Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe I read somewhere, either in this forum or in the manual that, if the key is inside the vehicle, the vehicle *cannot* be locked, as a prohibition against accidentally locking your keys in the car. Can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
SgtRich... Ever since I closed the driver's door at a FedEx kiosk in the middle of a busy bank parking lot and had the Murano lock itself with the engine running, do I ever, ever, ever leave the key in the ignition or inside the vehicle and close the door.
First time it happened was 2 weeks after delivery, also at a FedEx location (pattern emerging?) but luckily I had the sunroof open and the back windows partially down. At the time I thought I had done something until I heard about everyone else having the same problem. The dealer won't fix since they can't seem to ever duplicate problem. Do a search for locks on the forum. Doesn't matter what the manual says.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
SgtRich said:
I may be mistaken but I believe I read somewhere, either in this forum or in the manual that, if the key is inside the vehicle, the vehicle *cannot* be locked, as a prohibition against accidentally locking your keys in the car. Can anybody verify this?

I don't think this is true as I know for sure that while you are in the car with the keys and fob you can press the electronic door locks and all doors lock.

The only time the doors "unlock" themselves if the MO is in Park (with engine running??) and the electronic door lock is pressed the MO will not allow doors to be locked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only time the doors "unlock" themselves if the MO is in Park (with engine running??) and the electronic door lock is pressed the MO will not allow doors to be locked.
That's what I was referring to, Gonzo. That's what I had read.

On my '05 MO, I have the Intelligent Key option, so as long as I have the fob on my person (and I always do, as I don't need a key to turn the ignition and start the vehicle), I can't lock myself out.

midnitexpress, you probably have it right. That sucks that it's that easy to lock yourself out of your MO!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The doors cannot be locked when the drivers door is open and the key is in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The chip in the key (for 03 and 04) has nothing to do with the door locks. The chip is RF activated and its only purpose is to enable the computer to start the car.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Most likely some gremlins in your drivers door wiring harness. Early run Murano's had this issue and there is actually a TSB for it.

Little mysteries like this is what makes owning a car interesting. Yes annoying, but it makes for interesting stories (or at least a reason to post) on the message board. :p

Keep posting your observations. Someone will come up with a clever explaination I am sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts