Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have relocated and lost my cable and cable modem…………….Now my options are limited: dial up (no way I would go back in time!) or satellite. I have heard the sattelite access has some problems. Anybody out there using Sattelite Internet links? Any problems, issues etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kris said:
I have relocated and lost my cable and cable modem…………….Now my options are limited: dial up (no way I would go back in time!) or satellite. I have heard the sattelite access has some problems. Anybody out there using Sattelite Internet links? Any problems, issues etc.

Thanks
Your main problem is going to be latency. If you don't do anything time-sensitive (such as playing multiplayer games online) then you probably won't notice much of a problem. It's definately better than dial-up.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Originally posted by Kris I have relocated and lost my cable and cable modem……………
How about DSL? Probably cheaper than cable or Satellite (more competition), but if it is not available then Satellite is good. I think with a satellite you still use a dial up connection for upload...

·
4,601 Posts
That would be interesting if you still had decent access to the local CO to run DSL, yet didn't have cable access...

Satellite will never give you the bandwidth of a good cable or dsl system... Too bad! Maybe you need to suggest to them you'll be a trial run for them to extend their service?

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

no, there is no cable. I have checked with Bell South and AT&T and they do not provide DSL. Funny as this is new subdivision, only 2-3 years old and one would think such things like cable and DSL would be "standard". I will most likely end up with sattelite.

Have a great weekend

At least i can watch the Montreal F1 race! No Murano.rog though.....

S

·
0 Posts
Good luck, man. I don't think I could ever go back to dial up unless I really had to. We were lucky enough to have high speed internet while we were in Iraq for a year even though the connection was shared with everyone and their mother, it was still faster than dial up.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I have cable, only because I have no other choice. DSL availability is a function of how far away from the CO (Central Office) you are, and in my case, I am just 50 feet away too much! My neighbors accross the street have DSL, but I can't have it until the phone company installs new equipment....in 2008! So I am paying $45/month for cable Internet access when my neighbor just got his for $14.95/month.....:3:

S

·
0 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Don't feel too bad. I have cable, only because I have no other choice. DSL availability is a function of how far away from the CO (Central Office) you are, and in my case, I am just 50 feet away too much! My neighbors accross the street have DSL, but I can't have it until the phone company installs new equipment....in 2008! So I am paying $45/month for cable Internet access when my neighbor just got his for $14.95/month.....:3:
Wow! I guess I got a pretty good deal here in Washington with Comcast. For the cable modem box rental, cable modem service, digital cable box rental, and digital cable service + HBO I was paying $44.95 (although $14.95 just for internet does sound pretty good!!). It's always nice to have a back up dial up service provider just in case of anything (haven't had any problems yet), or logging on with my cell phone or pocket PC via infrared/bluetooth dialup connection.

Have you heard of Sanswire One? http://www.sanswire.com/stratellites.htm - if they are able to get this FAA approved and up and running it would be great for everyone, especially for you, and being in the area that you're in, to be able to get hispeed internet through this stratellite.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
SGT said:
Wow! I guess I got a pretty good deal here in Washington with Comcast. For the cable modem box rental, cable modem service, digital cable box rental, and digital cable service + HBO I was paying $44.95 (although $14.95 just for internet does sound pretty good!!)....Have you heard of Sanswire One? http://www.sanswire.com/stratellites.htm - if they are able to get this FAA approved and up and running it would be great for everyone, especially for you, and being in the area that you're in, to be able to get hispeed internet through this stratellite.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out.
BTW, I have comcast too. My monthly cable bill is:

Internet access = $45
Analog Cable - Expanded basic with no premium channels = $46

Total = $91 per month.........:3:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Re: Internet access

zebelkhan said:
I think with a satellite you still use a dial up connection for upload...
This used to be the case but not anymore. The major satellite providers (like DirecWay) don't require dial-up for upload anymore.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hm, it seems that it is going to be expensive exercise:

DIRECWAY broadband is available with 3 payment plans:

a) Pay $0.00 money down and pay $99.99 per month. Monthly fee reverts to $59.99 after 15 months.

b) Pay $59.99 as down payment and get $100 rebate. Monthly fee reverts to $59.99 after 15 months.

c) Pay $499.97 (after $100 rebate) and pay $59.99 per month.

I am debating dial up now.......maybe this is not such a bad option. The sattelite seems to be expensive.....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Unless you download a lot, get Netzero, or one with accelerator. That may work for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out.
BTW, I have comcast too. My monthly cable bill is:

Internet access = $45
Analog Cable - Expanded basic with no premium channels = $46

Total = $91 per month.........:3:
I have a local Time Warner cable company:
Digital cable with sports pack: $56.76
DVR service: $6.95
2 Dig Converter boxes mthly charge: $15.98 (totally bogus charges!)
RoadRunner high-speed: $39.95

On top of that I have a digital phone line with them for $39.95 (so can't even use dial up if I needed a backup).

About $175/mth after taxes. It was super cheap when I first signed on because of all the discounts, but they all ran out after six months... :1pat:

·
4,601 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Don't feel too bad. I have cable, only because I have no other choice. DSL availability is a function of how far away from the CO (Central Office) you are, and in my case, I am just 50 feet away too much! My neighbors accross the street have DSL, but I can't have it until the phone company installs new equipment....in 2008!
The only downside to that is DSL gets slower, the farther from the CO. So even if they manage to squeak you in, you may not get steller speeds... More wire, more distributed capacitance and inductance, less bandwidth, less speed.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to my next door neighbor. He has Bell South DSL! And when I called them a few days ago they said they did not service this area. Not even local or long-distance calls. Oh and the person was very rude and hang up on me. So I ended up with AT&T for phone service. I guess I need to call them back and ask again.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Kris said:
Talked to my next door neighbor. He has Bell South DSL! And when I called them a few days ago they said they did not service this area. Not even local or long-distance calls. Oh and the person was very rude and hang up on me. So I ended up with AT&T for phone service. I guess I need to call them back and ask again.
That happened to me once, with a different company though. Later I found out I had dialed a wrong number and the person on the other end had received so many simillar wrong calls that they had a rude and mean script on how to answer them..... :mad:

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are back in business! Just had my DSL installed. I have opted for 1.5MB which is a litte slower that my previous cable though still gave me 170kB/s during 100MB download. It is enough for me. I could always upgrade to 3MB which would be quicker than my cable modem.

Oh, and is not “real” DSL. Actually a fiber optic cable is terminated approximately 100 feet from my house and what I get is a network connection! The cable is connected straight to my router and then to the computer. I am quite happy now. Time to spend more time on Murano.org!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Interesting description of your service. I've been in an email exchange this week with Verizon about getting FiOS. Apparently they've rolled out fibre to the home in less than a dozen communities nationwide, including mine. They offer 5, 15, and **30** megabit service to the home, AND they offer tv and On Demand video over the same fibre. They'll run fibre to my demarc box and connect my phone lines, tv coax, and a CAT5e run to this new connection for Internet.

I can't wait to get Comcast OUT of here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts