Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have read lot on how to integrate the ipod to all the earlier models of the murano, and also what the requirements are to have it integrated. My question is how can i integrate without having the 6 cd changer (bose stereo). What items can i use besides the Hardon Kardon drive and play...i have two fm transmitters and they dont sound good at all. I want straight cd quality sound! Anyone have any tips or advice for a 2006 S owner.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a ton of recent information about iPod integration in this forum. Search the word iPod over a date range of 6 months or so, and you will see lots of useful information.

You may also want to search by user ID.
I suggest you search for all my posts; my ID is alanpgh

I have only been a member for a few months, and most of my posts have been about the iPod or Handsfree cell phone car kits.

You may also want to search for posts by:
jerseyparts
rixmo

You'll likely find some useful posts in the threads surrounding these posts.

Feel free to send me a Private Message or Email.

Let us know what you find out as things are changing all the time.

Good Luck!

Alan

·
Registered
255 Posts
Assuming you've read all the posts that Allen pointed you to, then you know that the factory IPOD cable isn't a perfect fit for '06. But you can play MP3's from your deck. I'll tell you that the sound from the IPOD factory cable is the best I've heard. While you can't change songs or randomize it on your 06 model, you do get song display, stealth install, and IPOD charging. Another option is MP3s. My mustang plays MP3s so I burned each of my playlists to a high quality MP3 cd and play them in the 6 cd changer. I still get song control, title display, and random functions for the price of a CD (free with mail in rebates!). You don't get 60gig on the CDs but you can get most of your favorites in there!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question for rixmo

When you mentioned you cannot randomize the iPod is that from the Murano display that you cannot? Can you at least preset the iPod to random songs from the iPod and will it stick or does it get reset everytime you turn off the car?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can set random to all, list, album etc. using the radio functions (I have the Xterra Kit with an 05 Mo). If you turn off the radio, but leave the car on, it remembers. If you turn the car off, the IPOD forgets the random function, even if you set it on the IPOD before plugging it in. I've been told this is an IPOD issue, not a Nissan issue and that it may be fixed in a future release of their software. If you have an 06, JerseyParts from YourNissanParts.com has a Titan kit that'll work with your radio.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a simple question:
What functionality do I give up compared with being able to reach my iPod-mini scroll wheel to make playlist/song/podcast selections?

I just bought an Air Click and strapped it to my steering wheel. This is an RF remote with modest, but useful, functionality. Between the Air Click (made by Griffin Technology), and having the iPod within easy reach, the system works fine using the PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod interface. Pacific Audio may have newer units now; Check them out at www.pac-audio.com.
And there are now so many other solutions. I do like the idea of having the full funtionality of the iPod scroll wheel nearby. Some say they also get this functionality with the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play; I'm not sure, but they have the Harmon Kardon at local Best Buy stores in case you want to see the unit.

I have attached a photo of my iPod install done about 3 mo. ago plus a few new pics of the recent addition of the Air Click RF Remote.

Also, here's an interesting post on the Harmon Kardon unit: (I don't have any personal experience with the HK unit.)
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6246&highlight=niss

There are so many solutions now, but I am pleased with the performance and flexibility of the install in my '06 MO SL AWD from a few months ago.

Good Luck!

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
So if I get the Titan version for my 06 with Bose I can control my iPod from the radio, it will be powered by the car, installed in the glove box and the audio output is a direct connect (NO RF).

Will I see the options on the LCD screen for selecting songs etc...?

Did you install yourself or have the dealer do it? I would prefer to get a dealer or someone to install it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Alan, I had the same IPOD setup you now have and I sold it all to go with the Xterra harness. With the Griffen, you have to remember to turn the IPOD on/off if you have it plugged into a lighter. Also, you can only power up/down, change volume and skip songs with the airclick. With the Xterra (05) or Titan (06) you get everything but memory of random settings.

GQuiring, 1. yes (but check with Jersey Parts as I don't have the titan version)

2. yes, you see it all even with navigation

3. installed it myself. It litterally plugs into a harness behind the seat. I'd install it for you, but NJ is a little far to drive! In order to get the IPOD up to the glove box, I had to run wires along the door jams but they just pop off and on again. You can just leave the IPOD in your under trunk (but on top of the spare) tray. You really don't even look at it anymore. The only issue would be removing the IPOD if you store lots of junk in your trunk.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The factory interface for the Titan that works in the Murano sounds like it has great potential. I just want to make sure I understand the functionality provided. I hope someone on this forum can clarify the iPod scroll wheel functions that are still available and the ones that are not. Just some sort of brief description in a few sentences would be helpful.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
190 Posts
rixmo:

Your post clears up all my questions. Sounds like the factory unit is a very good way to go today.

Any addtional comments from jerseyparts or anyone else will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now you really have me interested. I thought I had to remove the radio to install it. It just plugs into the sat radio connector which is somewhere behind the rear seats? I could do that and I guess it makes sense to leave the iPod back there, I don't add songs that often to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So will the Titan 06 unit work with an 06 S with no sat functions or does my OEM radio have the sat hook up (not sure where it is located in my MO) and i can have the function of the Titan model.

help appreciated.

Also i understood that the PAC-NAIS unit had full function with steering wheel controls and also charged the unit as well...am i wrong with this assumption?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The PAC AAI-NIS2 unit still requires a way to charge the iPod, unless you plan to charge it each evening in your home dock. At the time I did my install in early 3/06, I also had to buy a small Blitzsafe unit. I think I bought this from Logjam Electronics.

Good Luck!

Alan

·
Registered
190 Posts
I finally understand that I am doing something different in the way I use my iPod. I take it into my house and sync it each evening with iTunes because I listen to a number of daily podcasts. So, any solution for me needs to make it easy to remove the iPod from the car (until they make a Wi-Fi iPod). My current solution is easy.

With the factory unit, I see that many of you are putting it in the trunk. How do you update it with songs (or in my case, daily podcasts)?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. to previous post: You may need to get a mounting clip if you want to mount the iPod next to the radio. I bought one from www.proclipusa.com.

·
Registered
255 Posts
gquiring, Fold the rear seats flat, then lift up on the carpeted and rubber dividers where the seat meets the cargo area. You'll see the harness there. It's the white one that isn't plugged into anything on my '05.

Alan, I ran my harness wires all the way up to the glove box so I simply open it up and unplug it. It's also nice there as it is a completely hidden installation with no tell tale wires hanging around the dash. You need to find out from Brian (JerseyParts) how long each wire harness is to make sure the Titan harness is long enough to do this. I ran mine under the rear seat to the door trim on the passenger side and up to the glove box from there. All this trim is removed with a simple tug staight up/out and pops back in when you're done.

ddibrano, the Pac provides line in sound to the Nissan radio if it has a plug for SAT on the rear of the radio. I believe even the non-BOSE radio has this feature. If your radio has a SAT button on the front, then you have the plug in the back. The Pac has to be installed on the back of the radio and then you need to plug an RCA/mini jack cord to get sound out of the IPOD. I started with this, but then got frustrated with changing songs without having wires all over my beautiful interior. I added the Griffen Airclick (like Alanpgh) but then thought "Why do I have all these buttons on my steering wheel that aren't useable anymore?" When this moduule came out, it gave me everything I wanted. Control on stock steering wheel buttons, display of music titles on stock screen, plus complete navigation of IPOD functions with stock radio buttons and no dash tear apart needed. Keep in mind, us '05 and older Mo's can't even play an MP3 disc in our radios!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your very clear description Rixmo. I am looking for a clutter free and very user friendly hook up for my ipod.

So are we saying then that the new module will work in the 06' MO's without sat...cause if i have to pay double for the module and get twice the function from it (rather than the PAC unit). I am willing to buy but have to know i am not purchasing something that will not work on my car....i have a wireless FM transmitter with the RCA cables hooked up to it and it is annoying to have to charge it overnight to use it all day.

Looking to get away from that if possible.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You've got to have a "SAT" button on your radio. If you do, just confirm that you have the sat wire harness behind your rear seat. Then you're good to work with JerseyParts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what options are there then if there is no "SAT" button....am i destined to get the PAC with a Charger......or the NEO ipod module...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts