Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time today, I noticed at the pump, 10 percent ethanol added to my high octane 92 gasoline. I'ved heard in our local newspaper that Ethanol is not giving drivers good mileage.

In fact one report, a driver claims that he used to get 130 miles on five gallons now gets 112.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Paniolo-

On a 10% blend, the effect on your mileage should be imperceptible.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
IMHO it DOES effect milleage. I feel that it reduces it. So our smart gov't while trying to help the planet is not.... less emissions but you use more of it.

:19:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
IMHO it DOES effect milleage. I feel that it reduces it. So our smart gov't while trying to help the planet is not.... less emissions but you use more of it.

:19:
Gonzo-

In your opinion, to what extent does the 10% blend reduce gas mileage? 2%? 5%? 10%?

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Looking at my records I would say 5 - 10%... however due to weather variability over the past few years its hard to say accurately.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Many many states have been using 10% Ethanol for years now, and if there was a huge decrease in fuel economy, we'd have some people consistently reporting 10 mpg for the Murano and others reporting that they get EPA numbers.

I'd say the mpg hit with ethanol is marginal, perhaps at most 5%, but its the perception that it is much worse that leads people to drastic conclusions.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Many many states have been using 10% Ethanol for years now"

ME, ME! Mileage 15-16 in short trip town, hwy anywhere from 21-25 depending on terrain(yes we have terrain out here) , speed. I am using mostly premium now due to the small % difference in cost.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm not saying there is a huge reduction... but there is a marginal reduction AND I also believe it causes the MO to start slightly harder too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I log for the last 2-3 filled up.
with Ethanol 11.3 mpg
without Ethanol 15.01 mpg

Both stop and go city traffic with ac on most of the time.

NZM

·
Registered
263 Posts
njjoe said:

Gonzo-

In your opinion, to what extent does the 10% blend reduce gas mileage? 2%? 5%? 10%?

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

My opinion is easily 10% or maybe over. Even with other complication factors in driving condition.
Reg. gas for me.

NZM

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:
Oh, if you are thinking about getting an E85 vehicle. Just take a look here and see how much lower your fuel economy is going to be.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm
The latest issue of Car and Driver compared a new E85 flexfuel Chevy Tahoe on E85 and regular 87 unleaded. The vehicle was .1 second quicker on E85 (to almost every speed) but got considerably less fuel economy (a 30-40% decrease).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:

Production capacity is part of it however the lack of any transportation infrastructure to support ethanol is the real problem.

If I leave the DFW area, gas drops almost 30 cents because they don't have to use the ethanol blend.

BTW, go look at your congressman before pointing fingers at the administration. The administration DOES deserve blame, but it was the congress that mandated a 10% ethanol blend as an oxygenate.
Ethanol is used now instead of MTBE because MTBE has been shown to leech into ground water which leads to long term contamination. Ethanol breaks down more easily and doesn't pollute water to the extent of MTBE - this is why it is now used.

Now if you are against oxygenates as a whole, we'd all end up with Mexico City smog in the major US cities. I'd eat a mpg or two to breathe cleaner air anyday.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Eric L. said:

Ethanol is used now instead of MTBE because MTBE has been shown to leech into ground water which leads to long term contamination. Ethanol breaks down more easily and doesn't pollute water to the extent of MTBE - this is why it is now used.

Now if you are against oxygenates as a whole, we'd all end up with Mexico City smog in the major US cities. I'd eat a mpg or two to breathe cleaner air anyday.
I fill up at EXXON sometimes and the pump has a sticker that reads MBTE still.

On the other hand, in the last 2 months I have noticed close to a 10% decrease in my average fuel economy from about 22 MPG to about 20 MPG.

I say, bring back pure gas. It's not like it is saving us money at the pump like they claimed.

[Edit by Enforcer]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Maybe...Just maybe,
The corn farmers are watching us.

NZM

No, I am. - Enforcer

·
Registered
77 Posts
Enforcer said:
Question: Does compression ratio have an effect on ethanol gas mileage?
There are two major factors. One is that a gallon of ethanol has about 1/3 lower energy content than a gallon of gasoline. In E85 vs. gasoline, the ratio is about 0.73 : 1. The other is that ethanol has a higher equivalent octane number. E85 has an octane number in 110+ range, which allows higher compression ratio engine design to raise the efficiency somewhat. The problem is that the current flex-fuel engines are not designed with high compression ratio to take the octane advantage because they also have to operate with gasoline.
For E10 fuel, the difference in energy density should be small (<5%), at least in theory.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
E-

Ethanol increases the vapor pressure of gasoline.

-njjoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
oops~

NZM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts