Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Sunlit Copper with black leather interior. The quality of the leather used by Nissan is a subject for another time, I was wondering if there were some treatment on the market to apply to the seats that would make them a bit more flexible and supple ?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
When I first purchased my Murano, I used a bottle of lexol leather "creme" I had lying around. Check out the gallery forum under the post "midnight blue with dark interior" for some pics I took after treating my seats.

You are right - the leather on the seats are not too great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Eric, I'll try and find the creme you mentioned. On the leather quality issue, I traded an 02 Chrysler 300M that was fully loaded and the leather in those seats was primo !! In this area, Nissan could take some lessions from Chrysler !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just used Armor-All cleaner/treater for leather (make sure it's the one FOR LEATHER) and it worked fairly well...does NOT make seats shiny the way regular Armor-All does on vinyl/rubber. I suspect a true treatment cream would make the seats more supple, though.

I, too, am underimpressed with the quality of the leather used in these seats.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I suspect that Nissan believes that big fat American asses have enough padding, lol.

Can't compare the leather quality to my wife's 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero.

It's a matter of leather "grade" and padding, I guess.
You can take the cheapest rug in the world, upgrade the padding and make it 10 times more comfortable, if you want to.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
BTW, the leather on the seats is only on the "seating surfaces." The side boasters, seat sides, back, and headrest are vinyl. Look closely and you will notice the difference in grain pattern. I do notice that the outside boasters (near the door) are different than the inside boasters (near the center console) on both seats. It looks like vinyl near the door, leather near the console. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was so impressed with the rest of the MO that the detail and quality of the interior just sort of slipped by me, my bad ! Its still one fine auto !!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I actually like the leather. I found it softer then ....let say in comparison to my friends Escalade, which was harder. Just my 2 cents, then again this is my first leather interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lexol

Lexol is a leather conditioner and preservative made by Summit Industries 1-800-241-6996. They also make a Vinyl treatment product. If you call them they may send you a free sample.

You should be able to find it at most of the auto supply stores. Pep Boys, Checker, Auto Zone etc.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You can get it for a few dollars cheaper if you have a Costco nearby. They used to carry it, don't know if they do anymore. I regret not buying more than one bottle when they did have it (now I live in Walmart country where they only have Sams Club...no more Costco for me :( ).

Correction above: it was LEXOL creme, not Zymol. I use Zymol wax.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you are really serious about the leather (I am) the very best is something called Leatherique.
I have used it for at least 20-25 years on all my cars. I almost always get leather.

It is not cheap but it works well.
I was introduced to it by Jag collector in Anaheim Calif about 1977-78 I think.
He had just started using it. Prior to that he used something called Connelly Hyde Food. I think Connelly's is still considered to be among the very best also.

I use what is called "restorer" about twice a year.
I think it has softened the Nissan leather "slightly".
But as noted, my Mustangs, Chryslers, etc all had a better quality leather than Nissan. And of course my 93 Jag was far superior.
I also have their cleaner and use that maybe once a month or after I get out of the Murano with dirty hands etc.

It's not cheap. But it lasts a long time, smells good and is the best in the world IMO.

Look here

http://www.leatherique.com/

Homer

I'm sure that regualar leather cleaners and conditioners are suffucient.
I jst never let a $10 bill (or so) keep me from buying the best. That's just me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes the steering wheel and shift knob for what it's worth... The leather layer on the knob is so thin that you can almost see through it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've tried everything on my leather interiors over the years. and have settled (like Homer) on Leatherique as the best I've ever tried.

It's also awesome for "fixing" problem leather that's been neglected over the years.

I used the restorer about 3 times per year and the cleaner monthly (on all three vehicles).

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
meguir's has got a wipe, (in a can) which you just pull out and wipe the seats.. it's convient, plus the meguir's line I've used before, and it's good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts