Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your thoughts were.

We bought our Murano in April of '03 and we currently have 28K miles. About half of those miles were from trips to Florida and Minnesota a few times.

I called the dealer on Saturday (01/28/06) to schedule an appointment this week and they immediately quoted the Premium Maintenance package at $565.

The wife and I have been very good about the service intervals and have done everything by the book but this one is a little pricey.

I printed out the Vehicle Care page from the Nissan site and had a friend of mine look at everything that they do versus the S1 and S2 Maintenance packages and he told me it was a little over kill. He's not a certified mechanic but he is a gear head. He's pretty much built up his own Harley and does all the work on his and his wife's car. My only concern with his opinion is that he's used to working on older technology.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
If you look closely at each line on the 30K/24 month service checklist you will see that it is all "older technology". None of them are high-tech items requiring an inspection procedure that hasn't existed for 25 years. The only item that might be questionable is the inspection of the CVT fluid. The Consult-II diagnostic tool is used to determine if the oil is nearing the end of it's useful life. However, the algorithm used by Nissan indicates a useful life well in excess of the 30k miles you have driven.

At the 30k/24 month service the dealer is rotating your tires and replacing three items:
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- In-Cabin Micro Filter

That's it.

The rest of the service items are inspections. And I doubt that it is any more than a cursory inspection at that. A reliable mechanic is more than capable of doing the job.

My suggestion is to have this work done by a reliable mechanic and save a few hundred dollars.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Don't forget about Air filter replacement during that service check... something you can do yourself in 5 minutes.

Take a look at this schedule I combined from the manuals.

MO Schedule

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njjoe said:
If you look closely at each line on the 30K/24 month service checklist you will see that it is all "older technology". None of them are high-tech items requiring an inspection procedure that hasn't existed for 25 years. The only item that might be questionable is the inspection of the CVT fluid. The Consult-II diagnostic tool is used to determine if the oil is nearing the end of it's useful life. However, the algorithm used by Nissan indicates a useful life well in excess of the 30k miles you have driven.

At the 30k/24 month service the dealer is rotating your tires and replacing three items:
- Oil
- Oil Filter
- In-Cabin Micro Filter

That's it.

The rest of the service items are inspections. And I doubt that it is any more than a cursory inspection at that. A reliable mechanic is more than capable of doing the job.

My suggestion is to have this work done by a reliable mechanic and save a few hundred dollars.

-njjoe
Thanks for the response.

However, on Nissan's website, the Premium Maint. says that it replaces these items:
*Replace engine oil and filter
*Lubricate all locks/hinges
*Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
*Replace differential oil
*Replace engine air filter
*Replace engine coolant/flush system
*Replace engine drive belts
*Replace free-running wheel bearing grease
*Replace fuel filter
*Replace in-cabin microfilter
*Replace radiator cap
*Replace wiper blades
*Rotate tires

And then the inspection sheet is a mile long. So, is all this really necessary at 28k miles? My thoughts were; oil change/filter, roatate tires, fuel filter but I wasn't sure about all those other items they listed.

One more thing, the wife is VERY picky about taking the MO to someone else besides a Nissan dealer. All of our regular maintenance has been done by the same dealer and we're quite happy with them. When I had the alternator issue, they were the only dealer within the Chicagoland area that took me right away and replaced it within a couple of hours. The other dealers were telling me 1-2 weeks.

TIA.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Murry said:

Thanks for the response.

However, on Nissan's website, the Premium Maint. says that it replaces these items:
*Replace engine oil and filter
*Lubricate all locks/hinges
*Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
*Replace differential oil
*Replace engine air filter
*Replace engine coolant/flush system
*Replace engine drive belts
*Replace free-running wheel bearing grease
*Replace fuel filter
*Replace in-cabin microfilter
*Replace radiator cap
*Replace wiper blades
*Rotate tires

TIA.
I'm curious what dealer you are using...We used Gerald of Naperville and were not so happy. When we bought the SE-R we went to Bill Kay in Downers Grove and so far everything has been great!

Anyways...

If it were me - which it was...

I would decline the service on
*Lubricate all locks/hinges - Can of WD-40 $1.00
*Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid - No need @ 30K There is a thread about this somewhere.
*Replace differential oil - No need @ 30K
*Replace engine air filter - $20 part and 5 minutes
*Replace engine coolant/flush system - No need @ 30K
*Replace engine drive belts - No need @ 30K
*Replace free-running wheel bearing grease - Uhh...
*Replace fuel filter - maybe depending on price - seems early
*Replace in-cabin microfilter - No need to replace part is washable
*Replace radiator cap - As long as the new one is polished
*Replace wiper blades - $20 and 10 minutes
*Rotate tires (depending on your situation this can be done on your own - or purchase a lifetime balance/rotation from Discount Tire).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Here are my comments on this:

*Replace engine oil and filter ($35 service max)
*Lubricate all locks/hinges (not necessary)
*Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid (reasonable price would be $150 for drain and refill of 5qts, $300 for full flush of 10qts - assuming $20 per quart and labor)
*Replace differential oil (reasonable would be $60 for parts and labor)
*Replace engine air filter (5 minutes labor, $10 part)
*Replace engine coolant/flush system (reasonable cost $100)
*Replace engine drive belts (reasonable cost $100 for both)
*Replace free-running wheel bearing grease (its unlikely they would ever repack the bearings)
*Replace fuel filter (this cannot be replaced on the Murano)
*Replace in-cabin microfilter (15 minutes labor, $25 part)
*Replace radiator cap (not necessary)
*Replace wiper blades ($20 [email protected] $10 each, don't forget the rear blade too, so make that $30 total)
*Rotate tires ($30 max - should be free if they actually repack your wheel bearings)

Add it all together and the total price you were quoted is not unreasonable. However, I would be willing to bet that they will jack up the price when they realize the CVT uses a special fluid (very expensive). Of course, all you *need* to do is change the oil, air filter, cabin filter, and rotate the tires. But if you are absolutely anal about maintenance, there is never such a thing as having too much work done if you are willing to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
replacing the drive belts at 30k miles is absurd.

I loved it when they were going to "check timing" on mine at 15k.

I said, "I'd have to see that one--what you gonna do, adjust the crankshaft?"
:2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:)

Thanks guys, this is what I needed. I thought it was a little "over-kill" with that huge list of things they want to do. I didn't think the MO needed all that done.

When I show up tomorrow I'll just ask for the:

*Oil/Filter change
*Rotate and balance the tires (I feel a slight vibration at higher speeds)
*Engine air filter

Other than the alternator, the MO has been a wonderful vehicle to own. No rattles, no squeaks, no problems. We actually might trade it in for a '06. :D

GMTURBO43, I go to the dealer on RT64 in North Lake. They're about 5 minutes from I-290. It's Al Piemote Nissan.

I live in Chicago but the dealers around me are pricks.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
It is no secret that dealers are out to make money. They would like to sell you a car at the MSRP, they would like you to finance it through them, they would like you to buy all accessories and parts from them, and they would like to perform all repairs and maintenance on your car.

The Premium Maintenance Package your dealer is recommending is even more rigorous than the Schedule 1 Maintenance Schedule in the Service Manual. They are trying to make money by selling you a service you don't need.

For example, the dealer's Premium Maintenance Package is charging you to change the drive belts. However, the Schedule 1 Maintenance Schedule doesn't even formally require inspecting them until 48 months/60K miles!

The fuel filter is listed as a "maintenance-free item" in the Maintenance Schedule. Your dealer is suggesting you replace it every 2 years! That is contradictory to what Nissan indicates.

I am surprised your dealer is not suggesting you also replace the spark plugs whiles he's at it.

If you are adamant about taking the car to the dealer, then just tell him specifically what you want done - Oil change, tire rotation, and in-cabin filter. You can have the dealer change the engine air filter or do it yourself.

If you are handy around cars then I would suggest doing the work yourself. Or bring a six-pack over to your buddy's house and the two of you can change the oil and filter (relatively easy), replace air filter (easy), rotate the tires (easy), replace cabin filter (relatively easy if you follow instructions posted on this forum), inspect fluid levels (easy), and lubricate hinges and doorlocks.:7:

Or better yet, bring a case over to your buddy's house and watch as he does the work. (I have been on both ends of that one :D )

Remember, the dealer is not necessarily looking out for your best interests, but he is most definitely looking out for his.:4:

Good luck.

-njjoe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts