Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
just wondering how would the AMSOIL affect the car's fuel efficiency. i have got this one into my engine for about 4 months now and car is running great. But got one issue now... the CVT is toasted. my fuel efficieny has gone down to 11 MPG.. at my full gas tank (about 73 Litres)i am getting only 300 -- 350 km. got my alternator changed the other week. and before that, my brakes, CD player and steering switch for audio .... and just this weekend got my Service Engine soon light came on. took it to the dealership and was told the problem is with CVT. they are gonna order a new transmission now.
so after all this mess... i am thinking of getting the murano changed over to an '05 one BUT the question remains, WOULD IT BE WORTH IT. after watching the problems started to come out with '04s now and the '05 still being newer ones.... how can i be sure that these problems wouldnt happen on my new car.
i got the '03 SE AWD murano all but NAV package. and have only 29K kilometres on it.

Please advise with your opinions
thanks

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
.... how can i be sure that these problems wouldnt happen on my new car.

I don't think anything is "sure" but death and taxes" and that the Mo looks good. Grip :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
it sounds like you've just about fixed everything that's be discussed on these boards.

Grip - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the '05s addressed and fixed all of the issues on the older models. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
To be honest I've never really had any serious problems with with my Mo and my is one of the earlier one. I purchased mine June '03 and other then the squeeky window and chair, I haven't had any major failures with alternator, or any major components. I am currently at over 36k miles so I've put a pretty good amount of driving on it. All I can imagines is that the '05 has to be better in some way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My '03 SE AWD has 22,000 miles and no issues, so I would love to have a brand new one. But after all your problems I am suprised you would think of another Murano -- I would hate to give mine up, but if I were in your shoes I would have a hard time trusting that a new one would be the answer. There MUST be some things you really like about the car? And I must say I admire your optimism!

·
4,994 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update !!

Well guys,
Nissan sent out the TCM (transmission control module or the BRAIN OF CVT) for my car and it did got installed today. the guy told me they took it for a test drive and apparently the problem has been solved. Da Wafe is gonna pick it up and i cant wait to drive my beauty again.... it is indeed just AWESOME.

so i will post another update after doing some highway testing and some city testing on how it has changed.

Hasaan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Somehow I thought CVTs ought to be more reliable than a gearbox, simply because there are fewer parts in them:)

I guess there are still many rough edges in the technology... Audi does it well though.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Guarantee that the CVT is far more reliable than any Honda automatic transmission hooked up to their V6 for instance.
The Odyssy alone has had thousands of failed trannys.

There are way over a 1000 Muranos here and very few failed CVTs. Very few. I doubt that you could scare up 10.

There is no indication that Audi builds a better CVT than Jatco.

Homer

·
Registered
281 Posts
Over 2500 MO's at this site alone!

·
4,994 Posts
Spin_Echo

Careful this can be a 'No Spin Zone" if you are mean to the MO. GRIP :2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts