Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while driving in the latest snowstorm I experienced an event that I found to be curious to say the least.

I was driving on the Garden State Parkway with the cruise control set at 69-70, the road was partially snow covered :ucrazy: (yeah, I know, stupid on my part, but traffic was sparse, my sight-line was clear and the month-old tires inspired confidence) when the MO hit a patch of deeper snow and started to act squirrelly. :eek: I knew not to hit the brakes and reached for the cruise control's OFF button instead. However, before I touched the switch the car started to slow down on it's own. It looks like the AWD system detected an amount of wheel slip that exceeded a certain threshhold and it automatically disengaged the cruise control. I like that.

After 4-1/2 years the MO still amazes me with new bells and whistles. :4:

-njjoe

·
MO'ing since 5/16/07
341 Posts
I learned the hard way years ago not to use cruise in [potentially] slippery conditions. I was a senior in college and driving my parents' conversion van on Thanksgiving day. I hate a patch of ice on a 2-lane and immediately shot into the oncoming lane - if there had been a car coming we'd probably have been dead. I managed to correct and get the van back on the right side of the road, but the back right tire slipped over the edge of a ditch and I was never able to get it out - eventually slid into the snow filled ditch. I think the fact that the cruise kept the wheels spinning might have kept me from completely recovering.

That was 17 years ago, and I still get a little freaked out on slippery roads from that experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats interesting if it is. I know here in chattanooga there was someone driving on the interstate and it was rainy and they had the cruise on. Aparently when the car hydroplaned the tires tried to ger back up to speed and caused her to hit a barrier head on and killed her. Its a great feature and anotehr thing to love about these cars.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
It makes sense for the cruise control system to disengage when AWD kicks in. That definitely saved you!

I never set cruise on when it is raining or roads are slippery because I have seen what could happen. My father in law once did that in his supra. When the car hit a bit of standing water it hydroplaned and left the road and then rolled 4 times before coming to stop. It was a miracle no one was killed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would imagine the cruise control is interfaced with the AWD. I had a Nissan X-Trail AWD prior to my MO and it said in the manual that if traction was lost while cruise control was set it would turn off. I haven't checked the MO"s manual.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gonzo said:
Interesting, I didn't see anything in the 2003 manual.
Looky here....

Since I do not have traction control, it is safe to assume the activation of the AWD clutch is also a trigger for shutting down the cruise control.

The Nissan engineers were pretty smart on this one. They knew there would be some idiot who would be stupid enough to drive on a snow-covered highway with the cruise control engaged. :rolleyes: I thank them for looking out for me. :4:

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
njjoe;

You guys ARE getting dumped on! We want our snow back :D

I was just reading the manual for my XC90 and read a related operations for that vehicle.

It states that the cruise control will disengage when a wheel slip is detected.

I would immagine that the MO is the same.

It must use the ABS sensor in the wheel hubs to monitor traction since that is the same sensor used to aid AWD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have installed cruise control units on some older model cars and even in the 1980's the units came with an over-rev sensor that was placed over a spark plug. If the engine accelerated abruptly such as in a wheel spin situation on ice it would automatically shut off the cruise. This would not help in a hydroplane situation where the wheel actually slowed as it hydroplaned thus not triggering an engine over-rev situation. The technology to shut down the cruise in certain situations is not new but it has probably improved immensely since I worked on them. All this new technology is great but when something electronic fails it seems to affect several more safety related components which can run into the thousands of $$$ to diagnose let alone repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Note this thread was from 2010.....

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
It looks like the AWD system detected an amount of wheel slip that exceeded a certain threshhold and it automatically d xender discord omegle isengaged the cruise control. I like that.
I think your keyboard is playing tricks on you. This is the second response of yours that seems confusing. I'm trying to understand: "...and it automatically d xender discord omegle isengaged the cruise control..."

What does that mean? Did your keyboard drop some text in the middle of your comment? If so, please edit the comment for clarity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts