Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a 3500 mile trip (more on that in another thread). When I come off the freeway and stop, and get going again, the transmission makes all kinds of groaning and whining noises. Goes away after some driving. OK at speed, no operational symptoms, just the noise. Checked fluid, full and clean.
Anyone have similar symptoms?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
None that I know of but I would take it into the dealer ASAP... it could get worse.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
But if you can replicate it when you cbring it to dealer...

than dealer will not admit nor fix anything... Nissan dealers are sometimes a pain ..:rolleyes:

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
ACK!!

I'm leaving for a 5,000 mile 2-week cross country trip in 4 weeks, and I most definitely want to know how things go for you.

Good luck, and please please please post a follow-up. I'll be watching closely.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Good luck bringing it to the dealer. If they do not pull any codes, you better pray they can reproduce the problem, or they'll do the usual Nissan act of throwing their hands up in the air and saying we can't fix it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car goes to the dealer Tuesday. Noise is pretty consistent, so they should have no trouble hearing it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally overcame my stupidity, and revvved the engine in neutral. Same noise! So it apparently isn't the transmission. Whew!Perhaps an alternator bearing (seems to be quite pervalent)?
We shall see Monday.......

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
Well, I finally overcame my stupidity, and revvved the engine in neutral. Same noise! So it apparently isn't the transmission. Whew!Perhaps an alternator bearing (seems to be quite pervalent)?
We shall see Monday.......
A high pitched whining noise which varies with RPMs is indicative of a bad alternator bearing.

·
4,664 Posts
I agree... It's also possible it could be power steering (Does it change with load?) Air Conditioning compressor (Again, does it change with the AC on or off?), Water Pump (Although this wouldn't be as loud).... What else is on there....

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some listening with a stethoscope. Loudest point is on the high pressure AC pipe RH rear of engine compartment. (AC off or on, no difference. Since this pipe goes from the condenser to the evap assy inside the car, could I be listening to one of the door servos in the heater/ac box under the dash?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the dealer. He immediately blamed it on my Amsoil filter hoses leaning against the AC plumbing. Probably the only thing under there he couldn't recognize! I went home, isolated the hoses from the AC lines. No change. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am now pretty sure that it is the oil filter hoses. Not a MO problem to be sure, but I can't explain why it just started when the filter assembly has been on the car for almost a year. I may try relocating it to shorten the hoses...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I insulated the hoses with foam pipe insulation on their entire length (3 1/2 ft). This isolated the hoses from the frame , AC pipes and other things they may have been touching. Noise is almost completely gone now. Amsoil suggests that it may be due to "clogged" filters and suggested changing them. I won't do that right away. The noise is that of the oil pump action being transmitted up the hoses.
Interesting experience!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Nice.... glad you got it resolved. If you have a clogged filter why wouldn't you want to replace it soon?

Any pictures?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really don't think the filter should be clogged. I'm due for an oil change in a few thousand anyway, but I have to go to the distributor to get oil & filters. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally FIXED it! Relocated the filter to the top center of the engine, shortened the hoses (total) by about 3', and the noise is gone.
It's funny, because that was where I was going to put the filter when I started the project. I'll take a picture later.....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!
You owe your dealer an apology.

Noises bug me. My wife can't understand how i can hear these noises and I can't hear her.
I tried to tell her that these noises are irritable while her dulcet tones are pleasant.
Don't think that flew, but at least she dropped it.

Homer

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll tell him next time I see him. That was the only time in 17 months/17000 miles I have been there!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts