Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Let's see...

You are newlyweds. You scrape together all your money, borrow a bit from your in-laws, sell your motorcycle, sell the boat, give up the gym memberships, and take out a mortgage.

You find a nice house on a quiet side street. The neighborhood is quaint, the neighbors all seem nice, especially that retired couple across the street. The husband always seems to be tinkering around in his garage, working on his car, and playing with electronic gadgets.

Then you look out the window and see... :eek:

-njjoe

Kudos to special-k for posting the links!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njjoe said:
The neighborhood is quaint, the neighbors all seem nice, especially that retired couple across the street. The husband always seems to be tinkering around in his garage, working on his car, and playing with electronic gadgets.

That sounds more like Gripper -- another likely suspect for such shenanegans! :)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
OW!

special-k said:

That sounds more like Gripper -- another likely suspect for such shenanegans! :)
Who has been looking in my garage? ;)

·
4,601 Posts
OK, you guys are funny, because I saw that and checked into how "jaak" would do it...

The first thing I thought of, is how concerts are time coded to sync the light show with the act. Well you can get a controller that's even controlled with MIDI, if you want and program the lights. How much? Just a few hundred. Dirt cheap for that kind of capability!!!

So the scary reality is, it's not as tough to do as you might think!!!!

But please, don't do it next to my house!

And if you do, broadcast the music with an FM transmitter so people can pull up, tune in, and watch the show!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaak said:
OK, you guys are funny, because I saw that and checked into how "jaak" would do it...

The first thing I thought of, is how concerts are time coded to sync the light show with the act. Well you can get a controller that's even controlled with MIDI, if you want and program the lights. How much? Just a few hundred. Dirt cheap for that kind of capability!!!

So the scary reality is, it's not as tough to do as you might think!!!!

But please, don't do it next to my house!

And if you do, broadcast the music with an FM transmitter so people can pull up, tune in, and watch the show!
Isn't that a tad over-simplified? The controller may be available but that's only a very small part of the equation. Each section (or "bank") of lights would have to be individually wired to the controller -- no small feat! Add that to the actual programming of the choreography/syncronization... yikes!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Here is some info on "jaaks?" house-

From Associated Press
December 06, 2005 7:02 PM EST

MASON, Ohio - Some people at Christmas time are content to deck their homes with evergreen wreaths and holly, and maybe a few strings of lights made to look like glimmering icicles. Not Carson Williams.

He spends nearly two months hooking up 25,000 lights, then programs them to dance to Christmas music.

Hundreds of cars drive by his house north of Cincinnati every night to see the display, which also is posted on several Internet sites.

"So far, everyone's been really courteous," Williams said on NBC's "Today" show Monday. "I told the neighbors, I told the sheriff, if they get any complaints, I'll shut it down, because the neighbors are more important to me than the Christmas lights. I do the Christmas lights for myself."

This is the third year Williams has assembled the display, which grows every year. He said he merely built on a suggestion from his wife, Sherry.

"She wanted some lights on the house, and I work with computers, so I said, 'There's got to be a way to control it with computers,'" Williams said.

He explored the Web and found examples of other synchronized displays. It takes him about an hour to program each minute of the display, which flashes to music by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

That doesn't mean neighbors have to listen to the sound track repeat itself all night.

"The sound, we actually broadcast on a low FM transmitter, so there's actually no sound in the neighborhood," said Williams, an electrical engineer with Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions.

A sign tells passers-by where to tune to listen, and Williams often stays outside for hours at a time chatting with visitors and directing traffic.

"We've had no problems," said Dave Hare, who lives across the street.

But the first year, it took some explaining.

"We called it the psycho house," said Hare's wife, Michelle. "It was just weird random flashes. Then, he told us about the radio station and it was great."

·
4,601 Posts
special-k said:

Isn't that a tad over-simplified? The controller may be available but that's only a very small part of the equation. Each section (or "bank") of lights would have to be individually wired to the controller -- no small feat! Add that to the actual programming of the choreography/syncronization... yikes!
It would be labour intensive, but not difficult. The controllers allow you to pick patterns you've created, so each pattern can be called at will. Computer software for MIDI is abundant and programming the lights to run right along with music, is fairly easy. Making it look good, takes some practice. Wiring all the lights is also labour intensive, but not technically difficult.

So yeah, he put in an awful lot of work, and did a great job!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
That first link is probably the most impressive display of lights and music sync I've ever seen. I hope they guy doesn't live in a neighborhood where there is a home owners association! :D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I saw his interview on Good morning America

Nice Guy and family. Unfortunately the Police have shut him down due to the intensive traffic jams to see the display.

I think he works for GE. They Might have a new product for themselves for next Christmass. I can see a nice light kit / Fm transmitter / Lighsound sync unit.

Good product and job future if they are smart enough to grab it and run. Unfortunately a bunch of corportae nay sayers and lawyers will probably never let it get going.

·
4,601 Posts
No one's mentioned the smoke generators... You can sync them in the system too.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts