Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance (and yes I did search first) but I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a 2004 Murano and just got an iPod for Christmas. I have the car kit which allow you to use a cassette tape connected to your iPod to play through your stereo.

When I tried it yesterday, I inserted the cassette. The system tried to read side 1 of the cassettte, found nothing, flipped to side 2, found nothing, and then ejected the tape. I had the iPod on and music playing.

It's almost as if the stereo is just too smart for the cassette trick. I want decent quality sound so I was hoping for this option instead of the FM trick.

My husband has a 2004 Nissan Titan and it has an Auxiliary jack. Just plug and go with awesome sound :(

Any help or suggestions out there?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why a vehicle in this price range doesn't have an aux jack I don't understand, I would like to know an easy way to ipod also.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Before I added the PAC unit I had to try 3 different cassette adapters to get one that would work, The SLK was just as bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Screw that.....just get the Griffin Technology iTrip. $30. Works awesome in the MO, I used mine yesterday. There are actually some good package deals on ebay for iPod accessories. The Griffin stuff is pretty good, the Belkin....eh.

I bought all mine individually, but here is the package deal on ebay, they are all over ebay. Just check for best pricing and shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67838&item=5740883710&rd=1

·
4,994 Posts
In rank of quality of sound

PAC (Really Good) (cross talk to other Aux in so don't have both on at once)

Cassette Recorder (not too bad really )

FM Modulator ( tried two Both mediocre)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used a cassette adaptor for a while with my XM Roady and it worked fine (with the Bose system). The problem with them is that even the ones that work will eventually wear out.

I added the PAC Audio unit and have noticed only a little improvement in sound quality...but of course, the unit gives you a lot of flexibility. I was fairly unimpressed with the build quality of the unit, though, and the installation instructions are a joke (thank God for this site).

·
4,994 Posts
I have to agree about the build qwuality, I thought the cross talk between inputs was a cheapo move a simple DTDP relay would have done the job and made a better unit. Gotta have the buck tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now I have checked out the PAC and the Griffin iTrip. Griffin installation looks much easier but really my biggest concern is sound quality.

My sister has a FM transmitter and told me she lost her signal in the mountains? (i.e. sound quality got very staticky).

The Bose stereo has such good sound it seems such a shame to lose some of the quality.

So what does the PAC do? Does it give you an auxiliary jack? And if so, where is it?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
If you have OEM satellite, PAC audio will not work for you. If you do not, PAC audio plugs right into the back of the radio in its place and gives you two auxilary inputs (on the unit itself) which you can connect to any two devices you like. I have my carputer connected to one and the other is open for my daugther to connect her ipod to when she wants to share her music. The SAT button on the radio now becomes the control button and you access both chanalls thru the A-B-C button. Except there is no "c" as PAC audio has only two auxilury inputs.

It takes a bit of time and care to install, but once in you are set. It took me 20 minutes to take the radio out, plug the PAC in and put everything back together.

·
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay - sounds reasonable and like it would give me the result I want. But take the radio out and put it back in? Yikes! I guess that's just me being a girl.

So I looked at the autotoys.com link and have heard people mention PAC on ebay. Any recommendations on brands for such an auxiliary device?

P.S. I do NOT have satellite radio installed so this should work for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PAC is the brand. It stands for Pacific Accessory Corporation. You're looking for the AAI-NIS (Auxilliary Audio Input -Nissan).

You can find them on eBay or, more reliably, a couple of guys on this board sell them at discounts to forum members. That's how I got mine.

Hey Grip - do you know if they changed the way the vent cover clips into the dash at the top for 2005? I tried following Jaak's directions for removing the cover, but it would only unclip at the bottom. It seemed as though it was hinged at the top and would not release. It did swing up on the hinges, though, to let me get at the screws for the radio.

I tried the iTrip. The audio was very clear, but it sounded very compressed. I'm no audiophile, but it sounded like clear crap. The PAC is the way to go.

I'm thinking I might try the Dension Ice-Link Auxilliary hookup into the PAC to get power to the iPod and auto turn on/off. Waste-o-money?

·
4,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
saito said:
Hey Grip - do you know if they changed the way the vent cover clips into the dash at the top for 2005? I tried following Jaak's directions for removing the cover, but it would only unclip at the bottom. It seemed as though it was hinged at the top and would not release. It did swing up on the hinges, though, to let me get at the screws for the radio.
I have a 04 and the first time I tried to take the vent cover off was very difficult (just the way you described it) but it did finally come out. The second and third and ... times however was a snap. Almost no force required.

·
4,994 Posts
Saito Went and looked a the manual. It's still the same as 04.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The manual. Wow. It never occured to me the manual might have useful info in it. Sorry for asking something that had such an easy answer.

I saw Jaak's very helpful post on removing the cover, and when it wouldn't come off easily, I assumed they changed it rather than risk breaking it.

The AAI-NIS sounds awesome plugged into the headphone jack on the iPod. My Ice-Link Aux connector will be here tomorrow. That will give me a connection through the docking port and the auto on/off. I'll post pics if anybody cares. I'll have to pull the radio out again to hook it up, so I'll put a little more umph into getting the cover off.

The manual. (sound of hand smacking forehead). Thanks Grip.

·
4,994 Posts
Don't feel bad I am just fortunate to have both years of manuals so I could compare the pages.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
fadra44 said:
Forgive my ignorance (and yes I did search first) but I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a 2004 Murano and just got an iPod for Christmas. I have the car kit which allow you to use a cassette tape connected to your iPod to play through your stereo.

When I tried it yesterday, I inserted the cassette. The system tried to read side 1 of the cassettte, found nothing, flipped to side 2, found nothing, and then ejected the tape. I had the iPod on and music playing.

It's almost as if the stereo is just too smart for the cassette trick. I want decent quality sound so I was hoping for this option instead of the FM trick.

My husband has a 2004 Nissan Titan and it has an Auxiliary jack. Just plug and go with awesome sound :(

Any help or suggestions out there?

I concur with the consensus here that the PAC adapter is the way to go if you want a direct high quality connection. However, your cassette adapter should work. A couple thoughts:

1) First, we need to find out whether the adapter or your cassette player is defective. Does it play normal cassettes?

2) If a normal cassette works, try the ipod adapter in your husband's Titan and see if it plays there. If it doesn't either, then your cassette adapter is defective.

3) I find the pocket sized mp3 players have very low output levels. I play my Iriver ihp-120 (a 20GB PC version of something like an ipod) and have to crank the output of my Iriver to 50% maximum AND set my volume output on my stereo to be about 22-23 to get the volume to an acceptable level. You may simply need to turn up the volume!

·
4,994 Posts
fadra44 If you look at my ranking put the PAC just above the Cassette adapter but further above the fm modulator. The cassette player on all the vehicles i have trided them on seems to each vary.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the music signal coupling between the playback head in the cassette and the pick up in the player. What it is is how the player senses the tape tension. The Sony units will not work at all in the G35 or the SLK.

The playback units that do foul up seems to let the tape mechansim continue to rotate and either lock the player or let the tape transport motor continue to run. I have not found a way to predict which will work. I suggest that you try a couple and return them if they don't work.

The Belkin interface uses the IPOD base connector output and will charge the Ipod as well AND contains an adjustable amplifer to boost signal if required.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts