Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and a new Mo owner. I wanted to know how you guys have your IPod hooked up? I know about the Sat add on thing but I have XM so that won't work for me. So any help would be great.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did the satalite option and love the clear sound, however this looks very interesting and should work for you as well.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smartdeck/index.php

Anybody read about this? Will the sound be as good as using the PAC interface? Shouldn't we be able to control the IPOD with our steering wheel controls? The only thing missing would be the song title on the screen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
PAC-AAI-NIS iPod Car Adaptor

Hi, I am thinking of getting this for my MO. Have been looking at eBay lately. In most of the sellers' description, they mentioned:

Not all external audio devices have the same audio output level. Some devices may sound lower in volume than others. If you want to match the audio level to the factory radio’s CD, Tape or FM/AM volume, use an RCA line driver like our Turbo1 Line Driver.

From the guys that have installed this device, do you need to use RCA line driver on your iPod or iPod mini?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just had to turn the volume up on the IPOD and everything sounded fine then. I don't think you need the line driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
iPod PAC, Blitzsafe - power wiring.

Hi.

I've been zipping through all the scattered discussions about the PAC's and hooking up ipods. I'm going to go with the PAC adapter for the SAT button on my '03 and then a Blitzsafe UUI ipod adapter to hook up to that.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=793

My question - as a guy comfortable with fixing computers/home electricity but no car experience - is...

is it safe/fair to try to tap into the radio power for the Blitzsafe's constant and switch power sources, or should I be wiring back to the fuse panel?

If so, I think I can do that right on the T for the PAC box. Any reason why I might not want to do that?

(btw, I've ordered my parts but haven't received them yet.)

Thanks,

Dave!

·
4,664 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yes, wiring it into the harness for the PAC is the perfect place to put it. You can do the wiring before you install it, so putting it in, is just unplugging and plugging connectors. If at some point you want to remove it, it will be very easy. (Other than taking the radio out to get it, but that's not so bad...)

Looks like a good solution!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am using the PAC RCA adapter and a Monster Cable Cig. lighter power adapter. The adapter is black so it matches better, has a low profile cig. connector, and has a 3.5mm line out on it at the dock connectory so I don't have to use the crap(pier) headphone plug, and thus no worries about output volume.

and I have the Griffin wireless remote control that straps nicely to the steering wheel.

this works pretty well, although coming from an in-dash Kenwood DVD player w/ iPod controls and text display its still not perfect for me. :(

that Blitzsafe looks pretty cool but would only clutter my radio cubicle even more since I have the AMP adapter and the RCA adapter from PAC.

Let us know how it works!

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Krzydmnd said:

that Blitzsafe looks pretty cool but would only clutter my radio cubicle even more since I have the AMP adapter and the RCA adapter from PAC.

Let us know how it works!
The reason I'm doing the PAC / Blitz thing is I can leave all of it behind the dash except for the ipod's doc connector. Sure, it'd be nice if it were black. I'll be happy to get rid of my Monster FM transmitter... and free up the accessory port.

The parts should arrive tomorrow - I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for confirming the wiring details!

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
ipods sprouting up all over

It must be time to bring home the ipods. My wife and 2 daughters just got them, and they commandeer the Mo most often. Post your results, I'll be in line as well doing this.

Chuck

·
4,664 Posts
Interesting idea, especially the larger display. However, mounting your iPod would give you the same display and control and not take up as much dash space.

It's a shame there's no truly integrated solution yet, using the Murano's display and controls.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right... well I just got my car back from the dealer - 4 days to get a new alternator.... haven't I heard about that before?

So last night was my first chance to play with the PAC/Blitz install. It was easy.

I just spliced in the Blitz power wires into the PAC's power wires (colors match and everything) and dumped it in the dash. Works fantastically. I just fished the ipod dock connector into the little tray under the radio. It took about 25 mintues from start to finish.

Sorry, no pictures - my camera is at work - but I just used a couple 18-22 crimp sleeves to splice the Blitz's power wires in. Thats the only thing different from the other well illustrated installs I've seen here.

I'd have given my left nut for another couple inches on the radio's wiring harness though....

Thanks for your help guys!

-Dave

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Go IPOD NANO !

·
Registered
21 Posts
GripperDon said:
Go IPOD NANO !
Yeah... that's my next thing. I'm trying to make a small mount for my black nano to hang next to radio, just to the right of the steering wheel. Right by that little light thingy by the keys... what the hell is that anyway? I've never seen it on.

I left enough of the dock cord out to place the ipod (I have a 4G 40 and a nano) on the shifter console, on the upper left of the radio and for the passenger to hold and play with it.

A cord retractor would be nice to mount under the radio pod... if anyone know of a clever one...

Dave.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I sell computer stuff (including iPod accessories out the ying yang) and I know we have a few different retractable iPod connector gadgets.

Here is one that is a 3.5mm headset to RCA outs if you are willing to do the headset audio out. I'll check on Monday if there is an iPod dock connector to RCA in a retractable. I'd bet there is, I just have to look it up in our system.

Zip-linq Retractable Audio Cable, (3.5 mm to Dual RCA)

Part No. SW-4123
Mfg. Part No. ZIP-AUDIO-CD5

Let me know how you end up w/ the Nano mount, I have one on the way next week to do exactly the same thing with. My 20 will be my portable and my Nano will be my auto if I can find a semi-permanent mounting solution for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nano ipod dock.

Alright, so it's a little ghetto, but it works well.

I took a piece of 1x3 and ripped it down to a little bigger than the nano. Chiseled out a groove for it... wrapped it in non-slip drawer liner and plopped some industrial velcro on the back. The ipod is gently forced into the channel. The give of the drawer liner makes it a pretty solid fit.

On the upper left of the radio pod there are two positions that work well for me. As pictured, it works well for audio books - I can't see it directly from my normal head position - the wiper switch is in the way. (I almost never look at the screen for books). But when I'm skipping through songs I'll reposition it 3/4 an inch higher and its 100% visible over the top of the wiper switch. (yeah, I'm 6'5)

Cost: $0 - all part were scrap

I'll replace it when something better comes along.

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Dethpickle

I love it, Small, simple to use, Cheap, Versatile. What more could anyone want? :D G

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Dethpickle

GripperDon said:
I love it, Small, simple to use, Cheap, Versatile. What more could anyone want? :D G
I'll tell you what more I want...

I want to know what that little light/button/pimple is that I'm obscuring. I've never seen it on if its a light... I don't think I can press it...

Is it the missile lock warning lamp?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts