Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Murano SL AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an '05 MO SL AWD with 133k on the clock. I have an intermittent grinding sound that seems to be coming from the front driver's side wheel area. Sounds like rebar being dragged across pavement. It really only occurs if the engine is under load, and the noise ceases when letting off of the gas. If we weren't in the middle of a snowstorm right now, I'd be checking the brakes, wheel bearings, and CV axles. Leaning toward CV right now. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what may be the cause of the sound? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
That's not typical for a CV joint, clicking is more normal. Could be a hub - does it get louder as it gains speed?

Brakes are worth checking, and in case of a motor mount, you might visually check the engine for movement with someone holding the brakes and giving it some shots of gas.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Also check your CVT air scoop. It can get bent upward and contact driveline components in that area. I had to pry mine downward due to a similar noise that occurred at parking lot speeds.

·
Registered
2005 Murano SL AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't noticed whether or not it gets louder with speed, just that it's there. I'll still be checking the hubs, though. I'll also check the scoop, but seeing as the noise is present at highway speeds, I doubt that's the culprit. Hopefully the snow is done so I can get under the car tomorrow. It needs an oil change, and I get to replace the oil cooler seal while I'm at it.

Tell you what, the one good thing about this quarantine stuff is I've had time to work on my vehicles. The Jeep got a new thermostat and water pump yesterday, and my old F-150 got new ball joints, tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, rotors, pads, and wheel studs on Monday/Tuesday. Now it's the MO's turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts