Corin,

yes, I am a techno junky! And yes, technology has made wonders. What warries me though is the possibility to abuse it - tracking!!!!
Well, yes, obviously. But we already have those concernes with all the things that are CURRENTLY in our vehicles, don't we? I mean, really, that's an entirely different battle. And one that I'm very concerned about, especially the way our government is going.

But to say "Well, I have 10 things in my vehicle that can be tracked right now, so I don't want to add the 11th one" is just silly.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
OK, I think the Info will be neat, I just also consider the bag of worms the poor dealers will have trying to answer all the fool questions that they will engender.

I am personally not against the answers, but hell you can't get people to read the owners manual much less a service manual, most will not even buy it, and it's only $20 for a great wealth of info, but then you would have to have folks willing to read it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts