Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as we were about to buy a 2003 Murano SL AWD we learned of the six-speed manual shift mode on the 2004 SE.

Any information from those with experience using it would be appreciated.

We're trying to decide whether it's worth the extra money. The first dealer to quote us a price on the 2004 offered us $1,000 above invoice. I've been quoted a few hundred dollars _below_ invoice for a 2003 SE AWD and a few hundred dollars _above_ invoice for a comparably -- in 2003 terms -- equipped SL.

Thanks in advance.

David G.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you really like a manual transmission, go for it! I love em, but living with the CVT in teh Murano has been a new world. No shifting, always right in the power band and ALWAYS has the perfect gear ratio. Wow! I have to admit, it felt a little strange at first, but now, after 8000 miles, it seems totally natural.

One more thing. Resale. It is more difficult to resale a manual transmission car. It just limits the market. A few want SUV's with a manual, but most want them without having to shift.

My personal opinion? A manual transmission should be less expensive to the customer not more and I personally would not concider a manual after having the CVT.

Lastly. We are talking about the Murano here..... I would NOT want an automatic or a CVT in my 350Z.......

Matthew

(Murano SE, Plished Pewter, 295/45R20.....)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The manual tranny in the 2004 SEs is not a regular manual...Its a shifttronic/manuamatic whatever you want to call it. It still has the CVT but the computer has 6 pre-selected gear ratios to act as your six gears and you can shift from one ratio to another like a sequential transmission.

·
4,664 Posts
Doing manual shifting will be a lot of fun, and you'll fall behind from the guy that just takes his CVT and floors it....

It's the same transmission, just a different shifter and firmware load for the transmission.

It's nothing more than a toy. One that I'd like to have to play with, but there's no way I'd give up Ds and L for it!!!! Ds is great when you want to be in a sport mode and have the performance optimised for you. Why drive a Champ Car when your transimission's already set up like an F1 car?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I rarely do this, because I am always open minded to accept both sides of an argument, but in this case I will give wholeheartedly say...

NO. The manumatic makes absolutely no sense in this car. The only reason I could think of would be to 'try' and improve your quarter mile time but
1) if you bought the MO for 1/4 mile sprints you made a BIG mistake
2) questionable whether you could actually keep the engine in a better range of the powerband by forcing the shifts when you choose.

Incidentally, I bought the 2003 SE for 1,000 below invoice, not a few hundred. Even carsdirect.com has them for close to that price so you might try that to leverage a 2003 deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
jaak said:
One that I'd like to have to play with, but there's no way I'd give up Ds and L for it!!!! Ds is great when you want to be in a sport mode and have the performance optimised for you.
Man, I totally forgot it doesnt come with Ds mode. Yeah, kinda counter-productive if you think about it but some people like having more "control" over their cars even if the car does a better job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We ordered a 2004 SE and it is on the way. Today I called Nissan and asked what is the manual mode. What they said is that it has the regular automatic transmission with D and all that but then there is a button you can switch to go into the manual mode and then decide on the gear you want to be in. They said if you do not switch the button it is just like the SL. This is what the technical supervisor told me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that the manual shifter was just a CVT with set aspect ratios. It is just like the CVT in the MINI Cooper we sell here at my store. It seems like "faking" gears would be counter productive somehow. The stregnth of the CVT is the infinate variety of gear ratios, keeping revs up is very productive in performance driving, set ratios isn't really. Maybe I am just being a goofball..... But I love technology!

·
Registered
76 Posts
melamo.. no offence.. but i liked how you find out these things after you ordered your MO! heehe :wink:

anyways.. the manumatic is bascially tiptronic found in most luxury sports sedans/suvs. the x5 has it, audi's have it, tl has it *drool 04 tl* g35, the list goes on etc. etc.

you don't have to use it, its just a toy. you just simply gear up and down yourself using a +/- lever.
if you choose not to drive it, the MO will drive regularly in D mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have been ordering our 2004 SE since August and then they didn't even know what the changes were. We decided to just go for it since we liked the way the SE handled.

·
4,664 Posts
If they had slipped in Ds as well, it would have been perfect. Ds keeps the engine revs up, and is better than D if you're in a sporty mood.

It would be interesting to have someone drive both through a closed course to see the differences. Actually two people. One who is excellant at understanding how to optimise a manual transmission, and one who isn't.

Either way, I expect Ds would edge out manual shifting.

·
5,268 Posts
if this is CVT with pre-programed 6 different ratios - no. If this is classic 6-speed auto (I do not believe it) - no.

Again, it is only my opinion. I love CVT. And having Ds and L is more than sufficient to drive this car. Unless somebody wants turbo and a manual tranny...but this is completely different story......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Better acceleration for passing maybe?

I was also considering waiting for the 2004 for the 6-speed manumatic transmission. I am thinking that having the ability to take the RPM's to a higher level (which is really all the CVT system will allow) could assist in better acceleration in passing situations. For those of you with 2003's, is passing acceleration even an issue since the 3.5 has pretty good torqe?

·
5,268 Posts
Never had any issues with passig! Especially when you flip it to Ds! You get almost instant kick!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nope not at all. You can't chirp the tires like on a manual car, but if you floor it, it will take off nicely. No problems passing at all with CVT. Keep in mind though, that we're talking about a 16+ second 1/4 mile car here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also considering a few others.....

While I am not expecting the Murano to be a rocket ship I am comparison shopping it to the Audi Allroad (2.7T with 6-speed manual) and the 2004 Dodge Durango (with Hemi). I drove the 2003 Murano and thought the acceleration was decent (handled nice though). I havn't got my hands on the Durango yet but expect the overall weight to outweigh the performance benefits of the Hemi (and I'm sure handling will be less than exciting). On the other hand, the Allroad with the 2.7T is standard with 250HP and can be easily chipped (for $695) to 306 HP and 360 lb. ft of torque. Plus the 6-speed helps overcome the turbo lag issue the car seems to have. For the money though - which always matters - the Murano seems to be the best choice.

·
5,268 Posts
You are not wrong..........:D

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
IMO, the adjustable CVT shift on the 04 would be good for adjusting the engine braking going down hill. If I were shopping now, I would have to weigh the cost advantage of an '03 over an '04 (presumption is better deal on '03). But, there are other options that are more important to me than the adjustable shifter (presumption is can find closer match to what you want in an '04). With that said, it would be nice, just not sure how much it would be worth to me if I could add it to my '03. Maybe $200.

·
4,664 Posts
I wonder, if you put it between the + and - how it acts. I suppose it shifts on it's own if you ignore it. It would be interesting to compare that to Ds. I thought about what would be involved in converting one, but not to lose Ds....

As far as the acceleration, you better time it, as feel is not a good way in the Murano. Often I don't think I'm accelerating that well, until I notice all the cars behind me, that used to be beside me... The lack of shift points, deceives your brain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts