Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but when I stopped to get gas, I turned off the car and pulled the key out of the ignition. My seat did not move back automatically like it usually does. (If you have preset the seat position, then it will move back automatically.) I didn't think much of it.

I closed the door to the car and pushed my credit card through the reader on the gas pump. Then I turn around and find that my gas door is locked. But then again, so is my driver's door! Luckily I removed my keys from the ignition. (It's a habit of mine.) I unlocked the doors and filled-up.

I then stopped at the supermarket. Again I removed the keys, but the seat didn't move back. I got out of the car and closed the door. I tried to open the door again but it was locked!

I then unlocked the car remotely and got back in. I tested the seat to make sure the preset was set. (It was.) Next, I unplugged my cell phone charger from the cigarette lighter that's near the glovebox. When I did this and took my keys out of the ignition, the seat moved back like it should!

I then got out of the car and closed the door and waited for 2 minutes. I walked-up to the door and, sure enough, the door wasn't locked!

I know, I know... completely unscientific. But I'm curious if others are experiencing this also? Is this the cause of what's locking people out of their cars?

Bob K.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
....and in doing so, locks our asses outside!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting to see if the doors would lock if the keys are still in the ignition switch?

Of course carry your extra key just in case.

·
Registered
777 Posts
They do lock with the keys in the ignition.

On my way home from work I stopped at our streets mail box which is about 4 houses down the street with motor running & headlights on & guess what. When I went to get back in my running MO I found myself locked out! :3: Talk about embarissing, at least at night with my windows tinted no one knew if I was just reading the mail. :D

At least it was a short walk to the house to key the other set of keys, needles to say I won't be doing that again!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't had this happen to be yet but I am taking no chances. I always open the drivers window all the way when I need to get out with the MO running.
Hope she doesn't close the window on me:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's very possible this is not an intentional attempt to protect your stuff, but rather an interference problem between your cell phone and the body control electronics. There is a radio receiver by the steering wheel, used to read the chip in the key. 'Desense' is a common problem around cell phones. They transmit sporadically as they communicate with cell sites (even when you are not talking). You might try this with the phone on, and again with it plugged in but turned off.

I was having wierd noises in my Pioneer CD head unit in my Typhoon... turned out I had the cell phone too close.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I picked up my 2004, the dealer disabled an "auto-lock" feature. He stated that we could adjust it to lock the doors after 5 or 10 minutes (or something like that). When I told him we have a one year old, he said disabling it would be the smarter move.

In any case, there is an "auto-lock" feature that can be disabled.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You (the dealer actually) can also set it for 1or 3 or 5 minutes delay (or no delay) which may be better for those who regualrly have to stop for the mail, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can be set using settings menu on the display screen on the 04. Not sure about 03.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Flip, the 04s have different software that provide the interface to these features being discussed. I don't know if it is possible to load 04 software on an 03. But to set the door lock modes on 03, like dk says, the dealer can do it.

On the 03s, there is one mode you can set that turns off the horn when you unlock (keyfob buttons see owners manual) and you can set the automatic seat retract (on display console see owners manual) if you have the memory seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did not see complete disable feature in 04

Since I have a toddler and infant, I too wanted to completely disable the auto lock feature in my '04. My settings only let me go to 5 minutes, and I could not find anything in the manual to completely disable. I'll be in the dealer next week for wheel locks, so I will ask then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The time for the doors to autolock for 2003 Murano's can be adjusted by the Dealer. The Dealer's Consult II computer must be connected to your MO to adjust the auto-lock function. See the table below for the option settings (this is out of the 2003 Murano Service Manual).

Note that there are other options that are settable as well. On my MO, for example, I had the Hazard and Horn Reminder set to option 4, so the MO would flash either once or twice when locking / unlocking the MO using the keyfob, but would not sound the horn. (BTW, my dealer was nice, and didn't charge me to do this)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enforcer thanks for the reply. So I am lost. Does the 03 have an AUTOLOCK feature that can be programmed by the dealer?

In otherwords, I would like my doors to lock automatically either by getting in, shifting to D and driving off (maybe lock after 15 MPH like my old Jeep, or once I place the shift to D?)

It appears the AUTOLOCK you guys are talking is an ELAPSED time type of lock? I still would be interested in this type of AUTOLOCK also.

So what do the 03's have? And how does the ELAPSED time type of AUTOLOCK work? Will it lock once you start the engine? Place into D? What starts the timer? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
time autolock feature is where if you unlock the door with your remote and if you do not open the door, after 1min. it will relock. Murano does not have autolock when engine is on...

·
Registered
719 Posts
time autolock feature is where if you unlock the door with your remote and if you do not open the door, after 1min. it will relock. Murano does not have autolock when engine is on...
Nor does any other Nissan or Infiniti product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we picked up our '03 MO a couple of weeks ago, the salesman showed us how to turn off the horn when you lock the car. It could be programed with the key fob.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts