Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The J.D. Power ratings for 2003 are out. Interesting to see how poorly Nissan did.
It seems that what we have here is:
- great powertrain from Nissan
- great body style – no doubt influence of European (Renault)
- unfortunately poor workmanship ( “French” input?)

Hope it all will improve overtime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Been out of town and just saw this. Remember, JD Power starts with the answer and designs the question to match the desire of whoever is paying them. I trust them about as much as I trust Consumer Reports. (I owned an Audi 5000, and an Isuzu Trooper in a previous life, and I don't forget!)

·
Registered
243 Posts
ekaxel said:
Been out of town and just saw this. Remember, JD Power starts with the answer and designs the question to match the desire of whoever is paying them. I trust them about as much as I trust Consumer Reports. (I owned an Audi 5000, and an Isuzu Trooper in a previous life, and I don't forget!)

Audi 5000

Me too !

Can't complain .....

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, some of the names on the best list, make me laugh.... Oh well, that's another source that just lost all credibility with me!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
And that's the way it goes.

When JD Powers is slamming our own north american cars, many of us snort about how north american workers are lazy and drink too much etc. (Not actually US if course! Hust those slovenly union workers at the big three) And we prove it by quoting the JD Powers reports that prove our point.
I've seen that done over and over again in the Japanes vs American car debates.

But let the north americans workd hard, and ever so slowly build better cars (IN IQ) than our Favs, and JD Powers has lost credibility.

As I have maintained since I joined this board, my Chrysler T&C was built much better than my Murano.
It wasn't designed as well, but it was built better.

I mean really, the Nissan workers FORGOT to tighten the steering rack?

Sounds like too damn much saki to me.
And then the dealership tightened the rack with the steering wheel 15 degrees off center, requiring another return to the dealership!

Bottom line, Nissan has problems.
They have entirely too many cars going in for waranty service too many times.
This not only cuts into profits, it just kills the reputation.
AND these cars are being taken in to a dealer network that needs work.
There are good dealer service departments.
There are others that maintain that the Nissan has a maintenance free battery even after they have ben challenged on this. That take two trips to perform a TSB correctly.
Sheese.

Some say "everybody has problems".

true.
So?
These are Murano owners who have reported these problems. And Jaguar owners, etc who have reported their problems, etc.
It is unlikely that Nissan owners are more picky.
It is unlikely that Jaguar owners are more forgiving.

Nope not in this house.
I had to take a ration of "Powers" for years when all the Japs beat all the Americans.
Now the situation, while not reversed, is developing that north american cars are being built a lot better, and I for one am going to give them credit for it.

Read the forum. Read the Powers report.
Believe it.
It was written by us.
:1:

Homer

·
Registered
202 Posts
hfelknor said:
Read the forum. Read the Powers report.
Believe it.
It was written by us.
So, by that logic, if the people on this forum and J.D. Powers wrote that the moon's made of green cheese, I should believe it just because they wrote it? :rolleyes:

I take the posts on this forum and the J.D. Powers survey for what they are...expressions of opinion and individual experience. They certainly have a great value, and I'm interested in reading them, but I recognize that they're not scientific and that they are highly subject to bias. If it's true that J.D. Powers skews its results to accommodate those who are financing the survey (and I don't know that to be true....but it's an accusation that I've heard in a couple of places), then its reports are not reflections of users' experiences and are useless, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as whether Japanese cars are better built/designed than American cars, I'd like to see some scientific data on that issue. There's a lot of anecdotal data, but I'm not aware if there are any truly scientific studies that have been done. If anyone knows of one, please post the results!

My own anecdotal experience, based on the cars that I've owned and the cars that I've rented, is that the Japanese cars far outshone the American cars. The last American car that I owned was a Dodge Stealth. Great looking car (American designed) with a Mitsubishi (Japanese) engine. The engine ran like a champ. The body fell apart. Based on my experiences, it will be a long, long time before I purchase a car from an American manufacturer.

Jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dennis Fink said:
What an amazingly inappropriate and, frankly, irrational post.

If you've got a problem with something I've posted, have the cajones to address me directly. The passive-aggressive b.s. in your post is something most of us outgrew during elementary school.

You apparently have gotten bent out of shape because I dared to disagree with you. Well, too bad. I would think that someone who has been through the life experiences you noted above would have developed a somewhat thicker skin. Obviously, that's not the case. If you think that everyone must agree with you, then let me introduce you to the real world, because things just don't work that way.

I would encourage you to find an appropriate place to express your jealousy, anger, and outright hostility. This forum isn't it.

Jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dennis Fink said:
Have I insulted you in the past? Please let me know ...

You have to ask if you've insulted me??? After what you wrote just two short messages above, you can ask that question with a straight face??? Incredible. Let's go to the videotape:

Did you get "green cheesed"?

Well, at least your message didn’t get the extensive, in-depth analysis, or should I say, anal-ysis, like mine received in the "lurkers speak up!" thread. To top it off, two other members congratulated the clinical psychologist for a job well done, making me look like a fool and feel really UNWELCOME here. They mostly ignored the real point of my message, the statistics that supported sw1tched statement earlier in the thread. Instead, they went after my two little run-on, deliberately “inconsistent” sentences about some controversial issues. Duh! Or should I say, “Analyze That”.
You made deliberate and pointed references to statements I made in previous posts, you searched for and found another post I made and linked it in, and you not only recalled my stated profession but then angrily and hostily denigrated both my profession and me. And then you have the nerve to play innocent and wonder how in the world I could take umbrage at anything you have written? If you're being sincere (and frankly, I don't believe you are), then you're amazingly out of touch.

My post above is written to Homer.
No, it wasn't. If your post were intended for Homer, you would have written him privately. You chose to publicly bash me--and others--on this board under the guise of writing a private message to Homer. That's childish, and I called you on it.

Please stop analyzing my posts.
There's no "analyzing" of your posts--certainly not in the professional context that you conveyed. I get paid to do that, and I'm certainly not going to engage in pro bono work on a car enthusiasts message board. What I have done is merely disagree with some of the things that you've written. That's what these boards are for...the free exchange of ideas and opinions. If you haven't noticed, some people agree with what's been written; others disagree. That's just the nature of a discussion board, and you have to be willing to take it if you dish it out. If you can't stand the scrutiny, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting, and you especially shouldn't be posting things that you, yourself, term "controversial."

It seems to me that you are intimidated by me and by my profession, as evidenced by your outright hostility toward me. There's nothing I can do about that, but I don't have to put up with it. I'm not looking for an apology and, quite honestly, probably wouldn't believe you if you offered one. If you agree or disagree with something I post in other threads, feel free to state your case. But leave your hostility and personal insults out.

Jeff

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys no offence but keep the post less personal…. There is no place for personal insults on this board. Keep the discussion on a professional level.

PLEASE!

·
4,664 Posts
Hi Kris...

I was watching the J.D.Power ratings thread and trying to decide to step in, but I thought I'd see if they could work it out like grown up kids.

I agree with the friendly reminder, so we're on side.

Cheers, Jim

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
WOW, Like someone said before, or if not I will now. Turn off the computer, Go outside, Smell the roses. We had less bickering and pomposity on the political thread than this. I know we are car nuts but lets not be just plain nuts. If no one posts to this thread anymore then it will just go away. I know NO ONE asked my opinion and I amkind of sorry I wrote this, may delete it? Life is short and I don't have enought years left to do this either, think I go out and play with the MO. GRIP :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could this study possibly be skewed based on the fact that Nissan has come out with so many new models in the last few years. I mean they have basically redesinged their entire line of cars. Just a thought.

I have owned 3 NEW nissans in the last 3 years.

2002 Altima which I would still have if I had initially bought one with an automatic tranny. Had no issues with other than the fact that I could tell it wasnt buildt as well as Nissans built in Japan.

2003 Maxima which I had no issues with and only sold because I was in lust with the Mo.

And the 2k4 Mo, which overall I am happy with other than the fact that my dealer wont address my seat moving issue which there is a TSB for the 2k3 model but this dumb ass doesnt think that its an issue.

Oh and Ive owned an 88 Sentra which NEVER gave me a problem and ran like a champ until the day I donated it to charity. And of course my 300TT which is my love and even though I have put enough money in it to buy a new 350 or G-Coupe I still try to rationalize that addiction by saying the turbos made me do it. :)

Sorry Grip to keep it going but I had to get my .02 in

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you are right, too many models in too short time. Not to mention French influence and cost cutting measures applied during Nissan "rebirth".........

Let's hope that it is only temporary.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would have expected more quality from my second luxury Nissan. My first one was a 1990 300ZX TT (also a first year model, actually the 309th one out of the assembly line). The TT was way more solid and rattle free even if it had T-Tops.

To its credit, Nissan had the balls to introduce a CVT coupled to an engine pushing 245 HPs. They did it in the first true full-size luxury hybrid SUV.

I know that there are often birth problems in a first year vehicle introduction. According to the statistics taken from Nissan TSBs, the 2003 had a lot more glitches than the 2004 and it is encouraging for the 2005 model.

I had a few glitches and visited the dealer a few times myself but mostly because I will not accept anything wrong, even mildly, and let it go unnoticed on such a high-end vehicle.

Rattles? The passenger window one is being taken car of next week. Others were fixed by hunting them down one by one. A speaker will also be changed in the driver's door (distorsion problem). The tranny was fine and the problem is coming from a badly engineered parking brake bracket, located just above the driving shaft to the rear wheels. When the parking brake pedal is soft and if you hear a ticking sound, you'll know where it's coming from. This is bound to happen to everyone who use the parking brake as I do most of the time.

My sister's 2001 Altima is in the garage now getting Zaino'd. Back to the serious things... :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
"When the parking brake pedal is soft and if you hear a ticking sound, you'll know where it's coming from. "

Can you elaborate on this? When I first start out driving (and I use the E brake) driving on bumpy roads I getting this loud clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the steering area.

·
Registered
746 Posts
When the MO is on a lift, close to the front of the vehicle, you'll feel a bracket on top of the AWD drive shaft. The hissing noise comes from the friction between the revolving shaft and the bracket. The ticking occurs when the bracket heavily hits the drive shaft solder that create a linear bumpy area along the shaft.

The bracket is located between the front cable and the return spring on the attached PDF.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts