Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Murano has had it's first problem. I've noticed during the last couple of weeks that I occasionally get a "DISK ERROR" message on my nav screen at startup. Seems to be getting more frequent now.

Originally thought it was related possibly to excess humidity as the first couple of times it happened were really wet humid days and the Mo had been sitting in the garage all night long. Seemed like after the Mo sat out in the sun of the day (at work), everything was working properly on the way home.

I'm now on my second straight morning (yesterday and today) where the nav failed to work at all on the way to work in the morning. I've done all the normal things, removed, checked and re inserted the DVD, to no avail. It did work on the way home last night again.

The SM gives a diagnostic routine but I'm too busy to run them in the evenings.

Got an appointment with the dealer for Friday, we'll see what happens.

Anybody else experience anything like this yet??

Hey, I know, I just won't go to work.

Clearly the Nav doesn't want me to either!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. It happened when I was on my way to get my SAT stuff installed in south Florida. I removed and reinserted the disk several times and even had it cleaned to try to get rid of any scratches, but nothing worked. I was on my way to the dealership to make an appointment to get it fixed, and it suddenly started working again. The only thing I can think of that I did was enter the diagnostic mode for the head unit (hold MUTE button down and turn volume knob, I think). I accessed various sections of the diagnostic screen, not really knowing what I was doing, and then exited the diagnostic mode. I had turned off the NAV display screen, and I didn't activate it again until I was on my way to the dealership, so I can't say for sure that this action made a difference, but I can't think of anything else that would have caused the NAV system to start working again. :confused:

Jeff

·
4,664 Posts
Hmmm.... Dusty? Failing laser?

I had a problem with my Nav system, when I lost the page I needed and had to look it up again. Also, I find the voice system isn't always there and when she is, she often inserts superfluous comments. She also sounds like the same system that tells me to take out the garbage.

Wish I could have gotten the Nissan NAV on an SL here...:( ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rival: How do you like your NAV system? I see you are in the Pittsburgh area. I am as well. I have a PF with the old CD based NAV system and am going to get a Murano very soon. I have a loaded SL silver on order from Mcminn, but I saw a blue one today and really liked it. Let me know how you like yours. What dealer did you get it from?>

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the Nav system. My mom has the cd based nav in her '02 Maxima and I understand the deficiencies you are talking about. The dvd based system covers the entire United States and Canada. The new nav is awesome, I would recommend it 100%.

Where are you at in Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am east of the city...Cheswick area...what about you? What dealer did you get your MO from? I am dealing with Mcminn...They located an SL Blue loaded MO for me...Hopefully they can work out a dealer trade for it....What color MO do you have? Have you done any modifications to it?

·
Registered
466 Posts
What color did you get? Do you have an SL or SE?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not "completely" fixed yet.

The dealer told me they had to order an update DVD. Took them two weeks to get it. I sat with the tech while he did the test and update.

When we ran the diagnostics, it gave the same error and it also keeps track of the "errors and frequency". Mine said "DVD Rom error, 52 times". Pretty cool to be able to have Mo verify what I'm tellin them is happening. It's also very easy to enter the diagnostic mode. Engine running and radio off (with a view to the sky) press and hold the pause button and turn the volume control left and right for a few turns and it'll enter the diagnostic mode.

They flashed (updated?) the program (with the new DVD) and everything was working perfectly for the next week. Problem solved, not so fast!

The exact same issue re surfaced Monday, and continued through Friday this week only this time it never would work, at any time.

I called the dealer and they've ordered a new player as that's what Nissan told them was the next step.

Interesting enough, I had a 500 mile freeway trip yesterday by myself and I have become pretty adept and removing and re-inserting the DVD at any speed.

After about the 10th time, while it was out of the slot, I (admittedly in frustratation) grabbed the front of the player and just "beat on it a bit. Re inserted the DVD and everything worked fine for the rest of the 400 miles.

I'll report back as soon as the new DVD player arrives and is installed.

It's really a little sad that this is the only issue with this vehicle and man do I love cruising with the XM and the Bose out on the highway.

Kick it over into Ds for a few passing runs and I'm not sure how much better of a road trip vehicle you could come up with.:2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts