Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,
I have a 2009 LE with 156K on it and every so often I get stuck in "Limp Mode".
It seems sometimes when I 'tromp it' to pass a vehicle or 'just to give it the gas' the engine takes off normally, but after a second of two of this it starts to 'shutter' and may go 'limp' and go into Limp Mode.
- Two weeks ago I had to drive two hours South of my home for an appointment.
The Murano ran perfectly ALL the way down, until the last mile or so, when I literally Limped into my appointments parking lot, where it initially would not move anymore, forward or reverse.
- I thought for sure that I was stuck and the transmission was dead.
I parked it for 15 minutes, shut it off, went in to my appointment and when I came back out, it ran fine, and I drove it home about 40 miles (???)!
I brought my Mo' over to my local Auto Shop, where they read all of the codes (the dash icons light up like a Christmas Tree whenever this occurs).
They came up with THREE possible problems.
1 - Throttle Speed SENSOR
2 - Cam Position SENSOR
3 - Transmission service ( change transmission fluid, clean screen, new filter).

Now I'm new to our Constant Velocity Transmissions, so I don't really get it.
I had an old '95 Chevy Blazer who's transmission 'went'.
Now, with an old school transmission when they go, THEY GO, they are stone cold dead.
Once THEY GO, they GO and you DO NOT GO. Forward/Reverse, if you know what I mean.

With my MO' IF the Transmission was shot, I should NOT have been able to drive it over the last two weeks, which I have, and it seems just fine(???).

This intermittent problem has been happening on/off since last October, and I'm sure one of these days that I'll just be STUCK somewhere.

WHAT IS THE GENERAL OPINION on exactly WHAT the problem is?

What should I address FIRST from my list of "#'s 1 - 2 - 3' above?

My garage suggested the Transmission Service first, then if needed the Speed Sensor, then cam sensor lastly?

Any and All suggestions are Greatly Appreciated.

I LOVE my Murano LE and cannot afford another vehicle now...
(My Fiancé' just bought a beautiful 2012 Midnight Blue Murano Platinum from Car Max recently)!
I'd LOVE a New 2020 Platinum, but I don't have $43K...

Thanks,

Irv [worried about my Mo'] in Maine

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
At 150K miles if you haven't done a transmission fluid exchange, you're overdue. I'd start there. Use ONLY the approved Nissan fluid, and make sure the shop knows what they're doing. I don't think the fluid has anything to do with the problem, but it is needed maintenance regardless.

After that, one of the most frequent failures on the Nissan V6 is cam sensors, and you're in the mileage range where that happens. I'd give the probability edge to the cam sensors. But they should have been called out by the codes. I don't understand whether the shop told you they were indicated, or whether they were making a guess.

Throttle sensor is a possibility, but just based on frequency of reports here, I'd put it below cam sensors in probability.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Rule out Cam Sensors (There's two of them.). Car won't start when even one is not working.

Throttle Sensor failure will cause erratic engine RPM, inconsistent with gas pedal position.

With 150K miles, CVT is way past service, unless it's been done in the past.

I would have the CVT manually flushed, pan dropped and cleaned along with replacing any filters. There's several threads here on doing it. I would not have a power flush done. Without cleaning first, a power flush will push dirt where it doesn't belong and will kill a CVT that is on the edge and could be saved with proper care.

If you still have issues, issue could be CVT valve module or solenoid.

Hope this helps you out with the diagnosis.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
Good info from Paul. I bow to his analysis!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I'm going to my Garage this week for the Tranny service then we'll see how it is aftwards.
I searched the internet for the special NS2 Nissan Fluid and found 12 Qts for a great price at Zandovdotcom.
- Boy is That stuff Pricey!!!
As always on our Great Forum, I appreciate all the good input!!
I'll let you know how I make out.

Irv in Maine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts