Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an iPod and want to take full advantage of it. Does anyone know if it can be incorporated directly into the Bose System? I don't have SAT and wonder if it can incorporated in it's place. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just about to post the same question! I hope you don't mind if I expand on your question slightly. I think we want to know if an analog audio input can be fed into the unused SAT input of the OEM radio (presumably using the cable intended for the SAT receiver)? Anyone figured it out yet?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There is a lot written on this.
Do searches and pay attention to what jaak says as he was a pioneer in getting SAT working and know the challenges involved in integrating with the Bose.
BUT, as I understand it, there is a Central control device (BIG Circuit board) that controls lotsa things.
Dual AC for one.
AND some audio, etc for the bose.
It also can/may be used to certain control functions of the NAV if equipped.

Apparently it is a "smart" controller that runs a protocol.
So when you hook up something to the SAT input, it assumes it is a SAT recv and proceeded to"talk" or "handshake" with the recv.

Now if it is NOT a SAT, it won't work.

Could something be done to fake out the controller?

Undoubtedly. But it hasn't been done yet.
Somebody will have to reverse engineer the protocol and build an adapter to do the handshaking and couple the audio in.

Homer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I read the thread about hooking up the SAT receiver. I think I also read that someone with an FX connected his MP3 player to his SAT input and fooled the radio into opening up the SAT analog audio input by shorting out 2 pins on the end of the SAT connector cable. Is there a similar solution for the Murano?

·
4,664 Posts
http://icelink.densionusa.com

They have it for other Nissans.... If it works in the FX and the G35, it's likely to work in the Murano as well, however they haven't released it yet, by the looks of things....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ah so Grasshopper.

That doesn't come in thru the SAT.

It comes in thru the CD changer input.
You lose your CD changer.

Homer

·
Registered
255 Posts
The SAT input can operate either a SAT or CD Changer. Jaak actually comments on his site how the board is labeled CD Changer instead of SAT.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, in summary it looks like this $200 ICE adapter can be used to connect an iPod thru either the SAT or CD changer ports. I see they also sell iPod holders specific to the Murano.

Who's gonna be first to try it?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm curious too!! But wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper!) to use an FM Transmitter like the iTrip? You would trade off some of the crispness of sound, but you wouldn't need to mess with the circuit board. Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, and the cassette-type adapters probably have sound quality good enough for mp3's as well (and who uses their cassette player these days?)

I personally prefer uncompressed CDs, so don't need a mp3 interface...... but my wife is starting to talk about wanting an iPod.

Like you, I'm curious to know all the possible solutions.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am using a cassette adapter with my iRiver ihp120 (the Anti-Ipod) and it works fine. Kind of messy with the cables and wires but its the easiest solution at this point for mp3 sound.

·
4,664 Posts
The SAT connector is also an external Changer connector.

An FM modulator is going to be restricted in frequency response and dynamic range, as is the cassette adapter, so the direct input is the ideal way to go, plus not as messy. (If someone would build one...)

·
4,664 Posts
So if you could connect an external device, what would you want to connect?

Just Curious...:31: (He says with a knowing glint in his eye....)

·
Registered
19 Posts
icelink not available

The ice-link does not work for the murano, it states it under the product description, i emailed them asking if they are making a compatible product, especially for the bose system.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, that's surprising, as it's the same command sets.. Must be one little gotcha...

I'm hoping to build my own in the next 2-3 months. Recent discoveries I've made, have opened the doors and I now know how it works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I disagree strongly. -edited by some gaylord

Like i said, you are a moron. the question was if it could be incorporated to the system, not a half assed rig up.

·
4,664 Posts
darrylburke said:
IPod + MO.. = Yes you can..

Well, there is an old saying.. If High-Tech won't work.. go Low-Tech..

Think drive in theater, on a tiny portable scale.. :)

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-36.html
An FM modulator is not incorporating it into the Bose system. You lose dynamic range, frequency response and flatness with an FM modulator, so it's not the solution that people are looking for.

But a nice try!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I agree it's not the best solution, but it's a solution none the less..

There are a lot of disadvantages of using FM as opposed to directly into the receiver.. but then again not everyone is looking to "Get under the cover" and mess with the internals of the bose system. Some MO owners just may wish to "snap thier fingers" and make it work. for those types it could well be an easy (and self installable) option..

I havn't looked at the electronics of the cd player, but if it architected similiar to the PC design (which you can find in a lot of devises these days..) then it might have the standard audio out from the cd into the receiver.. you might be able to tap in there

The MO does support the DVD with the NAV, so the cd player in the boses system might be similiar to a PC cdrom..

·
4,664 Posts
The best solution is one that plugs into the SAT connector port and provides and input for the SAT receiver as well.

Yes you can tap into the CD or other audio paths, but then you have just voided your warranty.

The NAV DVD is a different drive than the Bose CD player.

There is a severe lack of aftermarket solutions for Nissan products. Good market opportunity.

I keep hoping someone will release a good reasonably priced solution, then I can stop working on mine.

Got the PC board in, now I have to start stuffing parts and write some more code...

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts