Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 13-year old son and I were shopping for an SUV (2004 model) we took along a portable digital sound meter. We wanted a quiet vehicle as we like to listen to jazz and blues on road trips. My young "assistant" recorded interior sound levels in several vehicles at 30 mph and 60 mph in approximatley the same road surface and traffic conditions - the car salesmen really got a kick out of this. The following is a list of the results from the most quiet to the noisiest.

Mitsubishi Endeavor (v6)
Murano (SL)
Lexus 330 (v6)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (v8)
Toyota 4-Runner (v6)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (v8)
BMW x-5 (v6)

Although the Endeavor was nice and quiet inside it had so many other weaknesses it was not even in contention. And of course the Lexus is way too much money for what you get. We are now happy Murano owners (SL, silver, premium package, sunroof). The 7-speaker bose stereo system is so sweet I dont think I will attempt to upgrade the speakers (as I have in other vehicles).

Regards,

Tom Morrison

:cool:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tom

Cool story. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the post. I test drove the lexus, 4runner, and x5 before the Mo and felt the same about the noise level. Good to have scientific data. Love my MO.

·
Registered
265 Posts
:27: Hmm I wonder if that tool could be used to locate where the noise are coming from? How does one of those puppies cost and where did you get it from?

·
5,268 Posts
Why don't you post the numbers? It would be interesting to see what are the differences between all of them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Radio Shack sells them, really nice one will run you $50. I use mine way more often than I ever thought I would, especially with all the home theaters friends and relatives have been putting in lately.

·
5,268 Posts
Interesting, and I thought I would not play with this type measurement instruments anymore.........

dklanecky,

the one from Rado Shack for $49.95 looks really nice.......it does not have the FFT capabilities but for our needs it definitely will suffice.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, we did indeed use the noise meter from Radio Shack. It performs as well as much more expensive units according to research I did before purchasing it*. I went with the digital versus analogue model and I believe I did pay about $50.

Sorry that I can't provide the actual measurement results for each vehicle - we threw out the data sheets (okay they were only slips of paper we happened to have at the time). I remember the results ranged from 60 to 72 decibels at speed. The Murano usually purrs along at less then 63 dB - unless you open the rear windows over 40 mph then look out - lol.

But I will give some advice for anyone trying this. Instead of driving along looking for a stable average value as we did, take a series of readings and then average them later - and remove any anomolous readings (e.g., a semi truck goes by or someone sneezes - lol).

* I actually own it becuase part of my job (environmental scientist) involves recording ambient sound levels in the vicinity of bald eagle nesting sites.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Truly recomend you upgrade the tweeters at the very least. After a while I noticed I was starting to get listening fatique from the bose speaker I upgraded to some infinity door drivers and obile audio tweeters what a difference the Bose door speakers literally have no magnet it is a farce for a "high end system"

I listen to jaz too and I am enjoying it again now I can hear the cymbles again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts