Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a look at www.grubbsperformance.com to see what the harness for sat radio costs. This is the harness that's required for the 2003 Murano, if you want sat.

I almost fell out of my chair!

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Me...t_Code=B8377Prewire&Category_Code=MuranoAudio

$121!!!! What a rip off!

When I figured out how to do this, I purchased a harness from USA-SPEC for the CD changer, and I got it at dealer cost, but it was only around $8. Yup, eight dollars. While I would never expect a retailer to sell it at that price (because they have to make a living too) the $121 that Grubbs is charging is likely a reflection of Nissan raising the price.

Now the bizzare part. This is one harness for $121.

If you go to www.everythingg35.com and check out

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/product_info.php?products_id=270

You can get the harness for the G35's that aren't prewired. This is actually two harnesses, the identical harness as the $121 Murano one at Grubbs, plus a second harness that will go from the sat radio receiver to the external CD changer. So you get two harnesses for $85, or one for $121.

So, if you have a 2003 Murano and need the harness, DON'T go to Grubbs. While they used to have fair prices for the harness in the past, the better deal is www.everythingg35.com and get one for the G... After all, it's the same harness!

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard they send you one of these if you pay $121 for the harness...

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks much for that info. Could someone please clarify what I'd need in addition to the harness(es) from G35 and the Nissan XM tuner?

Also, I was hoping someone could comment on sound quality on the factory XM tuner. Right now, I'm using an FM modulator (Delphi with antenna connections) to feed my SkyFi's output to the stock NissanBose head unit. The sound quality is even lower than the units built in FM tuner. I'm blaming this on the modulator, but am not sure.

So, does a NissanBose factory head unit fed by the factory XM tuner sound at least as good as the factory FM head unit?
(or, ideally, better)???

I'm willing to spend the money on the harness and tuner, but would like to know the money is buying me not just better integration, but also upgraded radio sound quality.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Regards
Roger

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless they've changed things, the tuner may or may not come with the antenna (check when you buy it). The G35 harness set, you just use the one with four connectors on it. 3 on one end, 1 on the other, and the other harness you can use as a skipping rope.

Sound quality is better than FM modulator. Definately better. You can do a search in here for feedback from others on that.

Generally speaking, I'd rate sound quality from best to worst, like this:

- OEM direct input
- Pac audio adapter
- Cassette adapter, if levels set right
- FM adapter

The FM inherently degrades both frequency response and dynamic range.

Now XM sources vary from channel to channel, depending on the bit rate they run on each. So you can have OEM and still complain about quality at times. But nothing else will be better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the feedback jaak

Good, this all sounds worthwhile. As soon as I get time to reread all the stuff on your site and can sort through/absorb all the old part numbers vs new part numbers, and the Nissan harness vs the aftermarket one (basically, so come up with a definitive shopping cart) I'm ready to go.

The Mo is going to be my tow vehicle for a bunch of motorcycle races and trackdays scattered across TX this year, and it would be nice to have decent fidelity tunes on those big stretches of open road. Just not happy with the sound from the modulator, which seems a bit below the better/stronger FM stations even.
Right now I"m using teh combined modulator/lighter-adapter from Delphi in the MO. In my old p-car, I use the version of the FM adapter which inserts between the antenna and head unit, and it seems a bit better.

Wish XMDirect would get a Nissan module done. That would be ideal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
newbie to sat radio

So I need the harness to connect a XM tuner to my 2004 6cd Bose head unit...

Does it have to be the tuner that Nissan sells or can I use another XM tuner? ... like the one in the photo? for $47.49 before a $30.00 rebate? www.circuitcity.com

$17.49 for the XM unit and $85 dollar harness from www.everythingg35.com?

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/product_info.php?products_id=270

total $102.49 Is this right? Plus the xm service

Also how are you mounting the "puck"? On the roof of your Mo or on the dash?

Thanks for any help!

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to use the OEM one...

Trust me, it sounds better than that one does, as I've had both!

·
Registered
14 Posts
jaak said:
When I figured out how to do this, I purchased a harness from USA-SPEC for the CD changer, and I got it at dealer cost, but it was only around $8.
I would like to connect the iPOD control unit directly to the HU SAT connector (my 2003 Murano doesn't have a SAT harness) Will that USA-SPEC harness give me the right connectors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like this post has been dead for a while, but I'll give it a try. I have a 2010 Murano with the 6 disc changer (not Bose) and no wiring harness. I have a hard time accepting NO as an answer from the dealer, so I know there HAS to be a was to add the OEM Sirius to my ride. Who knows the part number for the wiring harness needed. I can find the unit on eBay including the antenna, just need to know the right harness to purchase and have the audio dealer install clean. Any thoughts?

JD

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Looks like this post has been dead for a while, but I'll give it a try. I have a 2010 Murano with the 6 disc changer (not Bose) and no wiring harness. JD
JD-

Were you told by the dealer that you do not have the harness or did you check yourself?

-njjoe

·
Registered
6 Posts
JD-

Were you told by the dealer that you do not have the harness or did you check yourself?

-njjoe

Joe,

I checked myself AND the dealer confirmed with me after the fact. It's a 2010. The link above says that it only costs $121 based on everyone's comments, but it appars to be a over $200 bucks. Any ideas? I have had Sirius for 5 years and HAVE to have NFL radio to hear about my Giants updates. Your thoughts?

JD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts