Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have a question for you all. What do you all think about the wood trim kits? I was thinking I would like to put it in a few areas (like on the door door handle surrounds) I definately don't want to change the aluminum. The only reason I ask this is that my only pet-peeve about the MOs interior is (at least with the black int) it seems a little stark. I have never used one of those kits before and not sure what to expect. Would it be too much... wood AND aluminum? Any comments, pics, etc???

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See this thread.

Dash kits are easy to install...you get alcohol wipes to wipe everything down then peel and stick. But be careful. Once you stick it, you probably won't get it off without damage to the dash kit. And I'm thinking if you apply it to the aluminum trim in the MO, it may pull the aluminum trim right off too. The key is to test fit first thoroughly before pulling the backing off and sticking. Figure out guide points to get it centered well first.

I installed a brush aluminum dash kit to my Z and then took it off later. It looked great, but you could tell it was stuck on/aftermarket. My father installed a wood one in his Dodge PU and it also looks stuck on/aftermarket. I've decided I like the stock look better on my Z but the wood dash kit better in his PU. A lot depends on the interior itself and I know what you mean by applying it only in certain places. I guess what I dislike the most about them is the edges and thickness. If the edges were finished differently and it was thinner so it didn't have that "stuck-on" thick mold line look then I would like it better.

But with that said, I like the way dtwalkerfl's GP and CL looks with the wood dash kit. I also like the gold badging. Those mods make it look unique and "rich". Makes me think the wood trim would also look good with the Cabernet. But I'm no color coordinator!

Good luck, let us know what you decide and post pics if you do!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing, I really don't want it to look "stuck on". I'll have to think about it. Like I said, I definately wouldn't cover the aluminum, I just would like to get rid of some of the black plastic. Have you ever heard of door handle replacements? I hate the plastic ones in the murano, I really would like them to be chrome.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ayroque said:
Have you ever heard of door handle replacements? I hate the plastic ones in the murano, I really would like them to be chrome.
No, but at one time I was dreaming about getting into aluminum casting with preheated clay molds. Would come in handy on a lot of stuff. Around here they can only do sand castings and they told me they couldn't cast small details.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:27:what about chrome plating them?:14: Oh, the plastic would melt, huh?:bonk:...hmm? well, there's always chrome paint :16: (okay, having way too much fun with the smilies...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...you're scaring me

COOL!!! Thanks, I'm going to have to look into. It probably costs like a million dollars though. :blingblin

·
Registered
443 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with respect to wood in your car. Many of these kits are just fake wood grain (as in many OEM setups). While using real wood in your car may seem like the luxurious way to go, it is actually a very bad idea. Unlike aluminum or plastic, wood can splinter in an accident and cause injury. Just something else to keep in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts