Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,
I have a 2009 LE with 156K on it and every so often I get stuck in "Limp Mode".
It seems sometimes when I 'tromp it' to pass a vehicle or 'just to give it the gas' the engine takes off normally, but after a second of two of this it starts to 'shutter' and may go 'limp' and go into Limp Mode.
- Two weeks ago I had to drive two hours South of my home for an appointment.
The Murano ran perfectly ALL the way down, until the last mile or so, when I literally Limped into my appointments parking lot, where it initially would not move anymore, forward or reverse.
- I thought for sure that I was stuck and the transmission was dead.
I parked it for 15 minutes, shut it off, went in to my appointment and when I came back out, it ran fine, and I drove it home about 40 miles (???)!
I brought my Mo' over to my local Auto Shop, where they read all of the codes (the dash icons light up like a Christmas Tree whenever this occurs).
They came up with THREE possible problems.
1 - Throttle Speed SENSOR
2 - Cam Position SENSOR
3 - Transmission service ( change transmission fluid, clean screen, new filter).

Now I'm new to our Constant Velocity Transmissions, so I don't really get it.
I had an old '95 Chevy Blazer who's transmission 'went'.
Now, with an old school transmission when they go, THEY GO, they are stone cold dead.
Once THEY GO, they GO and you DO NOT GO. Forward/Reverse, if you know what I mean.

With my MO' IF the Transmission was shot, I should NOT have been able to drive it over the last two weeks, which I have, and it seems just fine(???).

This intermittent problem has been happening on/off since last October, and I'm sure one of these days that I'll just be STUCK somewhere.

WHAT IS THE GENERAL OPINION on exactly WHAT the problem is?

What should I address FIRST from my list of "#'s 1 - 2 - 3' above?

My garage suggested the Transmission Service first, then if needed the Speed Sensor, then cam sensor lastly?

Any and All suggestions are Greatly Appreciated.

I LOVE my Murano LE and cannot afford another vehicle now...
(My Fiancé' just bought a beautiful 2012 Midnight Blue Murano Platinum from Car Max recently)!
I'd LOVE a New 2020 Platinum, but I don't have $43K...

Thanks,

Irv [worried about my Mo'] in Maine

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
At 150K miles if you haven't done a transmission fluid exchange, you're overdue. I'd start there. Use ONLY the approved Nissan fluid, and make sure the shop knows what they're doing. I don't think the fluid has anything to do with the problem, but it is needed maintenance regardless.

After that, one of the most frequent failures on the Nissan V6 is cam sensors, and you're in the mileage range where that happens. I'd give the probability edge to the cam sensors. But they should have been called out by the codes. I don't understand whether the shop told you they were indicated, or whether they were making a guess.

Throttle sensor is a possibility, but just based on frequency of reports here, I'd put it below cam sensors in probability.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Rule out Cam Sensors (There's two of them.). Car won't start when even one is not working.

Throttle Sensor failure will cause erratic engine RPM, inconsistent with gas pedal position.

With 150K miles, CVT is way past service, unless it's been done in the past.

I would have the CVT manually flushed, pan dropped and cleaned along with replacing any filters. There's several threads here on doing it. I would not have a power flush done. Without cleaning first, a power flush will push dirt where it doesn't belong and will kill a CVT that is on the edge and could be saved with proper care.

If you still have issues, issue could be CVT valve module or solenoid.

Hope this helps you out with the diagnosis.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Good info from Paul. I bow to his analysis!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I'm going to my Garage this week for the Tranny service then we'll see how it is aftwards.
I searched the internet for the special NS2 Nissan Fluid and found 12 Qts for a great price at Zandovdotcom.
- Boy is That stuff Pricey!!!
As always on our Great Forum, I appreciate all the good input!!
I'll let you know how I make out.

Irv in Maine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Group,

OK - I need to make a Big Decision, and I'm asking The Forum to help me make it...
I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend $400+ on a Transmission Service...OR just buy a Rebuilt Transmission.

- Upon doing lots of research and reading, I came upon this, about the 1st/2nd Gen Murano Transmission…

Murano CVT Transmissions are prone to premature failure - mostly due to a weak fluid pump.
- The pumps don't provide adequate fluid pressure under low rpm conditions.
- Since 2003 Nissan Murano CVT Transmissions have been plagued with numerous problems, which include the following:
- Vibrations around 30 mph.
- Code P0868 Secondary Pressure (down or low).
- No high gear ratio (similar to no high gear or 3rd or 4th gear in a regular transmission).
- Overheating and going into Failsafe Mode after a long drive.
- Chuggling or lugging (like starting out in 4th gear in a manual transmission).

- These are the Upgrades done to a Rebuilt Murano CVT Transmission:
- Reconditioned steel belts, new O-rings and seals.
- New Internal Filter - New Heavy Duty Torque Converter.
- New Upgraded Variator Bearings.
- New Upgraded Pump - Upgraded Valve Bodies to increase pressure and fluid flow.

NOW - A Rebuilt Transmission costs between $1500 - $3500 and would come with a TWO YEAR (!) Warrantee.

I COULD buy a used Transmission, for less, BUT...... When the "Magical-built-in-mileage-number" of around 150,000 to 160,000 miles occurs, then THAT Transmission is also shot/USELESS.

THANK YOU NISSAN !
REAL GOOD!

I'm leaning towards just skipping the $400ish 'Transmission Service' with my present transmission, (which has had ALL of these issues) in lieu of this New Rebuilt one, which at least will LAST!

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION on this?
What would YOU do?

* I've already got too much invested in my 2009 Murano LE to just let it go....
New struts, shocks, exhaust, Cat, headlights, alternator, brakes four new tires, trailer hitch, on and on.

Please help me decide here guys/girls!

I Appreciate all opinions that I get, from our Great Forum!

Thanks to All, who like me, are all 'stuck inside' from the Dreaded Coronavirus!

Irv in Maine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
$1500 - $3500 is quite a spread. Does the upper price include installation?

IF the engine is not burning oil, I would do a compression test on the engine before investing any significant amount of money. If there's any issue with low compression, you'll be investing another $3 - 5K down the road. If that's the case, spend the $400 and drive it until it dies and save your money for another car.

With good compression all the cylinders, you have a pretty good solid base and I'd go with the remanufactured CVT.

With 150K + miles, you can expect serpentine belt components starting to show their age. Power steering, alt, water pump and A/C compressor will be next on the list. Keep an eye on them.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Group,

OK - I need to make a Big Decision, and I'm asking The Forum to help me make it...
I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend $400+ on a Transmission Service...OR just buy a Rebuilt Transmission.

- Upon doing lots of research and reading, I came upon this, about the 1st/2nd Gen Murano Transmission…

Murano CVT Transmissions are prone to premature failure - mostly due to a weak fluid pump.
- The pumps don't provide adequate fluid pressure under low rpm conditions.
- Since 2003 Nissan Murano CVT Transmissions have been plagued with numerous problems, which include the following:
- Vibrations around 30 mph.
- Code P0868 Secondary Pressure (down or low).
- No high gear ratio (similar to no high gear or 3rd or 4th gear in a regular transmission).
- Overheating and going into Failsafe Mode after a long drive.
- Chuggling or lugging (like starting out in 4th gear in a manual transmission).

- These are the Upgrades done to a Rebuilt Murano CVT Transmission:
- Reconditioned steel belts, new O-rings and seals.
- New Internal Filter - New Heavy Duty Torque Converter.
- New Upgraded Variator Bearings.
- New Upgraded Pump - Upgraded Valve Bodies to increase pressure and fluid flow.

NOW - A Rebuilt Transmission costs between $1500 - $3500 and would come with a TWO YEAR (!) Warrantee.

I COULD buy a used Transmission, for less, BUT...... When the "Magical-built-in-mileage-number" of around 150,000 to 160,000 miles occurs, then THAT Transmission is also shot/USELESS.

THANK YOU NISSAN !
REAL GOOD!

I'm leaning towards just skipping the $400ish 'Transmission Service' with my present transmission, (which has had ALL of these issues) in lieu of this New Rebuilt one, which at least will LAST!

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION on this?
What would YOU do?

* I've already got too much invested in my 2009 Murano LE to just let it go....
New struts, shocks, exhaust, Cat, headlights, alternator, brakes four new tires, trailer hitch, on and on.

Please help me decide here guys/girls!

I Appreciate all opinions that I get, from our Great Forum!

Thanks to All, who like me, are all 'stuck inside' from the Dreaded Coronavirus!

Irv in Maine.
Before dropping several thousand dollars on a rebuilt transmission, has your mechanic/shop confirmed that you need a new transmission? Also, how much more time/mileage do you want out of the car? This could help you decide which way you want to go. You say you've sunk a lot of $$ into the car, but that is not a good reason to hang on to it--I'm sure you know the old saying "throwing good money after bad."

BTW, the info about the rebuilt CVT sounds like marketing language to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
I think you have the cart way in front of the horse. You need a solid diagnosis from a trusted source before you jump into this.

What specific diagnosis did you get from the recent service? You hinted but did not specify that they pointed to something about the transmission. Also, you may not have driven the car long enough to confirm that the problem still exists.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All- Yes my engine is fine/strong and burns no oil. I already replaced the Serpentine Belt, Alternator
My local garage plugged in their big code reader and I don't know what the Code Numbers were, but they referred to either the 'Throttle Speed Sensor' or 'Cam Position Sensors'. (Something was showing that the Murano was moving at .4 mph while sitting still in the garage(?).
Those were ruled out [earlier above message] from Paul Day...
As I drive the Murano, I never know just when the TRANSMISSION PROBLEM will manifest itself, but it does.
It will start to 'slip and make noises' when initially starting out. If I take it relatively easy, it propels me forward.
But, one day last week, I pulled out of my driveway, drove about 1/2 mile, then- NOTHING. It starts and runs, but IT REFUSED TO MOVE FORWARD. I parked it, walked to my appointment, came back and tried it, and it propelled me forward and go me home.
The same happened a few weeks ago, on a 30 mile drive to an office. It stopped moving forward when I had arrived at their parking lot, but then would not move.
I parked it for about 20 minutes, then started it and it worked fine (?).
I never know when/where the Transmission will stop working, but it is happening more and more now, and I cannot trust the Murano to get me where I am going!
- THATS' how I KNOW the Transmission is GOING.
I'm not sure that spending [wasting ?] $400- on the Full Transmission Servicing will do anything or fix this on going problem.
NOW- Given the present State of The World, with the Coronavirus Pandemic raging, I can't schedule any shop time anywhere near me, because The Entire World is Closed!

I suppose I should 'Bite-the-Bullet' and bring my Murano to a Nissan Dealer for their diagnosis but I don't really need their extraordinarily expensive shop time costs!

I must do something and get this fixed somehow.
Within one month I'll be towing my 18' boat, which I'm sure will just Kill whatever is left in the old transmission.

*What is the General Consensus on those statements above, which I got from a Transmission Service center, about "The Murano CVT Transmission Problems"?
I have read similar statements concerning our transmissions in the past.
Are they TRUE?

So, that's where I stand right now.

Opinions, Please.

Thanks!

Irv in Maine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Group,
I have a 2009 LE with 156K on it and every so often I get stuck in "Limp Mode".
It seems sometimes when I 'tromp it' to pass a vehicle or 'just to give it the gas' the engine takes off normally, but after a second of two of this it starts to 'shutter' and may go 'limp' and go into Limp Mode.
- Two weeks ago I had to drive two hours South of my home for an appointment.
The Murano ran perfectly ALL the way down, until the last mile or so, when I literally Limped into my appointments parking lot, where it initially would not move anymore, forward or reverse.
- I thought for sure that I was stuck and the transmission was dead.
I parked it for 15 minutes, shut it off, went in to my appointment and when I came back out, it ran fine, and I drove it home about 40 miles (???)!
I brought my Mo' over to my local Auto Shop, where they read all of the codes (the dash icons light up like a Christmas Tree whenever this occurs).
They came up with THREE possible problems.
1 - Throttle Speed SENSOR
2 - Cam Position SENSOR
3 - Transmission service ( change transmission fluid, clean screen, new filter).

Now I'm new to our Constant Velocity Transmissions, so I don't really get it.
I had an old '95 Chevy Blazer who's transmission 'went'.
Now, with an old school transmission when they go, THEY GO, they are stone cold dead.
Once THEY GO, they GO and you DO NOT GO. Forward/Reverse, if you know what I mean.

With my MO' IF the Transmission was shot, I should NOT have been able to drive it over the last two weeks, which I have, and it seems just fine(???).

This intermittent problem has been happening on/off since last October, and I'm sure one of these days that I'll just be STUCK somewhere.

WHAT IS THE GENERAL OPINION on exactly WHAT the problem is?

What should I address FIRST from my list of "#'s 1 - 2 - 3' above?

My garage suggested the Transmission Service first, then if needed the Speed Sensor, then cam sensor lastly?

Any and All suggestions are Greatly Appreciated.

I LOVE my Murano LE and cannot afford another vehicle now...
(My Fiancé' just bought a beautiful 2012 Midnight Blue Murano Platinum from Car Max recently)!
I'd LOVE a New 2020 Platinum, but I don't have $43K...

Thanks,

Irv [worried about my Mo'] in Maine
First off Id address your sensors, clear all codes then do a driveability procedure then see if the trouble still exists. If you havent changed the cvt fluid in a 30,000 mile religous action, hour chain is worn. If the filter behind the driverside panel is restricting fluid to the cvt, you will destroy your high performance tranny.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You're CVT should be throwing a code if it's acting up so much. Not all code readers can read CVT TCM error codes.

The Android app called CVTz50 does:

Pair it with this inexpensive OBD2 dongle like this one with excellent reviews:

If you go for this solution, let us know the TCM error codes.

Hopefully it will be a relatively inexpensive fix like a valve body or stepper motor that needs to be replaced if it's your CVT this is causing your issues...

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
@iambler is that boat within the tow rating of your Murano? I think you’re rated for 3500 pounds with a class III hitch, but not sure. I share your concern for towing an 18 foot boat.

I think you need a dealer diagnostic, as they may be able to read codes you can’t get otherwise.

And until you have more confidence in the Murano, I suggest you rent a vehicle to tow it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI All,
I took my 'Mo down to Lee Nissan in Auburn Maine today for their $100- Diagnostic...

The Codes:
P0746 - PC Solenoid A - (Transmission)
P0868 - Fluid Pressure Low - (Transmission)
P1778 - Step Motor - (Transmission)

The Service Manager called these codes..."The Death Codes [for the CVT].

So, what's my next step?

Have it taken out & serviced/fixed with those parts?
Spend $2500- on a Totally Rebuilt one, with a three year warrantee?

I cannot afford another vehicle.

That's where I stand.

Irv in Maine

·
Registered
558 Posts
HI All,
I took my 'Mo down to Lee Nissan in Auburn Maine today for their $100- Diagnostic...

The Codes:
P0746 - PC Solenoid A - (Transmission)
P0868 - Fluid Pressure Low - (Transmission)
P1778 - Step Motor - (Transmission)

The Service Manager called these codes..."The Death Codes [for the CVT].

So, what's my next step?

Have it taken out & serviced/fixed with those parts?
Spend $2500- on a Totally Rebuilt one, with a three year warrantee?

I cannot afford another vehicle.

That's where I stand.

Irv in Maine
Did the dealer give you these options? I thought they didn't service CVT internals--just replaced the unit as a whole. Nevertheless, if they offered you a reman CVT with a 3-year warranty for $2,500 then I would go with that since trying to replace specific internal parts like the valve body is taking a gamble as it might not work (or something else might break shortly thereafter).

With that said, you'll be forking over north of $4k when labor/materials/taxes etc are added in. You say you can't afford another vehicle, but if you can come up with that kind of cash then you owe it to yourself to at least take a look at the used car market and check if there's something in that price range that can meet your needs. You can help offset your cost of another vehicle by selling the Murano as a parts car or to someone with mechanical chops that thinks he/she can fix the CVT themselves. For comparison, Kelley Blue Book values your car at ~$5k average in good condition in the private party market.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All, My local Lee Nissan Dealer in Auburn Maine told me that he doesn't know of anyone, anywhere who would rebuild the internals of our 'wacky CVT's - (Unlike a regular/normal Chevy/Ford/Doge etc transmission, where they could). I did this with all of my past four Chevy S-10 Blazers...
I did an extensive search last night for 4 hours, looking over EVERYTHING available on Ebay, and a few other online transmission ads and companies.
Yes, I could get a totally rebuilt one for $2500 with a three year warrantee.
My '09 Murano would probably 'fall apart' before THAT transmission came into it's "Built-In-Breakdown-Mileage-Figure".
I found 12 used CVT's ranging in price from $1800 - $1000, with mileage figures ranging from 96K to 60K.
- I have decided on one from a company named - www.qualityusedtransmissions.com
They have a CVT from an 2013 Murano with 70K miles on it for $1580- and comes with a 12 month or 12,000 mi warrantee and free shipping.
- I don't think that I can beat that!
There is another one with 60K miles on it for $1,800- but I like that 1 year warrantee on the one, above.

I'll probably order this next week, but then I have no idea when my local auto shop will reopen because of the Corona Virus World-Stopper!

That's at least where I stand right now.

Perhaps others on our great site might benefit from some of my research with all of this.

Damn rotten shame that Nissan didn't pay more attention to the transmission problems with this vehicle, after ALL of these years.
This is basically a quote from my Nissan Service Manager Folks!

Have A Good Weekend All!

Irv in Maine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Group-
Just a 'follow up' on this thread.....
Last Wednesday the transmission DIED in my Fiance's driveway, and I had to have my 'Mo towed Home, to my driveway.
One week after I had it code tested at my local Nissan dealership in Auburn Maine.
I am in the process of obtaining a loan to buy a good used guaranteed transmission, with a 12 month/12,000 mile warrantee.

Gotta do it, I've got no other choice, here.

Well, that's The Story!

All Stay Safe!

Irv in Maine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Group, Well, it took awhile but I have finally amassed the dollars needed to order my Rebuilt Transmission today !
The total cost is $2535 with $380 for truck shipping (350 Lbs) and a refundable $300- Core Charge.
It will be truck shipped from Cades, SC on Monday, arriving at my local shop by Friday.
This comes with a 12,000 mile warrantee or two years which ever comes first.

* IF anyone else is looking for a good totally rebuilt/stronger transmission, look at This place....'Willow Creek
Transmissions, Cade', South Carolina.

I HAD to choose this path, as I've got too much into my '09 Murano LE, I am Retired and live on Social Security, and just cannot afford to get back into payments.

- I JUST paid off the car loan for my Murano, just 12 months ago...
Figures right?
Well, have a Good Weekend Everyone !

Irv in Maine

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Sounds like you found a good option with a good warranty. Best of luck - I hope installation isn't too bad - I'd guess about $1500.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts