Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know there are some threads that address similar issues about phone integration but I didn't see anything exactly like what I am experiencing. The center console usb, which is usb1 on the source list does not work with my iPhone XS. I am using Apple cords. It will not even charge the phone, nada, nothing. it it like there is nothing plugged into the USB port. I have tried other devices and the dealer tried an iPad and android phone. The USB port does acknowledge those devices. It just seems to be my phone. My phone will work through the USB port that's located on the rear of the console for rear passengers or USB2 on source display. It just won't on USB1. The dealer is ordering a new USB port and do some research but we all seem to be at a loss at the moment. Apple will run diagnostics etc, in case it's a firmware issue but I held off since it does work on USB2. If anyone has any ideas or experienced anything like this I'd be interested to hear.

2016 SL w Tech/Nav

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried a different cord? Not absolutely sure it would do anything since it seems to work on the other port but it’s one of those pesky test steps apple would go through. And the usual other apple “fix” tests (rebooting the device, making sure you have the latest iOS). Also, if you know someone else with the same XS have them try theirs. If theirs works using your cord then it’s fair to say it’s a weird quirk with your specific phone but if it doesn’t then it sounds like an issue with the xs models (not a stretch...there were issues with the xs and xs Max working with numerous items that worked perfectly fine with the X and X Max until some quiet update seemed to magically fix the issue. Experienced it with a charging dock where it actually worked at first but only briefly...stopped working for several months and being told by the manufacturer and Apple that the dock wasn’t compatible only to test it months later and suddenly it was working (and still does. Many on the brands forums reported the same thing). As far as the USB ports in the Murano...I haven’t had an issue with the front one in my ‘19 but I’m not sure if it’s in the same location as yours (mine is on the dash under the climate controls/next to the push start button. Haven’t checked the rear one on the back of the center console

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did all the usual rebooting of phone and multiple cords. The only thing I didn’t do was try another XS. I’m new where I am and don’t know many people but that’s definitely a good idea. I should be able to stop in at ATT and get someone to try it for me.

I’ll post back any results

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New port installed today. Still will not recognize my iPhone XS. It will recognize the techs iPhone 8. I’ve not found anyone with and XS to try yet. Apple engineers are looking into possible software issue. My phone works everywhere else including my other car. Just not this one USB port. It’s perplexing. Dealer is nice and the port does work so.... we’ll see what happens or doesn’t. I’m not to upset because that compartment is useless anyway except for loose change, but I do like things to work the way they should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 Murano and I am having the same issue. I have an appointment at the Nissan dealership to see if they can find the answer. I have all apple cords and the back USB port works great. I was hoping you guys had the answer. One of the service people today seems to think it’s not just the port but the wiring into the radio. Thank goodness the back port works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going today for an update to the radio unit but it was an update put out in 2016 that was just never done. I am not expecting it to make any difference but I will post the results either way. Apple helped a lot and between them and the mechanic at the dealer I know what the issue is. The center console USB port is shared with an aux port. They split the power coming from the radio unit. Newer iPhones demand greater power from the USB ports. This split port doesn't have enough juice to charge a newer iPhone. That is why it works in the rear USB port, its power isn't split. The only thing I can think of to remedy this is to install a dedicated USB only in the center port. I'm going to check to see if anything is different on a 19

It got to the point where it was really bugging me that it remained a mystery but honestly it's a pretty useless port and the nissan connect apps are pretty useless too. If I need to charge my phone it can be done through the 12volt inside the center storage with one of those plug in converters.

I will update when I get back from the dealer after the head unit update.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am going today for an update to the radio unit but it was an update put out in 2016 that was just never done. I am not expecting it to make any difference but I will post the results either way. Apple helped a lot and between them and the mechanic at the dealer I know what the issue is. The center console USB port is shared with an aux port. They split the power coming from the radio unit. Newer iPhones demand greater power from the USB ports. This split port doesn't have enough juice to charge a newer iPhone. That is why it works in the rear USB port, its power isn't split. The only thing I can think of to remedy this is to install a dedicated USB only in the center port. I'm going to check to see if anything is different on a 19

It got to the point where it was really bugging me that it remained a mystery but honestly it's a pretty useless port and the nissan connect apps are pretty useless too. If I need to charge my phone it can be done through the 12volt inside the center storage with one of those plug in converters.

I will update when I get back from the dealer after the head unit update.....
That’s odd. I have an iPhone XS Max and my phone has no problem charging (I have a 2019 SV and have the aux port, USB 1 (which is a usb c port) and USB 2 (regular usb) in the same area you mentioned as well as another USB port behind the center console/armrest for rear passenger. Unless the 19 doesn’t split the power coming from the radio like they told you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just left Nissan and they are saying the whole radio unit has to be replaced. However, now my back usb is not working. I bought my car at CarMax so I have an extended warranty. It only has 25,000 miles but 3800+ to replace radio. I told CarMax that I wanted no after market products. Help....what is your advice. I drive my car across 8 States. So this is important to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just left Nissan and they are saying the whole radio unit has to be replaced. However, now my back usb is not working. I bought my car at CarMax so I have an extended warranty. It only has 25,000 miles but 3800+ to replace radio. I told CarMax that I wanted no after market products. Help....what is your advice. I drive my car across 8 States. So this is important to me.

If it needs to be replaced (had to have mine in my 2018 Rogue replaced after only 8 months but I bought it new and was covered under manufacturer warranty)...and the extended warranty you have with CarMax covers the radio then have it replaced. Should replace it with the OEM since that’s what was in the car when you bought it but it depends on the terms of their warranty. Is your manufacturer warranty expired? I’m assuming it must be if the Nissan service Dept didn’t or won’t replace it without the charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is out of warranty and just out. I have not had the car a month yet. I love it and I am ready to fight to get it replaced with OEM. I use the USB ports constantly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: Radio head unit update at Nissan solved the problem! Much to my surprise it worked. Whatever the update was, from late 2016, it now charges. Re: the above commenter who has a 2019 I don't know how exactly it is split between the USBC and the USB but the head unit is different/updated to accommodate apple play, so its more likely to work.

For the person who purchased at CarMax, maybe the should send it Nissan first

·
Registered
36 Posts
UPDATE: Radio head unit update at Nissan solved the problem! Much to my surprise it worked. Whatever the update was, from late 2016, it now charges. Re: the above commenter who has a 2019 I don't know how exactly it is split between the USBC and the USB but the head unit is different/updated to accommodate apple play, so its more likely to work.

I guess I assumed your headunit also accommodated Apple CarPlay. Glad they were able to fix it for you. As for the person with the car from CarMax I think they said that they took the car to Nissan to find out what was wrong so ultimately the issue is if CarMax extended warranty will pay for the $3800 OEM replacement or not since their manufacturer warranty has expired.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some Nissan dealerships aren’t as knowledgeable and/or willing to take the time to fully investigate an issue, and the default is replace head unit for 3K. Now it’s quite possible that yours does need replacing but I’m just going to share a story from my 2010. It had the issue where the knob wouldn’t properly control the volume or station search. If you turned the volume down it might go up, down or blast you out of the car. Dealer wanted to replace complete unit. Selling dealer found you can just replace the control panel with all the buttons and knobs to solve the issue. $200 vs 3K.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I asked the guy at Nissan if he could tell if it had been updated. I got the impression that he thought I had no clue what I was talking about. I will be back at Nissan and CarMax to find out if it actually had the update and to see why my back USB stopped working after they did their diagnostic test on it. I am hoping that it just needs the update.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some Nissan dealerships aren’t as knowledgeable and/or willing to take the time to fully investigate an issue, and the default is replace head unit for 3K. Now it’s quite possible that yours does need replacing but I’m just going to share a story from my 2010. It had the issue where the knob wouldn’t properly control the volume or station search. If you turned the volume down it might go up, down or blast you out of the car. Dealer wanted to replace complete unit. Selling dealer found you can just replace the control panel with all the buttons and knobs to solve the issue. $200 vs 3K.
I think the dealers in a 100 mile radius around me are the complete opposite lol. They rather do the cheapest fix possible rather than replace the whole thing....especially if they know you have a warranty of any type. Now if you’re a cash customer it’s completely different. They will find issues you didn’t even come in about lol. When the radio messed up in my 2018 Rogue they spent all day trying everything under the son to get around accepting the unit needed to be replaced before they finally conceded and made sure they kept mentioning the $4700 price tag (allegedly their main issue was that Nissan takes months to reimburse them for warranty repairs). Don’t know how true that is but it wasn’t my problem

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the dealers in a 100 mile radius around me are the complete opposite lol. They rather do the cheapest fix possible rather than replace the whole thing....especially if they know you have a warranty of any type. Now if you’re a cash customer it’s completely different. They will find issues you didn’t even come in about lol. When the radio messed up in my 2018 Rogue they spent all day trying everything under the son to get around accepting the unit needed to be replaced before they finally conceded and made sure they kept mentioning the $4700 price tag (allegedly their main issue was that Nissan takes months to reimburse them for warranty repairs). Don’t know how true that is but it wasn’t my problem

It's in everyone's interest for them to fully investigate the issue before replacing components. The head units are ridiculously expensive. Most dealers will do a complimentary inspection of the vehicle while it's there and often find things that need attention, it is not uncommon. You are entitled to ask to see the failed part, dirty filter, etc and I would do so. If you feel the dealer is not trustworthy of your business then you should go elsewhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I asked the guy at Nissan if he could tell if it had been updated. I got the impression that he thought I had no clue what I was talking about. I will be back at Nissan and CarMax to find out if it actually had the update and to see why my back USB stopped working after they did their diagnostic test on it. I am hoping that it just needs the update.

Good luck. The shop Forman must have looked in the database to find the update because like I said, it was an update put out in 2016.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I assumed your headunit also accommodated Apple CarPlay. Glad they were able to fix it for you. As for the person with the car from CarMax I think they said that they took the car to Nissan to find out what was wrong so ultimately the issue is if CarMax extended warranty will pay for the $3800 OEM replacement or not since their manufacturer warranty has expired.
No CarPlay :(. Honestly I kind of forgot to look for it when upgrading by 2010, but I had no issues with the in-car navigation in that one so hopefully I won't in the 2016. Everything else can be streamed. I have CarPlay in my other vehicle that doesn't have built in nav and I really like it for that reason. It's nice that it's integrated with music, which is my most used app.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
3 Participants
Michael Martin
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing