Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 04 MO in to have the stereo head unit replaced for the 3rd time. They took the car in right away... while waiting I heard the stereo blaring for a second or two with my CD music.. About 2 hrs later the tech comes back to me to tell me the replacement unit was more defective than the one I'd been driving with... there was nothing showing up on the display while radio or Cd were on, no volume, tuning, or audio controls displayed either.. they put the first one back in and told me they'd have one within a week.

Maybe I'm just begining to doubt the dealership out of frustration with the situation and having the 5th unit in the dash since I bought it last July. I'm bringing the MO in tomorrow. All of a sudden I realized that all of my presets for A,B,and C were all still there, the clock too. Wouldn't they have all been lost when replacing the head unit? Is the replacement possible with the battery connected?? I dont' think the dealership wrote 'em all down or anything. Did they not do the work they claimed to do???

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
That is strange. To replace the head unit they have to disconnect the power from it (even if they don't touch the battery) and I am sure all the presets would be lost. When I pulled mine to put the PAC unit in I am sure I lost my presets......or did I? :confused:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yes when you pull the power connector off the head all presets are lost... the time is still maintained. I found this out when adding the XM receiver...

Side note if you disconnect the SAT reciever but do NOT disconnect power to the head all your SAT presets are lost. I guess for the brief time it is disconnect the head unit thinks there is not SAT reciever... no SAT reciever I guess you don't need the presets. Otherwise would the SAT presets be stored in the reciever... I can't believe that.

·
4,664 Posts
Yes, the sat unit stores the sat presets. When the radio wakes up and asks the sat unit if it's there, it says yes, then sends the presets to the head unit as part of the start up.

Pull the power on the radio to swap it, lose all the presets. That's how it works. Sure can smell it, hope you didn't step in any.

Now, the remote possibility exists that they wrote down all your presets and programmed them back in.

(Imagine that. Finding a thoughtful and thorough dealer!)

·
Registered
719 Posts
jaak said:
Yes, the sat unit stores the sat presets. When the radio wakes up and asks the sat unit if it's there, it says yes, then sends the presets to the head unit as part of the start up.

Pull the power on the radio to swap it, lose all the presets. That's how it works. Sure can smell it, hope you didn't step in any.

Now, the remote possibility exists that they wrote down all your presets and programmed them back in.

(Imagine that. Finding a thoughtful and thorough dealer!)
That is one of the first steps that a competent dealer is supposed to do whenever they have to disconnect the battery.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
To clarify, there are something like 3 or 4 plugs on the back of the stereo unit. If they only unplugged one from the original unit to plug into the new unit, the new unit might seem defective in the manner described and the old unit might not lose it's presets.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
To clarify, there are something like 3 or 4 plugs on the back of the stereo unit. If they only unplugged one from the original unit to plug into the new unit, the new unit might seem defective in the manner described and the old unit might not lose it's presets.
When I pulled mine, there was barely any room to work with it unless you unplugged and removed the whole thing. So I doubt if they tried to change the unit while still attched to the rest of the set-up. But then again anything is possible....we are talking about a NIssan dealership....:D

·
4,664 Posts
I agree, you have to get the old one out of the way first, to connect the new one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Part of the procedure for working on the stereo is for the tech to write down the presets before disconnecting the power, and they program them back in before they return the car to you. That said, its likely the dealer did not do this, and didn't even disconnect the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts