Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago the wife and I were driving along and the engine started sputtering. She released the gas and it went away, but she could not get past 1500 rpms. I waited for the MIL to come on and ran the car's codes.

-Random Multiple Misfire
-Cylinder 4 Misfire
-Bank 1 O2 Sensor

I replaced all plugs, as well as the appropriate O2 sensor (SEE ATTACHED).
It was fried. So I thought for sure this was my culprit.... Nope. It ran like new for about 2 miles, then started sputtering and losing power around 1250 rpms to 1500 rpms. Again, when you let off the throttle, its fine. I can even sometimes throttle through it and haul ass, but not all the time. Pulled the codes again and it had like 7 or 8 this time. Random mult. misfire, TPS sensor, TPS pedal sensor, some speed sensor, cam shaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and catalytic converter inefficiency.

I reset the codes, historic codes as well. and started back at square one. Making sure I was getting spark on all cylinders. I checked all coil packs for spark. Checked my injectors by unplugging while in idle and they are all contributing. My MAF is good, TPS is responding when unplugged, Pulled off my Main cat and it was reduced to crumbles and dust. I thought for sure this was my problem. And again, it ran like new for about 2 miles. Then it started doing the same thing, only much louder now. My next step is to pull off my Bank 1 precat. I have already checked my Bank 2 precat and it seems to be working fine.

In park and neutral there is no problems. I can rev it to the redline with misfiring, but no sputtering.

In drive it starts misfiring and losing power around 1250 rpms.
Sometimes I can throttle through it, and sometimes I can't.

I know alot of people have or have had similar problems, and I would like to know if anything less than a new tranny fixed the problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Doesn't sound like cats or transmission to me. Unfortunately not many other ideas.

Just for grins - have you checked to see what voltage your battery is putting out? It sounds electrical to me and for some reason, too many problems on the Murano lead back to the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]Just for grins - have you checked to see what voltage your battery is putting out? It sounds electrical to me and for some reason, too many problems on the Murano lead back to the battery.[/QUOTE]

I will try that. My battery recently died on me, but jump started with no problem. I have an Optima Redtop. They are all I have ever used. If that was my problem, it would be a first.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
I will try that. My battery recently died on me, but jump started with no problem. I have an Optima Redtop. They are all I have ever used. If that was my problem, it would be a first.

Thanks for the suggestion :D
If it's a fairly new battery, then you should be OK. Never hurts to put a digital voltmeter across the terminals and make sure that you have more than 12V with the engine off and more than 14V right after you start it.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Exactly. That's the voltmeter function of a multimeter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, check if your alternator is not charging too much. Your ECU may not like it hence all the sensor errors. If not, the ECU may have some issues. All these sensors cannot go bad all at the same time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just because you're getting 'enough' fuel to rev it in neutral does not mean there's enough PRESSURE to get the car moving under load. Many - many cars I've fixed over the years have enough pressure to do just what you're describing but will not allow the car to move on it's own. Some people were lucky enough to idle the car in gear at a few miles per hour to get off the freeway...

Look at the facts:
lean misfire
O2 failure
Cat failure

This tells me to look at fuel...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just because you're getting 'enough' fuel to rev it in neutral does not mean there's enough PRESSURE to get the car moving under load. Many - many cars I've fixed over the years have enough pressure to do just what you're describing but will not allow the car to move on it's own. Some people were lucky enough to idle the car in gear at a few miles per hour to get off the freeway...

Look at the facts:
lean misfire
O2 failure
Cat failure

This tells me to look at fuel...
^ +1 on this. I'd start with a fuel pressure test.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Considering this is a first generation Murano, and we are dealing with lean misfire under load, but not at idle, I would very carefully check the air intake ducts from Air Flow Sensor to intake manifold for any cracks and leaks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it wasn't for all the other sensor errors I would say to also check the plug wires especially for corrosion where they connect to the coil pack or pinholes on the plug boot.

With the other sensor errors and recent replacement of the battery you may also want to check the grounds and alternator.

Be careful since if the issue is electrical and not fuel you want to get it fixed before you ruin another cat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be the alternator. I've had over 21 cars so far, and I've never seen an alternator do that, and yet...
Here's what would happen - I would be driving along fine, then all of a sudden all power would die, and the car would only idle. Any attempt at increasing throttle pressure would cause it to want to stall. And yet, she would idle just fine. I finally clued in when I hooked up a booster pack to the battery. While that was connected, she drove completely normal, so I knew it was either battery or alternator. I made it to the mechanic who confirmed it was the alternator. I replaced it, and it's been fine ever since (that was 6 months ago).
Hope that helps!
Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts